Newbie looking for Help on Medschool Admissions Stats

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Both will help out tremendously, along with an intro physio class.

www.aamc.org and order an MSAR

kyu516 said:
hi fellow ladies and gents

i'm currently a froshie at a public state university. I know that I have some time before my time of application trails, but I was wondering..

Anybody have general statistics (i.e. MCAT, GPA, etc.) for people who got into Yale or Columbia this year (entering class of 2009)?

Also, question for people who have already taken the MCAT:

How valuable is taking a genetics and/or biochemistry course in preparation for the test?

Thanks!

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
kyu516 said:
Anybody have general statistics (i.e. MCAT, GPA, etc.) for people who got into Yale or Columbia this year (entering class of 2009)?
check out www.mdapplicants.com

How valuable is taking a genetics and/or biochemistry course in preparation for the test?
Whatever biochem and genetics you need to know, you can learn from a review book or one of the prep classes. I haven't taken genetics or biochem... i still did ok on the MCAT.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
sodom, south georgia
i'm gonna go ahead and descent here. i think that it would be to your advantage to have had genetics before the mcat. when i took it, the test had a TON of genetics. as i remember, they've recently ditch some organic questions in favor of more genetics.

alec689

alec689
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
New York, NY
Status
kyu516 said:

i'm currently a froshie at a public state university. I know that I have some time before my time of application trails, but I was wondering..

Thanks!
I think biochemistry is definitely useful, although if you've had micro and/or cell, they may teach you what you need to know. I didn't have genetics in college, and I did fine on the bio section, so nothing aside from the basic pre-reqs is necessary for the MCAT. It's important to remember that some medical schools either require or strongly recommend biochemistry.

For stats, definitely check out mdapplicants.com. Remember that the averages on mdapplicants tend to be a little higher than the general averages for the schools. For Columbia, Average GPA is around 3.8 and average MCAT is betwee 35 and 36. For Yale, average GPA is around 3.7 and average MCAT is around 34. Those are from MSAR and USNews.

newhavenjake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
Enjoy college and life a little bit. Get some perspective. Don't get started on this nonsense now. Please. You'll be a better doctor. I swear.

MiaFLSurf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
The Illadelph
Status
I just got into Columbia....to answer your questions:

3.94 GPA, 3.97 Science from University of Rochester
35R MCAT

My advise about classes: BioChem helped ALOT, I cant stress how much it helps you in the Bio and even Chem portions of the test. Genetics is nice to know as well, but I think BioChem is def. better.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kyu516 said:
thanks for helping me out!

newhavenjake - i thank you for your concern, but as they say, it's never to early to plan ahead =]

and don't worry, i enjoy college and my life as it is :)

but in the event of my two first questions, i have a third one if any of you in the SDN community don't mind answering..

where do you personally think umichigan (my current university) lies in terms of being well looked upon, as an undergraduate institution of study, by the highest tier medical schools in the country (top 25)?
Should be as good as any other school out there.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
kyu516 said:
thanks for helping me out!

newhavenjake - i thank you for your concern, but as they say, it's never to early to plan ahead =]

and don't worry, i enjoy college and my life as it is :)

but in the event of my two first questions, i have a third one if any of you in the SDN community don't mind answering..

where do you personally think umichigan (my current university) lies in terms of being well looked upon, as an undergraduate institution of study, by the highest tier medical schools in the country (top 25)?
There are ALOT of GREAT medical schools out there that do not rank within US News' system of classifications, but they are still excellent and should not be ignored. Don't get fixated on attending a top 25. It might be nice, but it is certainly not mandatory to your becoming a fabulous physician.

Shaz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
kyu516 said:

Thanks!
Taking genetics and biochem are really helpful for the exam, but you can certainly do without it (as long as you emphasize these two subjects when studying for the exam).

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I'm sorry man, I really am :( :(

kyu516 said:
where do you personally think umichigan (my current university) lies in terms of being well looked upon