News from Kirksville or UOMHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My supplementals were returned sometime in January to both Kirksville and UOMHS [Iowa]. As of yet, I've no word from either...Actually, Kirksville called me to ask if I planned to complete my supplementary app to their school, which I had mailed only 2 days prior. The fact they called was very encouraging! If anyone could give me some of the insiders scoop on the school and town of Kirksville, it would be much appreciated!

As for Iowa, having a hard time getting someone to answer the phone. I'm certain they are swamped!! But, I would certainly like some news...Last I spoke to them, 20 Jan, they said they had many interview and class slots available. So, there is hope!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad.

Old Man Dave, check out the KCOM-SGA page for answers to your questions. The KCOM page is also excellent. Take care.

Thanks Jon...I'll do so. I have KCOM's site bookmarked, but was unaware that this sort of info could be found there. I will go search a little more thoroughly next time.

Sincerely,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad :)
My impression of the town is that if you like a slower pace of life...this is the place. I can't think of a better place to be if you have a family, or if you just want to relax in a stress-free environment once you're done studying etc... Overall, I give it a 10 for family atmosphere. I give it a 2 if it's excitement that you are looking for. Kansas City is not far though. Someone posted a note earlier that it took 5 hrs. to drive to KC, but that is far from the truth. He must have taken the dirt roads. 3 hrs. is all it takes. St. Louis is not far either. You can do all the sinin' you want in either of these towns.

Well, I'll tell you...I have lived in the D/FW metro for the past 5+ years and in Little Rock for the 28 years prior to that...and I MUCH PREFER something smaller than this conglomeration they call Dallas. It is WAY too big!! It was a blast to play here when I was 'young and single.' But, it's amazing how your perspective changes after a few years of living and marraige. We both badly want something smaller; however, we are unsure if something as small as Kirksville is the ticket. I guess, we'll make that call when and if I am accepted to KCOM.

Thanks again,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Dave,
I have visited Kirksville and went to undergrad in Iowa so I have a little perspective on both places. Des Moines is a nice size city. It definitely is a Midwestern city with very frienfly people, low cost of living and other such things. I am going to UOMHS this fall and am super excited about getting back to Iowa (I am living in Denver right now). Although Kirksville also seemed like a nice place when I was there, I would encourage you to hold out for an interview in Des Moines. If nothing else, I think your wife will be able to find many more opportunities in Des Moines compared to Kirksville. I have spent a fair amount of time in both Dallas and Little Rock. You are right, Dallas is crazy! I can totally relate to you wanting to get away from that kind of city. Hope this adds to your information gathering. If you have more specific questions, I'll be glad to offer my perspective, send me an e-mail.

[This message has been edited by Mattie (edited 03-02-99).]