Status
Not open for further replies.

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
From the American Dental Association:

The average net income of general practitioners rose to $174,350 in 2002 according to a report published by the Survey Center. “Income from the Private Practice of Dentistry,” the first report to be published from the 2003 Survey of Dental Practice, also reports an average net income for all specialists of $291,250 in 2002. In addition to net income figures, the report also includes data on gross billings and total expenses. The report (catalog number 5I03) can be ordered from the Survey Center (2568, [email protected]) for $75 for ADA members, $112.50 for nonmembers and $225 for commercial firms.

:)
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I go back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.
 

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
401
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gumgardener2009 said:
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.
The only creapy thing here is that you spent such a large amount of time researching the poor guy's life and comments....

Thats a little hypocritical.

No offense intended :D
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
gumgardener2009 said:
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.
No kidding, man! God forbid we actually have any practicing dentists on the forums! We might accidentally learn something!
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
carn311 said:
The only creapy thing here is that you spent such a large amount of time researching the poor guy's life and comments....

Thats a little hypocritical.

No offense intended :D
Hypocrisy: (hi-pok-ri-see) n. the simulation of virtue or goodness, insincerity.

I don't see why what I wrote seems insincere to you. I'm sincerely creeped out by someone 25 years out of dental school coming to studentdoctor.net when there are more appropriate forums for him to troll. Maybe you meant to call me self-righteous.
By the way, it didn't take much time at all to look this stuff up. Plus FOF obviously wants us to go to his blog since a link to it is available with his signature.
 
OP
F

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
gumgardener2009 said:
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.
Well, I guess I am young at heart and have taught off and on at USC during the past few years.

Frankly, I enjoy the discourse with those that are in school or are residents.

I participate at the IDF (Internet Dental forum - for dentists only), Dental Town, Usenet Group Sci.Med.Dent and DentalCom.Net. As you can see I am quite well written... and I do enjoy it. It is a hobby.

With regards to my nickname. I invented it to play Counter-Strike and have used it ever since. If you do a google search you will find me on Counter-strike Half-Life forums too.

Sooo you ask how do you get the time?

After 24 years, I retired two years ago from my private practice and sold it. I have been working/drilling intermittently since. The past two weeks I have been off but embark on a four month sojourn up in Santa Maria next week. I will take a laptop! LOL......
 

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
401
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gumgardener2009 said:
Hypocrisy: (hi-pok-ri-see) n. the simulation of virtue or goodness, insincerity.

I don't see why what I wrote seems insincere to you. I'm sincerely creeped out by someone 25 years out of dental school coming to studentdoctor.net when there are more appropriate forums for him to troll. Maybe you meant to call me self-righteous.
By the way, it didn't take much time at all to look this stuff up. Plus FOF obviously wants us to go to his blog since a link to it is available with his signature.
Hypocrite:
n. a person who pretends to be what she or he is not; who pretends to be better than she or he is, or to be pious, virtuous, etc. without really being so. -- Webster

You are not the only one who owns a dictionary...
 

SPBest

Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
78
0
Ft. Lauderdale
Status
gumgardener2009 said:
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.
Too old to be trolling a STUDENT forum??? Pull your head out of your a$$ and realize that more often than not you learn from someone older and more experienced than you. On more that one occasion this experienced Dr. (Fullosseousflap) has helped me find answers to questions I've had relating to dentistry and heaven forbid practicing in the real world.

The day YOU stop being a student is the day you are no longer fit to practice! I plan to be a student in perpetuity.

Besides, what kind if loser bags on a guy because of his username?

PS Thank you Fullosseousflap!
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
carn311 said:
Hypocrite:
n. a person who pretends to be what she or he is not; who pretends to be better than she or he is, or to be pious, virtuous, etc. without really being so. -- Webster

You are not the only one who owns a dictionary...
I'm glad you have a dictionary, but you still don't comprehend the English language. I'm not pretending to be a student doctor (I am one), nor am I pretending to be pious, virtuous, etc. Look for a better word.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
Fullosseousflap said:
Well, I guess I am young at heart and have taught off and on at USC during the past few years.

