Newbiee needs help! What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR DRE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres a lil background:
I took the MCAT at the end of my sophomore year in August 2004 and scored a 33 Q (12B, 12P, 9V). I didn’t take the MCAT again in April 2005, because I was too involved in other activates (research, volunteering, tutoring…) I am hoping to take the MCAT again in August 2005 (at the end of my junior year), lets assume I will be able to score a 35+ (hopefully).

Okay so I was thinking of submitting my AMCAS in June and sending out my MCAT score of 33Q to all of the schools to get the ball rolling. And then when the new scores of the August 2005 MCAT are released, I was planning on just updating the schools with my new score.

Here’s my question: If I apply in June and don’t update the schools with my new scores until October, that’s 5 months in which schools can already reject me. Will too many schools have already made their decision regarding my admission status before I can send them my new MCAT score? Will the top 20 schools already have declined me a secondary (because a 33Q is not such a stellar score)? Any suggestions/advice?

What should I do? Is it even worth taking the MCATs again if I am planning to appy early in June?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) A 33-Q is a very good score to start with. Why risk getting a bad score by retaking it? Why invest a lot of work into retaking it when you could do so many other things to improve your application like volunteering, taking a class, doing research, etc.?

2) I think that AMCAS only asks if you intend to take the test in August. If the answer is yes, you must answer yes on the application. If you answer yes on the application, your file is held for more consideration, and you hurt your chances for admission.

Unless you have a really low GPA, I would apply with your 33-Q.

trinitrotoluene said:
1) A 33-Q is a very good score to start with. Why risk getting a bad score by retaking it? Why invest a lot of work into retaking it when you could do so many other things to improve your application like volunteering, taking a class, doing research, etc.?

2) I think that AMCAS only asks if you intend to take the test in August. If the answer is yes, you must answer yes on the application. If you answer yes on the application, your file is held for more consideration, and you hurt your chances for admission.

Unless you have a really low GPA, I would apply with your 33-Q.
Listen to the the Toluene......u can't go wrong with the 33......apply to some safe schools and u should be set.

Members don't see this ad :)
33q is solid. don't make people mad. start thinking about answering the questions about why you retook it i guess if you do decide to retake. or you could enjoy your summer... come on!

I would apply as is. Lets say if you get waitlisted later in the process, you can update schools with your new MCAT score (assuming its better).

dr.z said:
I would apply as is. Lets say if you get waitlisted later in the process, you can update schools with your new MCAT score (assuming its better).

The only thing I am scared of is getting rejected PRE-secondary from the "top 20 schools" before I even have a chance to update them with my new MCAT. If I apply in June, and dont update till October, dont you think I will get alot of rejections in that gap?

Oh and my GPA is 3.77, if that helps...

Thanks!!

you don't need to retake it. the top 20 schools accept people with 33's! it's a very solid score, and i wouldn't retake it if i were you. you should just spend time on your essays, EC's and secondaries. essays are very important to some schools, and i wouldn't waste my time studying for the MCAT again, instead of working on the applications. i say apply to whatever schools you want but be sure to apply to some that aren't in the top 20 just for safety.

You could apply to a bunch of schools in June, and then in October, when you get your MCAT scores, you could add a bunch of "top-20" schools if you did really well.

I agree with everyone else though, you shouldn't retake it. Also, you're not supposed to do this, but you might want to answer "no" to the AMCAS question that asks if you're planning on taking the August mcat. That way, you'll be able to get some early interviews at some schools, which is highly advantageous.

DR DRE said:
The only thing I am scared of is getting rejected PRE-secondary from the "top 20 schools" before I even have a chance to update them with my new MCAT. If I apply in June, and dont update till October, dont you think I will get alot of rejections in that gap?

Thanks!!

That seals it. You should...

1) If you have little volunteerism, get into a research lab. Work there this summer and next academic year, and, if you do well, make a presentation or write a paper.

OR

2) Volunteer. 40 per week for 16 weeks over the summer. Medical schools love to see people with 2000+ hours of volunteerism.

GPA and MCAT scores are only part of the game. Play the whole game.

aight Dr. Dre.... throw it up throw it up... I can't hear ya...

