Next cycle? cGPA:3.29-3.32, sGPA:3.22, MCAT:31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohhhhonestly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m hoping to assess where I stand as a DO applicant for July/August.

GPA:
AACOMAS calculation
cGPA, 3.26
sGPA, 3.22

MCAT: 10/9/12

ECs:
-1 year internship as a coordinator at a non-profit, aiming at increasing access to volunteers for organizations in need of them
-1 year hospital volunteering, and I cycled through lab, ICU, and emergency room units, so about 4 months experience with each
-<1 year at various non profits, i.e. animal shelters, elderly homes, youth camps, about 3 months exp. each
-A small bit of DO shadowing
-No research experience

My low GPA is due to extreme slacking in my first 2 years in a different major (It was at a 2.3), and a slew of B’s and C’s in lower division science classes. No extreme story, no excuses except a bit of laziness, a pretty radical case of social anxiety (which I’ve fixed!), and abuse (which I’ve also fixed, but I don’t think it’s appropriate mentioning in my app). My AMCAS GPA is sub 3.0, but I’ve retaken 17 units of science courses that upped my AACOMAS GPA. So, my last 2 semesters have been at a 4.0, this includes retakes of o-chem 1/2, calculus, cell bio, biochem, and first time takes of immuno, cell neuro, and human physio w/lab. This is my last semester, and I’m confident I’ll get another 4.0, but none of the courses are science, so, only my cGPA would go up to a 3.32 at most.

I will have 2 good LOR’s by the end of this semester, and I think I can get a good DO letter depending on how much I can shadow until June... but I’m unsure how strong it would be. I have tried to get involved in UG research, but too late in the game, it’s been difficult to convince any PIs due to my proximity in graduating.

I’m assuming my overall app is pretty below average, any input? Improvements I can make? Tips on getting research experience, or different ECs? Which schools would be out of the question? I’m a California -_- resident and I am happy to apply to any DO school in my reach. Thank you all for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine.

You'll be fine.

Pretty much. Slightly below average gpa (depending on schools you apply to of course) and solid 5 points above average MCAT. Fact that you've done so well recently is going to pull a good bit of weight too.

Just don't apply to only a few schools and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say any DO school is out of your reach unless you blow your MCAT (something like a 21-23).

But just to be safe, you should still probably apply to at least 15 schools.

I'm a little excited you guys think I'll be okay. Thank you for the replies! Really hoping to stay on the west coast.

I wouldn't say any DO school is out of your reach unless you blow your MCAT (something like a 21-23).

But just to be safe, you should still probably apply to at least 15 schools.
Considering he/she already got a 31, I don't see that happening.

OP, you're more than fine. You'll get in if you apply broadly.

GPAs are a tad weak, but I think you'll get lots of interviews!

Hello!

I’m hoping to assess where I stand as a DO applicant for July/August.

GPA:
AACOMAS calculation
cGPA, 3.26
sGPA, 3.22

MCAT: 10/9/12

ECs:
-1 year internship as a coordinator at a non-profit, aiming at increasing access to volunteers for organizations in need of them
-1 year hospital volunteering, and I cycled through lab, ICU, and emergency room units, so about 4 months experience with each
-<1 year at various non profits, i.e. animal shelters, elderly homes, youth camps, about 3 months exp. each
-A small bit of DO shadowing
-No research experience

My low GPA is due to extreme slacking in my first 2 years in a different major (It was at a 2.3), and a slew of B’s and C’s in lower division science classes. No extreme story, no excuses except a bit of laziness, a pretty radical case of social anxiety (which I’ve fixed!), and abuse (which I’ve also fixed, but I don’t think it’s appropriate mentioning in my app). My AMCAS GPA is sub 3.0, but I’ve retaken 17 units of science courses that upped my AACOMAS GPA. So, my last 2 semesters have been at a 4.0, this includes retakes of o-chem 1/2, calculus, cell bio, biochem, and first time takes of immuno, cell neuro, and human physio w/lab. This is my last semester, and I’m confident I’ll get another 4.0, but none of the courses are science, so, only my cGPA would go up to a 3.32 at most.

I will have 2 good LOR’s by the end of this semester, and I think I can get a good DO letter depending on how much I can shadow until June... but I’m unsure how strong it would be. I have tried to get involved in UG research, but too late in the game, it’s been difficult to convince any PIs due to my proximity in graduating.

I’m assuming my overall app is pretty below average, any input? Improvements I can make? Tips on getting research experience, or different ECs? Which schools would be out of the question? I’m a California -_- resident and I am happy to apply to any DO school in my reach. Thank you all for reading!

Considering he/she already got a 31, I don't see that happening.

OP, you're more than fine. You'll get in if you apply broadly.

Wow. I read that as a date.

Which doesn't make any sense since that would be last fall.

You will benefit greatly from the strong upward trend in your GPA, the magic of the DO grade replacement system and your strong MCAT. Keep your commitment to your ECs strong and those letters along with your PS even stronger and you should have absolutely no problem going DO.

Gonna have a good cycle OP. Strong upward trend with good grades in upper div bio + high MCAT = profit. Apply early for best results.

Do some research on the schools you want to apply to. There are some DO schools that focus more on higher MCAT scores and less on lower GPAs. Best of luck!