Frankly, I enjoy the discourse with those that are in school or are residents.

I participate at the IDF (Internet Dental forum - for dentists only), Dental Town, Usenet Group Sci.Med.Dent and DentalCom.Net. As you can see I am quite well written... and I do enjoy it. It is a hobby.

With regards to my nickname. I invented it to play Counter-Strike and have used it ever since. If you do a google search you will find me on Counter-strike Half-Life forums too.

Sooo you ask how do you get the time?

After 24 years, I retired two years ago from my private practice and sold it. I have been working/drilling intermittently since. The past two weeks I have been off but embark on a four month sojourn up in Santa Maria next week. I will take a laptop! LOL......
Good answer
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
SPBest said:
Too old to be trolling a STUDENT forum??? Pull your head out of your a$$ and realize that more often than not you learn from someone older and more experienced than you. On more that one occasion this experienced Dr. (Fullosseousflap) has helped me find answers to questions I've had relating to dentistry and heaven forbid practicing in the real world.

The day YOU stop being a student is the day you are no longer fit to practice! I plan to be a student in perpetuity.

Besides, what kind if loser bags on a guy because of his username?

PS Thank you Fullosseousflap!
My! Aren't we thin-skinned! This is an example of self-righteousness. I never said to stop studying and learning the profession of dentistry. Did I not mention going to dentaltown.com? It's a great forum for interacting with dentists, asking/offering opinions on tx plans and learning new techniques. Nor would I ever bag anyone for how old they are. I'm considered an older STUDENT doctor. Age is not the point. If someone decides to go to dental school as a septuagenarian, they would still be considered a student doctor. On the other hand, even when Doogie Howser is out of medical school for 25 and is only 41 years old, he is out of touch with being a student doctor
In regards to his username, proper use of dental terminology is important so that everyone understands one another. Every month while flipping through the magazines, I can find one dentist chiding another for misusing terminology. For example calling a retainer an abutment.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
By the way, I had considered sending Flap a private message instead, but I didn't want to miss out on the chance to tick all you D1's and D2's off. You fell into my trap. Excellent! :cool:
 

Jediwendell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
577
15
Status
Man, I would have loved to have something like this when I was a student. It may have existed then, but I didn't know about it. I gradumanated from dental school in 2001. Am I too old? It is good to get an honest perspective from someone that has been practicing dentistry for a while.
 

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
775
3
Status
Dentist
gumgardener2009 said:
By the way, I had considered sending Flap a private message instead, but I didn't want to miss out on the chance to tick all you D1's and D2's off. You fell into my trap. Excellent! :cool:
umm... yeah... that was your plan all along. All you have to do is say you're sorry and nobody will ever remember it.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
12YearOldKid said:
umm... yeah... that was your plan all along. All you have to do is say you're sorry and nobody will ever remember it.
Yeah, actually I did consider it. We haven't had an interesting discourse on this site since the OMS residents would regularly flame perio. If Flap asks for an apology he can have it, but he seems less concerned about this than you do.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
Jediwendell said:
Man, I would have loved to have something like this when I was a student. It may have existed then, but I didn't know about it. I gradumanated from dental school in 2001. Am I too old? It is good to get an honest perspective from someone that has been practicing dentistry for a while.
Yes, this is a good resource for student dentists, but look at what topics are mostly covered: getting in to dental school, which dental school should I attend, what should I do to get good grades, how do I pay for dental school, what do dentists make, which specialty is the best and how do I get into a specialty. These are the neurotic worries of a student doctor. Very few threads relate to the practice of dentistry. Why is this? Is it because the student doctors aren't interested in real-world dentistry? Doubt it. It's probably because we're too busy learning what the schools are teaching us or because we have other avenues to get this information.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Let's keep it cool, guys. I'm glad to have some practicing and experienced clinicians here to give us a fresh (and real!) viewpoint.
 

airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
323
0
Status
gumgardener2009 said:
Yes, this is a good resource for student dentists, but look at what topics are mostly covered: getting in to dental school, which dental school should I attend, what should I do to get good grades, how do I pay for dental school, what do dentists make, which specialty is the best and how do I get into a specialty. These are the neurotic worries of a student doctor. Very few threads relate to the practice of dentistry. Why is this? Is it because the student doctors aren't interested in real-world dentistry? Doubt it. It's probably because we're too busy learning what the schools are teaching us or because we have other avenues to get this information.

