PhD/PsyD Newbie to Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XueZhang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am new to psychology. Recently looking at the online PsyD program of California Southern University. Any one familiar with this school?

I am currently working with a visa in the US. So wondering if anyone has obtained a PsyD/PhD in Psychology and currently practice in the US (with H1B). Visa issue is annoying...

Looking forward to any reply!:clap:

Xue

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I am new to psychology. Recently looking at the online PsyD program of California Southern University. Any one familiar with this school?

I am currently working with a visa in the US. So wondering if anyone has obtained a PsyD/PhD in Psychology and currently practice in the US (with H1B). Visa issue is annoying...

Looking forward to any reply!:clap:

Xue
It's an online school, and the psyd program is unaccredited. It would be a waste of money, in my opinion.

What are you hoping to do with a PsyD?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
An online degree is generally not sufficient training to become a clinical psychologist.
In case you didn't know what we do: a clinical psychologist is an expert in the application of psychological research to a clinical population. This includes developing competencies in the following: research, teaching, psychotherapy, psychological assessment, consultation, clinical supervision, self-awareness/care, and legal and ethical issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes I think people have no idea how difficult it is to become a licensed psychologist, including many graduate students.

Reactions: 1 users
That was a great video. I must have been crazy to become a clinical psychologist! Fortunately for me, I didn't know what I was getting into when I decided that I wanted to become a psychologist. I actually decided to pursue it because of a passion for knowledge and I was hoping that I could make a decent living too. Unlike the poor psychologist in the video, I get a small amount of respect from my family, my nieces like to call me Dr. Uncle Chris. Has a nice ring to it. :happy: