• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Newman Projections..

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
    I can't figure out how to go from Newman project to line-bond form when it's not asking for the most stable conformation. If they show me 3-methylhexane and say, "Show this in Newman projection, in its most stable form"...I can do that.

But when they give you a newman projection (for ex: 2-bromo-2-hydroxylbutan-1-ol) I can't figure out how to find the enantiomer of that (in 3-d form) because I can't figure out how to find the line-bond form of it! Can anyone coach me on how to go from Newman to line bond? I can't find anything difficult in my books..it's all the really easy stuff. :confused:

Ill try to make u a tutorial tonight. I'm studying for mondays exams, as you might know lol 730AM!!!!!

TheGreenWave

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jun 5, 2008
    Houston
    1. Dentist
      By "line-bond" do you mean a Fischer projection?? Either way, its fundamental to be comfortable with the shape of a tetrahedral molecule. Also, you must know that any horizontal line in Fischer is a bond thats coming out of the face of the page while a vertical line is a bond that is going down in to the page.

If you're not talking about converting from Newman --> Fischer, let me know, Ill try to help you out. :thumbup:

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.