DR DRE said:

Thanks!!

for crying out loud, a 3.5 (engineering) and a 32M (yes M) got me secondaries at harvard, hopkins, stanford, michigan, duke, unc, vandy, ucsd....everywhere I applied other than davis.

they make money off their secondaries. they WANT to give out secondaries. take the time to do something you are passionate about, something that will make you stand out.

i took it over to clean up a low physics score and that lousy writing score but i got secondaries before the scores were released

scrappysurfer said:
for crying out loud, a 3.5 (engineering) and a 32M (yes M) got me secondaries at harvard, hopkins, stanford, michigan, duke, unc, vandy, ucsd....everywhere I applied other than davis.

they make money off their secondaries. they WANT to give out secondaries. take the time to do something you are passionate about, something that will make you stand out.

i took it over to clean up a low physics score and that lousy writing score but i got secondaries before the scores were released

So you were able to successfully update the schools with your new MCAT scores?...nice...when did you end up getting interviews from these schools? (just trying to figure out how the med school app timeline is like)

Thanks!

virilep said:
aight Dr. Dre.... throw it up throw it up... I can't hear ya...

WHAT WHAT..."THINGS JUS AINT THE SAME FO GANSTAS" :cool:

LOL

Definitely apply in June. In my experience, applying early can be the single greatest advantage in this process. I was in your shoes last year, slightly different scores, but overall similar situation. Schools (even top ones) won't reject you before your August scores are available...admissions committees just don't move that fast! And your scores are very good. Here's the only disadvantage I encountered: Since schools know you'll be retaking the MCAT, several of mine told me that even though they had received all of my stuff, my application was on hold, and essentially incomplete, until the second scores came. So in essence, at these schools, it was as if I didn't apply until mid-October. This may or may not have hurt me at some schools. In the end, though, I had several interviews (many at "top" schools) and multiple acceptances, so it all worked out.

Although retaking the MCAT is a pain, I think it might be a good decision. Here's why (this info is from a pre-med advisor, so is only as valid as her knowledge ;) ): She told me that there are some schools out there who do indeed have MCAT cut-offs. Of these, it is not common to have overall score cutoffs, but rather to have subscale cutoffs. That is, they usually won't say, "we won't accept a score below a 30", but would say, "we won't accept a subscale below an 8". She said of the schools that do that, most cut-offs are 8-9, but some of the more competetive schools use 10 as their magic number. From your GPA and your science subscales, you are obviously very bright, so I would hate for your verbal score to hinder the success you deserve.

Just my long-winded two cents. Good luck :luck:

Just for the sake of completeness, I'll play devil's advocate to Tigger27. The verbal score is one of the tougher scores to improve. You may have to revamp the way you read the passages and change your methodology completely. The other thing you may have to do is do as much reading as humanly possible in the areas you are weak in. Plus, your PS and BS scores are so high that it may be tough to reproduce as you go further away from your required premed courses. The big thing, of course, is to at minimum improve upon your old score. An increase in your PS score is probably easier than BS by virtue of the fact that BS has a tighter curve. Other than that, all I can say is consider this decision carefully.

I didn't even read the rest of the OP's post, because if you are even contemplating retaking with a 33Q, you are not in your right mind. Be smart. Very few schools screen pre-secondary. With your numbers, you will get a secondary everywhere.

i see we have an imposter :eek: ...LVDoc...BAN THEM NOW! :smuggrin:

DR DRE said:
Will the top 20 schools already have declined me a secondary (because a 33Q is not such a stellar score)?

In related news; I'm a thick 8 1/2 inches. Would I have difficulty getting a girlfriend, or should I take enlargement pills, and/or hang weights from my member to get a little bit more?

Dude, just kick the he11 outta your board exams. The MCAT means nothing in the long run, and you're still going to get into a sweet school.

NS

trinitrotoluene said:
2) Volunteer. 40 per week for 16 weeks over the summer. Medical schools love to see people with 2000+ hours of volunteerism.
2000 hours? That's easily ~$16K if you were working instead. I dunno about you guys, but I need the money hardcore. How about 2000 hours of clinical experience? :D

LoveDoc said:
i see we have an imposter :eek: ...LVDoc...BAN THEM NOW! :smuggrin:

lol..too funny. It wasn't LoveDoc though. I meant Las Vegas Doc. :)

Thanks for everyones input and advice, I really appreciate it.