New Zealand PGY-2 for US-trained and licensed physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Envmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To help answer some of your questions.
1. I believe, but am not a hundred percent sure, you would not need to do the NZREX, if you graduate from medical school in the US you would have already done the USMLEs while in school. Also the 1st year intern year should count as your 12 months of work. For us to get fully registered over here we have to do 4 3month rotations in our first year out. One has to be Internal Med and the other surgery, then the other two can basically be anything (ie. psych, cardio, ENT, Ortho, etc).
2. All of the american doctors I have worked with over here have already done their residency before they made the leap. (Hence why I'm not sure if they would make you do NZREX if you hadn't finished this level yet).
3. Residencies work a lot different over here than in the US. For one you have to do at least two years post-grad (House officer years). Basically rotating around different specialties before you can try and get on a training program. Most people won't be successful after just two years and many people (especially surgical residencies and radiology) will have to be what is called a Senior House officer or a Non-training registar (doing the actual job that a training reg is doing but not getting any credit for it) for a few years before they get onto a program. This must be what your friends were talking about.
4. They might only give you provisional registration when you first came over which would mean that you technically could only work in a teaching hospital under supervision, but I'm pretty sure you would get full registration if you had done a full year back home.

Hope this helps a little

'

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few of us Yanks here working in the NZ medical system. I actually went to school over here so I don't really count as a US physician. But during school and since, I've met probably around 20 or so working in all different fields. Mainly ER, but also internal med, plastics, radiology, OBGYN, neurosurg, etc. I'm sure there is a good few hundred scattered all throughout the north and south island.

hi!! i am an overseas qualified dentist ,, can anyone help me out to know the list of books to refer for the NZDREX exam for registration as a dentist in New Zealand.:confused:.. plz help me...

There are a few of us Yanks here working in the NZ medical system. I actually went to school over here so I don't really count as a US physician. But during school and since, I've met probably around 20 or so working in all different fields. Mainly ER, but also internal med, plastics, radiology, OBGYN, neurosurg, etc. I'm sure there is a good few hundred scattered all throughout the north and south island.

So I gather that New Zealand will accept US med school and residency for licensure? I am researching a post residency clinical fellowship in New Zealand and am trying to figure out if I am eligible being US trained.