newbie (hi!) with a question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by nikappella, Oct 17, 2001.

1. nikappella

nikappella Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi,

i'm new around here. i just wanted to say hi and ask a quick question.
    did anyone here apply to primarily allopathic med schools and just one or two DO schools (i'm not saying as a backup, but for whatever personal reasons)? do the DO schools question your motives for applying, and are they less likely to accept you if they know you're applying to mostly MD schools?

2. pushinepi2

pushinepi2 Bicarb chaser
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Applications.......

Personally, I applied to mostly MD schools. Medical school admission is extremely competitive, and DO school admissions offices understand that some students simply want to maximize their chances at becoming a physician. Its a pity that some see the osteopathic option as a "backup" or an "alternative pathway." Each year, admissions become more selective, and osteopathic physicians become more "mainstream." Good medicine cannot be practiced without the ability to integrate the knowledge obtained from other experts and fields... Osteopathic schools (like Nova, at least) don't view the MD/DO relationship in an adversarial context. The only thing that really distinguishes osteopaths nowadays is the "extra" element of manipulative therapy. As long as you write/speak intelligently about your motives for becoming a physician, acceptance will come regardless of how many MD schools you've applied to. It is well known, however, that DO schools look a little more favorably on students with diverse clinical and lifetime experiences. My experience with the MD application processs was much more centered around bare bones statistics... The University of Florida, for example, must resport to MCAT/GPA scoring to sort through the 10,000 or so applicants. Nova (at least) has the luxury of looking a little more deeply at the initial round of applications...

Good luck,

[email protected]
    Ben
    NSU COM c/o 2005

3. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm applying right now. I applied to 10 allopathic schools and 1 osteopathic school. I have an interview at the osteopathic school and a few of the allopathics. I would attend the DO school over some of the MD schools, and some MD schools over the DO school. I know a lot about osteopathy and want to go into primary care, so I figured what the heck. I hope no one holds this against me, and if they do, they're being ignorant, biased and zealous for judging me. that's my 2 cents.

4. nikappella

nikappella Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

ben,
    you noted that nova doesn't regard the md/do relationship in an adversarial context... are there any schools that more noticeably do? i definitely plan on applying to touro (because it's jewish affiliation works wonders with my religious jewish schedule) and possibly nyit since i'm from new york.

thanks

nik

5. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What is the Jewish connection at Touro???

Shalom!

Mike

6. nikappella

nikappella Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the Jewish connection at Touro???

a lot of people don't know, but touro is jewish sponsored. the main campus of touro is in brooklyn, new york, and they actually teach torah topics there. as for tucom, it's completely secular, but because of its sponsorship, it gives off for every single jewish holiday (so i don't have to take off an extra 10 days a year), doesn't give classes after three on fridays, and i assume has kosher dining.

shalom to you too :)

7. Steev2000

Steev2000 Member
    10+ Year Member

unless things have changed, TUCOM has NO dining! So you don't have to worry about that.

8. nikappella

nikappella Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

um, is there anywhere to eat on mare island?

9. pushinepi2

pushinepi2 Bicarb chaser
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pella,

I can't really speculate about any of the other osteopathic schools. However, strong OMM/OPP departments certainly possess the potential to create an artificial dichotomy between MD/DO practice. I did however, like the idea of no classes after 3:00 pm on Fridays. Kosher dining? Hmmmm....

Ben

10. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I actually got an interview with Touro in Novermber. Im sooo excited!!...but a side of me is somewhat uneasy...being a muslim and all...im sure it doesnt make a difference in a professional field such as medicne, but sometimes you just cant help thinking about it :confused: