Newer drugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBandJ

hot dog back in action!
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen some people here mention that they saw drugs on their Step 1 exam that they hadn't heard of before (i.e. things that were not in First Aid or other review books). I know first aid is not always the most up to date. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to find a consolidated list of some of the newer drugs?

Members don't see this ad.

Talking about the content of the USMLE examination with examinees who have already taken the exam is against their code of conduct. Your exam, and the person who spoke of their MC questions could have their scores pulled and get kicked out of medical school. Best not to post it in full view of everyone.

That way we can maintain the illusion you arent cheating.

To answer your question, there is a list of drugs you can know. A condensed version is found inside Katzung (please see page 1-475). A more expansive list is found at pubmed.org

Chances are, if someone gets a question that isn't explained in a major textbook, its an experimental. Know the drugs in first aid. if you want to go outside the box, expand a little into BRS or Rapid Review.

Unfortunately, the USMLE does not publish a list saying "know these drugs, we will test you on these."

If you see a drug you dont know, oh well, you get one wrong. If you havent heard of it, and you can find it afterwards, dont worry about it, its likely an experimental

ok, to clarify, i wasn't looking for someone to scribble down the drugs that were on their exam. no shady intentions here.

i was asking about a resource for PUBLIC information about new drugs (like how NEJM publishes articles about new therapies). anwyay, nevermind the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess: newer drugs or experimental drugs most likely follows the naming pattern of the older drugs- if they have a newer version of captopril...then most likely the name ends with -pril.
otherwise, we are all screwed when it comes to newer drugs/experimental drugs on the test.

My guess: newer drugs or experimental drugs most likely follows the naming pattern of the older drugs- if they have a newer version of captopril...then most likely the name ends with -pril.
otherwise, we are all screwed when it comes to newer drugs/experimental drugs on the test.
yep, that's what i'm hoping. i think the drug name ending page (p 237) in FA will have to be my prep for those questions, and we'll just deal with it. i don't think the NBME is out to make this test impossible (but then again, you never know).

I've been jotting down all the random new drugs that come up on UWorld...they put in a couple interesting ones, sometimes the name isn't in the question and it's just a description but when you read the explanation they usually say that it's a real drug and give the name.

Other than that I can barely get my head around old drugs so I'm just gonna try to remember those hahaha.

i only had 1 q testing a drug i had never seen before. i eliminated 3/5 and guessed the right answer anyway. don't waste your time.

if you know all the drugs in FA you can get the 'new' drug questions right by elimination.