newbie applicant question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qbert

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate asking newbie questions, but here goes. I'm thinking about applying to dental school, and I'm taking the DATs this summer. But I'm not sure how competitive I am with other applicants or if I even stand a chance. I graduated in 1999 in Biomedical Engineering (w/ a pre-med track as well) with a 2.5 GPA, and my science GPA was about the same. My problem was doing engineering and pre-med at the same time, which was far too much for me to handle. Since graduating, I've been working full-time in the IT field and enrolled part-time in a graduate program in biotechnology. I'll be graduating with about a 3.4 - 3.5 GPA, but when I called dental schools to ask to talk to the Dean of Admissions, they say to just bring the undergraduate transcript, and not the graduate one. Do dental schools not look at graduate careers or something like that? My point of going to grad school was to boost my grades and to prove that I can succeed in science courses. I'm worried that I may not be considered seriously by any dental schools. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's great that you took the option of taking grad school courses because they may help to increase your chances of getting into dental school. On the other hand, all dental schools will consider your undergrad performance. Since you have made a significant improvement over the years, they may notice you. Do well on your DATs and hope for the best.

Grad school is definitely benefical. The problem is------many schools (dental, med, etc...) don't like to solely use your grad gpa because a lot of grad programs inflate grades. The professional schools like to see how you did in undergrad because it is a way to compare you to the rest of the applicants. Another way to compare you is with the DAT. That is why it is important to score high on the exam 19+/19+ min. Only then can you say I've changed my ways, I know what I want, I've proven I can compete with the other applicants, and I've shown my desire for education by getting a Masters.

Remember-----grades and the DAT are only 2 of many characteristics the admission board will be looking at. Leadership positions, research, unique life experiences, motivation for dentistry, maturity,personal essay, recommendations etc.... So you can't change your undergrad grades but the rest is up to you. Set your heart on it----get passionate about dentistry-----and the little road-blocks won't matter!

Good luck,
R.R.B