I never read it as "Student doctor". I always read it as student/Doctor network were students and Doctors intermingle. And I would think that anyone involved in the industry would be welcome to discuss topics whether they be students, professors, practicing doctors(of any age).

I agree that some of the threads are a little repetitve, unfortunately your contribution hasn't been all that interesting either.
 

DrJeff

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2000
2,840
385
Brooklyn, ct
Status
Dentist
In the big scheme of things, you're always going to be a "student" during your dental career. After all that's why we practice dentistry, because were always learning and attempting to perfect new things.

The biggest mistake in dentistry you can probabaly make is to actually think that you know everything possible and give up being a student of dentistry!
 

OneCoolDad

I'm Not A User
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
2
0
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Status
Dental Student
gumgardener2009 said:
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I go back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.

Gee whiz gumgardener2009, what's your problem? This guy's quite helpful and if you think his age disqualifies him somehow from participating on this site then maybe you should check out the site's homepage...there's a column of links intended for graduated, practicing dentists. Even if that was not the case, why would you make a big deal out of it? Who do you think you are? I'm gonna get all of my friends online at the same time and while we're replying to your post, we'll all stand by our respective toilets and imagine we're taking a leak on your head. :smuggrin: LOL Really, as unprofessional as this reply is, yours is right there too. Wow. :thumbdown:
 

QCkid

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
220
0
Status
gumgardener2009 said:
Yes, this is a good resource for student dentists, but look at what topics are mostly covered: getting in to dental school, which dental school should I attend, what should I do to get good grades, how do I pay for dental school, what do dentists make, which specialty is the best and how do I get into a specialty. These are the neurotic worries of a student doctor. Very few threads relate to the practice of dentistry. Why is this? Is it because the student doctors aren't interested in real-world dentistry? Doubt it. It's probably because we're too busy learning what the schools are teaching us or because we have other avenues to get this information.

Hey, I'm just a first year over here at good ol USC but one of the main reasons I get on here is to hear what the actual practicing doctors have to say. Now, if you don't care to hear about worthwile things that can help you to be a better dentist then maybe you should go back to the predent forum since, according to your name ([email protected]#$2009), you haven't even started dental school yet.
 

TucsonDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
598
1
Status
Hey Full,

I for one am glad that you are here. It is nice to actually have a practiceing dentist put real life experience into perspective. Since you are the one that started this thread I will ask you the question. When you were in practice did you find that your total earnings for the year fell pretty much in line with what the ADA published?? Everybody is always spitting out numbers from this site or that site but nobody has seemed to get a real answer as to whose numbers are right. Please don't give your exact numbers if you don't want to but if you could just say if the ADA is acurate or not I would appreciate it.

Thanks
 

airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
323
0
Status
I think one thing to remember is that those dentists making the high incomes are working hard for that money. They don't graduate and go to work for someone and collect a paycheck like traditional jobs. Their income is proportional to their production. So I would say that $170,000 avg income is the earning potential and is not guaranteed in the least. It also depends on your aptitude for running a business. 170000 sounds great on paper, but achieving it is something else once you are out of school.
 

simpledoc

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
179
0
Status
alrite..now coming back to the main topic of how much income does a dentist make...can anyone, (who has actually purchased the details from the ADA), kindly post the actual numbers and by specialty-wise? I assume those would be the latest figures..
i think may be full osseous flap would have a copy from the ADA?
 

eric275

Prosthodontist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
623
6
USA
Status
Dentist
gumgardener2009 said:
FOF,
Your username has been bugging me. With all the lectures I've had on laying a flap, I've never heard of a full osseous flap. So I go back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a full-thickness flap or a full mucoperiosteal flap? I'd appreciate your response.
Then I go to your blog and see your picture. Aren't you a little old to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a practicing dentist's opinion, but it just seems a little creepy. Can't you get your dental jones filled at dentaltown.com?

