Newbie with some questions :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlaqChyna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then, let me first introduce myself and my current situation. I am a 3rd year at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor (GO BLUE!!!) and I am a premed student (Biopsychology major, Gender and Health minor). I'm a bit worried right now because of my performance in my chemistry classes and as of recently, my Animal Physiology class (I have no idea why I did so horribly in this class). I have already taken Gen Chem, Organic Chem I and II (and both labs), Intro Bio Lab, Animal Phys lab and Animal Phys class. I did average in Gen Chem, Orgo I, Orgo I lab, and the Orgo II lab. I got As in the Intro Bio lab, and the Animal Phys lab. But I did awful (Cs) in Orgo II and Animal Phys class. I'm so P'Oed with the Animal Phys because I worked my butt off and still didn't do that well. However, I'm debating whether or not to retake Animal Phys. I'm retaking the Orgo II class (no doubt) but I also have to take Physics II, PChem, and Biochem in the next 2 years. I took Physics I at a Community College during the summer and had the credits transferred. I already know that I'm going to be a 5th year senior but I would like to graduate at the latest, one semester after my intended date. I know that I can't possibly get As in every one of the science prereqs for Med School but I just want good grades in the ones that count, you know? An A in Orgo II the SECOND time around would just be wonderful. This summer, I would like to knock out one of these classes at UM Dearborn's campus (Pchem is being taught by the same Prof who taught Orgo II which had the lowest scores in the history of Orgo II at UM...yea, just my luck right? She was put on probation for a bit and I guess they let her teach a different class?!?) Another Plan would be to take some of those classes at a Post Bac program. I've only received limited info about it and I'm researching it as we speak but I would like to know what you guys have heard about them.

So...I guess my questions to you guys are (1) should I retake Animal Phys? (2) How should I structure my few remaining semesters to do the best in my remaining science courses? *I'm doing awesome in the classes for my major and minor so that's a-ok. (3) What have you guys heard about Post-Bac programs?

Sorry this is such a long post at 4:00am (I finished my last exam and I don't know what to do with myself...lol :laugh:) Any advice you guys could give we be super helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Alrighty then, let me first introduce myself and my current situation. I am a 3rd year at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor (GO BLUE!!!) and I am a premed student (Biopsychology major, Gender and Health minor). I'm a bit worried right now because of my performance in my chemistry classes and as of recently, my Animal Physiology class (I have no idea why I did so horribly in this class). I have already taken Gen Chem, Organic Chem I and II (and both labs), Intro Bio Lab, Animal Phys lab and Animal Phys class. I did average in Gen Chem, Orgo I, Orgo I lab, and the Orgo II lab. I got As in the Intro Bio lab, and the Animal Phys lab. But I did awful (Cs) in Orgo II and Animal Phys class. I'm so P'Oed with the Animal Phys because I worked my butt off and still didn't do that well. However, I'm debating whether or not to retake Animal Phys. I'm retaking the Orgo II class (no doubt) but I also have to take Physics II, PChem, and Biochem in the next 2 years. I took Physics I at a Community College during the summer and had the credits transferred. I already know that I'm going to be a 5th year senior but I would like to graduate at the latest, one semester after my intended date. I know that I can't possibly get As in every one of the science prereqs for Med School but I just want good grades in the ones that count, you know? An A in Orgo II the SECOND time around would just be wonderful. This summer, I would like to knock out one of these classes at UM Dearborn's campus (Pchem is being taught by the same Prof who taught Orgo II which had the lowest scores in the history of Orgo II at UM...yea, just my luck right? She was put on probation for a bit and I guess they let her teach a different class?!?) Another Plan would be to take some of those classes at a Post Bac program. I've only received limited info about it and I'm researching it as we speak but I would like to know what you guys have heard about them.

So...I guess my questions to you guys are (1) should I retake Animal Phys? (2) How should I structure my few remaining semesters to do the best in my remaining science courses? *I'm doing awesome in the classes for my major and minor so that's a-ok. (3) What have you guys heard about Post-Bac programs?

