New Zealand student wanting to do ophtho elective in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjkpark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from New Zealand and currently in the process of organising an elective in the US next year. I would like to do 4 weeks of ophthalmology and 4 weeks of anaesthetics/intensive care.

I want to go to a place where there is good teaching, both in terms of didactic and clinical skills, as well as some exposure to acutes. Also as I won't have a car, preferrably a city with good public transport and lots of fun things to do nearby.

So far I've looked into Thomas Jefferson/Wills and Mt Sinai (New York). Any thoughts on which is better for elective?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well Wills would be a better place for the ophtho electice. you should also look into harvard as they also take international students for electives (but there is a fee)

GuP said:
well Wills would be a better place for the ophtho electice. you should also look into harvard as they also take international students for electives (but there is a fee)

Yeah... Like $3000....

Wills I think it's free.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes that is true. the fee can be waived if you show financial hardship. also try the cleveland clinic. they also take foreign students.

I thought you were 6th year this year sjk! I dont know anything regarding ophtho, but retinamark is a ophtho resident who I think is from oz so he presumably did electives and might be able to help you if you pm him

Purifyer said:
I thought you were 6th year this year sjk! I dont know anything regarding ophtho, but retinamark is a ophtho resident who I think is from oz so he presumably did electives and might be able to help you if you pm him

I decided to increase my student loan by doing an intercalated degree. I thought YOU were going to be a house officer this year - you sounded a lot more mature than 5th year last year. ;)