No offense intended.
Your username has been bugging me. With all of the lectures I've had on gardening and dentistry, I've never heard of a "gumgardener". So I go back to my texts, don't find any reference of it. I do a Pubmed search, ditto. Nor do I find it on perio.org. Do you mean a dentist? I'd appreciate your response.
Aren't you a little immature to be trolling a STUDENT doctor forum? I always appreciate a wanna-be-dentist's opinion, but this just seems a silly. Can't you get your dental jones filled at ihavenolife.com

Do us all a favor and get a hobby. :laugh: Or atleast try and contribute something positive to the forum instead of picking at people who do.

No offense intended
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
aphistis said:
No kidding, man! God forbid we actually have any practicing dentists on the forums! We might accidentally learn something!


prob be the best way for indiana students to learn !!!



hahahahaha

just kiddin.

not really
hahahah
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
vertical bite said:
prob be the best way for indiana students to learn !!!



hahahahaha

just kiddin.

not really
hahahah
Gee, how zippy. You and gumgardener ought to get together for lunch sometime. I bet you'd get along splendidly.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
brentgoldthorpe said:
Gee whiz gumgardener2009, what's your problem? This guy's quite helpful and if you think his age disqualifies him somehow from participating on this site then maybe you should check out the site's homepage...there's a column of links intended for graduated, practicing dentists. Even if that was not the case, why would you make a big deal out of it? Who do you think you are? I'm gonna get all of my friends online at the same time and while we're replying to your post, we'll all stand by our respective toilets and imagine we're taking a leak on your head. :smuggrin: LOL Really, as unprofessional as this reply is, yours is right there too. Wow. :thumbdown:
Why are you getting your panties all bunched up? Going back and reading my first post, I don't see that I made this personal, nor did Flap seem to, judging by the tone of his reply. Why do you have to go and make it personal? I ask the guy what his motives are and he tells me, period. If I had called the guy a pedophile I could understand the degree of your reaction, but I didn't.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
QCkid said:
Hey, I'm just a first year over here at good ol USC but one of the main reasons I get on here is to hear what the actual practicing doctors have to say. Now, if you don't care to hear about worthwile things that can help you to be a better dentist then maybe you should go back to the predent forum since, according to your name ([email protected]#$2009), you haven't even started dental school yet.
A simple math lesson. Gumgardener=periodontist. It's a three year program. 2009-3=2006 (my year of graduation). I'm well into dental school. And if the level of information you're getting here from the dentists is informative, then maybe you should go back to predent.
 

QCkid

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
220
0
Status
gumgardener2009 said:
A simple math lesson. Gumgardener=periodontist. It's a three year program. 2009-3=2006 (my year of graduation). I'm well into dental school. And if the level of information you're getting here from the dentists is informative, then maybe you should go back to predent.
Wow, an english lesson (Gumgardener=periodontist) and a math lesson. But why do you come to this forum? You are obviously looking for something from it. But would could it be since the only post you come up with are weird(as in uncomfortably weird), lack tact, or simply imply that you are so much above the other dentists in this forum that they have nothing worth offering to you. Either way, your too smart for us and are hence waisting your own time, or you're dropping pointless post and waisting ours.
 

gumgardener2009

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
126
0
Status
QCkid said:
Wow, an english lesson (Gumgardener=periodontist) and a math lesson. But why do you come to this forum? You are obviously looking for something from it. But would could it be since the only post you come up with are weird(as in uncomfortably weird), lack tact, or simply imply that you are so much above the other dentists in this forum that they have nothing worth offering to you. Either way, your too smart for us and are hence waisting your own time, or you're dropping pointless post and waisting ours.
There's no way I could be smarter than you. I could never create a new word like "waisting". I thought a waist was something you put a belt around.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Alas, we've reached the point of mild ******ation. Thanks to all those who drug us on that journey and ruined a perfectly good topic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.