Sorry this is such a long post at 4:00am (I finished my last exam and I don't know what to do with myself...lol :laugh:) Any advice you guys could give we be super helpful!!!

1) retaking a class with a C is basically useless. med schools count both grades not the highest so you retake animal phys and get an A, you still end up with a B when the grade is averaged. If you get a B, you really just wasted your time even more. Im assuming when you say average that means you got a B? If thats the case you havnt really shown you could do well in the pre reqs or other science classes which certianly isnt a good thing. From what im assuming from your post, you have gotten 2As, 4Bs, and 2Cs in the pre reqs so far. Thats not horrible but a 3.0 for the pre reqs isnt going to help you out at the very least.

2) Schedule it however you see fit so that you can hopefully get nothing less then an A or at the very least stop getting Cs. How you scheudle also depends on when you wanted to apply and if you wanted a gap year or not.

3) there are several different kinds of post baccs. There are ones for students who have taken zero science classes and need to fill the pre reqs (doesnt sound like you). Ones for students who have taken the pre reqs and mcat, basically your app is good except GPA (sounds like it could be you). These are typically SMPs or other programs like that. Or you could do a masters in something (not hugely useful). If I was in your situation id just finish my pre reqs and focus on doing well in them. You only have a few of them left. Then depending on how things shake out in two years GPA wise, you might want to focus on a SMP type post bacc if that is something you are looking into to raise your GPA. As a general rule of thumb, you would like you cGPA and sGPA to be 3.5+. There are obvious exceptions to this but i think in general that is a good rule. If your gpa is <3.3 or so, you might want to think about a SMP type post bacc. Also if your GPA is <3.5 im not saying you are screwed and wont ever get in, just that your GPA will be something that may harm you in the process. If you didnt want to go the post bacc route you could always just apply and see what happens. Also w/o an mcat score its hard to say. You may end up with say a 3.4 or something, but if you really dominated the mcat it could at some schools be an equalizer if you were to show an upward trend.

This summer, I would like to knock out one of these classes at UM Dearborn's campus (Pchem is being taught by the same Prof who taught Orgo II which had the lowest scores in the history of Orgo II at UM...yea, just my luck right? She was put on probation for a bit and I guess they let her teach a different class?!?)

1) Retaking animal phys will help if you improve your grade, obviously. However it will only help slightly for AMCAS gpa (MD application) and would help significantly with AACOMAS gpa (DO application).

2) Do you really think it's a good idea to take pchem with a prof basically looking to kill their students?

Why are you even taking pchem, is it required for biopsych? I don't know a lot about UM biopsych other than relatively speaking, since you will be heavy on non-science classes you are going to need to do everything you can to get As in anything science.

If you value your gpa, avoid genetics like the plague at UM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I can't possibly get As in every one of the science prereqs for Med School

First of all, that's not the right attitude you need to have. Make it your goal to destroy every single science class you have to take from here on out.

Retaking orgo and animal phys are probably not going to be worthwhile (unless you want to go to an osteopathic school). Get an A in p-chem, get an A in future bio classes (like biochem). Kill the science sections on the MCAT. I know these goals might not sound realistic right now, but you can't aim for any less.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to avoid taking a class at your home institution because you're afraid of a professor. The fact she was suspended for being too harsh probably means that she is being extra careful now and ensuring that she doesn't make the same mistake again (i.e. she's probably aiming for a higher class average).

Work like you've never worked before during the upcoming semesters, and it will pay off. If you're only putting in 5 hours worth of studying for an exam, triple that.

"Work like you've never worked before during the upcoming semesters, and it will pay off. If you're only putting in 5 hours worth of studying for an exam, triple that."

Thank you very much for your helpful advice. I do study crazy hours for all of my hard classes but I can only do average so I assume it has to do with how I retain info. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong or something like that. I'm working on that by sitting in on office hours, making notecards and quizzing myself until I see this stuff in my dreams...lol

This is my third C on my transcript...Orgo I = C+, Orgo II = C, Bio 225(Animal Phys) = C- so I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that this pattern doesn't continue.