newbie!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

{^_^}

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats up guys,
as the title says, im a newbie. its a good thing i found this webiste becuase it answered alot of my question i had. i have one question that it did not answer however. i wanted to knwo if i have any chance of getting into med school with the stuff ive gone thru at school...
I will be a re-admitting 2nd year student in the winter or spring at the latest 06 at ucr (uc riverside). this fall i will be working towards re-ad. i attended ucsc (uc santa cruz) after high school than i decided to transfer down to ucr so i can be local. my 1st year at ucr did not go well, i was not focused and i goofed around too much. i end up getting dissmissed. i am eligible for re-ad if i take about 3-4 courses and earn atleast a "b." i was admitted in ucr with a neurosci major but since i get dissmissed they wont re-admit me with that major. im going to start volunteering at a local hosiptal with direct patient contact. once i get back in, i will need to work my a*s off to do well. i dont have any EC activities as of yet. i plan on trying out for the basketball team once i get in shape. well, what do you guys think? do i have a shot at getting into any US med sch (prefferably uc)? thank in advance

Members don't see this ad.

{^_^} said:
whats up guys,
as the title says, im a newbie. its a good thing i found this webiste becuase it answered alot of my question i had. i have one question that it did not answer however. i wanted to knwo if i have any chance of getting into med school with the stuff ive gone thru at school...
I will be a re-admitting 2nd year student in the winter or spring at the latest 06 at ucr (uc riverside). this fall i will be working towards re-ad. i attended ucsc (uc santa cruz) after high school than i decided to transfer down to ucr so i can be local. my 1st year at ucr did not go well, i was not focused and i goofed around too much. i end up getting dissmissed. i am eligible for re-ad if i take about 3-4 courses and earn atleast a "b." i was admitted in ucr with a neurosci major but since i get dissmissed they wont re-admit me with that major. im going to start volunteering at a local hosiptal with direct patient contact. once i get back in, i will need to work my a*s off to do well. i dont have any EC activities as of yet. i plan on trying out for the basketball team once i get in shape. well, what do you guys think? do i have a shot at getting into any US med sch (prefferably uc)? thank in advance
Funny :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, you can eventually get into a med school. at this point, you should be worrying about getting into ANY med school, not just a UC, which are difficult enough.
obviously, you are going to have to get As in all science classes and get a competetive MCAT score (33+)
good luck.

{^_^} said:
whats up guys,

First thing's first -- get back into school and do a couple of semesters with full concentration on school. Then, start thinking of ways to volunteer and get into the clinical scene. One step at a time will get you there...all hope is not lost :).

So basically see if you can cut it, then...cut it.

Nice SN btw ^_^ <_< >_> -.- -_- ^_^;; ^^

{^_^} said:
how is that funny?
First of all, I did not want to sound mean at all. I think that is funny because nobody can answer your question ("Do I have a shot at med school). Frankly, it is a silly questions, too general. Of course you have a shot if you work hard from now on. You can be whatever you want to be, can't you? You have not even finished a four year degree and you have not taken the MCAT and you are talking about your competitivness. Even with those two, nobody can tell you if you will be accepted or not. Next time ask more specific questions. Many people around here can offer you a good piece of advise.

Turkeyman said:
First thing's first -- get back into school and do a couple of semesters with full concentration on school. Then, start thinking of ways to volunteer and get into the clinical scene. One step at a time will get you there...all hope is not lost :).

So basically see if you can cut it, then...cut it.

Nice SN btw ^_^ <_< >_> -.- -_- ^_^;; ^^

and lets not forget ~_^
and ^_^X for u RK fans