Newly Interested in Osteopathic Gen. Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at the end of my 3rd year and have recently decided to apply to osteopathic gen surgery programs this Fall. I do not have alot on my record relating to surgery other than my 3rd year clerkship. The majority of my ECs have been geared toward OB.

I have managed to line up one sub-I rotation at a pretty good program, but it is late in the interview season so little hope of getting a LOR out of it that will make a difference.

My Comlex I was average, the LORs that I do have are very good and my clerkship evals have been excellent.

So do people match surgery without a lot of surgery related ECs and LORs? Do you have to have been passionate about surgery since MS I, or can you succeed even though you are arriving to the party late?

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs require at least two LOR from surgeons. Surgery ECs didn't seem to be that important. But the very most important thing you can do is showcase at a hospital you are applying to. Scores are important to get your foot in the door at places you didn't rotate at but some hospitals won't even look at your application if you haven't been there before. If I were you I'd try and weasel into some more sub-I's. At the very least, use a free weekend to spend some time at a hospital. Some programs will let you work with them like that if you're interested but couldn't manage to secure a sub-I.

I agree with the above poster. Call as many programs as you can and try to set up more rotations. With only one month of elective rotations many programs won't think you are a serious applicant and it will be tough to get interviews especially if your one rotation is late in the interview season. You need to know probably close to 90 percent of people who match into D.O. spots do so at places they rotate at so settting up more rotations is a must. Average board scores are fine for matching as long as you do well on your aways. If you don't have any surgery LORs I would try and contact an attending whom you did your surgery rotation with and explain your situation and see if they will write a letter for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are so set on only osteo positions?