PhD/PsyD Newbie looking for insights from Health Psychology PhD students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi all,

Throughout college I had aspired towards a career in medicine; I've completed all medical school prerequisites, majored in molecular biology, and have an ample amount of clinical/patient care and science research experience to be a competitive applicant. But lo and behold, since I graduated in 2014 and spent three years working in hospital settings, I discovered that my passion is really in health psychology; specifically, researching chronic pain + medically unexplained symptoms and helping people suffering from these conditions.

As this amounts to a career change for me, I've only begun to do my research on PhD programs in the field and I would love to hear from current or former students in health psychology PhD programs about the following quality of life questions:

1) How do you/have you liked your program? What about it causes you the most stress?

2) How manageable is your overall life as a clinical health psychology PhD student? How much do you study/work per week and how much sleep can you get, assuming you manage your time well? (Sleep is very important to me, as my body tends to need more than most people, I think.)

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I came around to psychology in a similar way. :) Like a lot of people working in the field, I trained in a clinical psychology program and got some health psych exposure along the way and additional training as an intern and postdoc. Programs that specifically emphasize clinical health psychology have a similar structure as regular clinical programs, but the content is more targeted.

Doing a Ph.D. is basically a full-time job. The workload varies, but if you are efficient with your time you should be able to get a normal amount of sleep most nights, assuming your needs fall into the typical range (7-9 hours).

Reactions: 1 user