Next anatomy test coming up....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yay the third anatomy test is coming up in like....3 days....this time with the upper and lower limb muscles, blood and nerve supply (along with cross sections of the limbs :mad:)....does anyone know any good sites that have the cross sections of the limbs drawn out clearly...? thanks....i really hope i do well on this one.....but the origins and insertions can be damn confusing....

Members don't see this ad.

Theres a sticky at the top that one of the fellow mods created called "Good websites for the basic sciences", they have a great collection of learning resources there. That aside, I suggest purchasing ADAM software for students- amazing tool.

yay the third anatomy test is coming up in like....3 days....this time with the upper and lower limb muscles, blood and nerve supply (along with cross sections of the limbs :mad:)....does anyone know any good sites that have the cross sections of the limbs drawn out clearly...? thanks....i really hope i do well on this one.....but the origins and insertions can be damn confusing....

Sounds intense. There are a helluvalot of muscles in both upper and lower limbs, and you are tested on them together?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mastering UL and LL is much easier once you realize that each is divided into compartments, and each compartment is (essentially) innervated by one nerve and receives one blood supply. For example, the anterior compartment of the leg is innervated by the deep fibular nerve, supplied by the anterior tibial artery and works to mainly dorsiflex the foot. Take a few minutes to figure out the trends (and note the exceptions). Once you get the big picture, cross-sections will be easier, and then you can start to work on details.

yup both of them together...along with the nerve and blood supply...the worst part is that we should be able to draw cross-sectionns of different regions of the limbs....and we have 3 parts of the test: slide test (30 slides where 25 is the pass); drawing/labelling part; oral part.....yeah it's horribly intense indeed....mainly because i just had a histo. test today and a latin/greek medical terminology test yesterday (which was so damn hard!!!)

thanks a lot for the advice spygal....i'm gonna do that right now....actually i think that's probably the most effective method of remembering such voluminous stuff.....thanks again...

Mastering UL and LL is much easier once you realize that each is divided into compartments, and each compartment is (essentially) innervated by one nerve and receives one blood supply. For example, the anterior compartment of the leg is innervated by the deep fibular nerve, supplied by the anterior tibial artery and works to mainly dorsiflex the foot. Take a few minutes to figure out the trends (and note the exceptions). Once you get the big picture, cross-sections will be easier, and then you can start to work on details.

Also on that note memorize that damn brachial plexus. It takes 10 minutes to do (seriously, it takes only 10 minutes to do if you know how to draw it quickly), and once you do so, you should be able to take on any problems and injuries relating to the upper limb (eg saturday night palsy, clawhand, etc.)

hey there SLIDE,

i did learn how to draw the brachial plexus, but do you exactly apply it to the nerves and stuff.....??? thanks...

hey there SLIDE,

i did learn how to draw the brachial plexus, but do you exactly apply it to the nerves and stuff.....??? thanks...

I'm not sure of the format for your oral/written tests, but if they're anything like what several schools do (basically, written somewhat similar to USMLE format), it'll be set up so that there's a clinical setting for the problem, and you'll be asked to identify the root of the problem in the nerves. For instance, say a security guard gets shot somewhere in his upper limb. He has cutaneous innervation on his shoulder, but he can't flex his arm. You may be asked where he got shot, or specifically what area of the brachial plexus got injured, or to predict other symptoms of the injury. Another typical problem would be if the person had Klumpke paralysis, a lesion at the C8-T1 root. You may be asked to describe a symptom of the injury or figure out what actions would be impaired by this injury.

oh unfortunately in europe, they don't have anything in the USMLE or the PBL format....

hey thanks a lot for the link....it's awesome!!!

no problem. Rock your test! good luck.

Sounds intense. There are a helluvalot of muscles in both upper and lower limbs, and you are tested on them together?

We got tested on upper limbs, lower limbs, back, chest muscles, and pelvis (along with all arteries and nerves in all of these areas) as well as all bumps and ridges on bones, and an introductory to the nervous system...all on the first test, all in 2 weeks time. And they wonder why 30 people fail the first test every year? I still can't figure out how I got a High Pass on that test. I went in just praying I wouldn't fail.

And now we're doing organs, which has everyone sighing because after our first two weeks of torture, this feels easy. Although I hear that the third section, head and neck, is pretty intense.

well i guess my next test in is the vertrebral column, spinal cord and brain (structures, muscles, nerves, arteries and veins)....man makes me shiver how i'm gonna do so much in such little time...

I just had my 4th and final anatomy exam yesterday and it was brutal. I pretty much learned all the structures of perineum and lower limb in 1 week because I had a comprehensive histology exam the week before. Painful. Painful.... :scared::scared:

And now we're doing organs, which has everyone sighing because after our first two weeks of torture, this feels easy.
With abdomen and organ systems, knowing all the relationships is going to be a major focus... e.g., the descending duodeum L1-L3 anterior the right kidney, the right ureter, the renal vessels, etc...