Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Next Generation of Premeds

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by IndianVercetti, Jan 4, 2009.

1. IndianVercetti

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else scared as heck about the next generation of premed students? I was just checking out the high school forums (since I'm a new member), and it makes me feel like a total lazy a** thinking back to my HS days.

Studying for the MCAT at 16? Learning medical jargon? Figuring out what specialty to choose?

Someone needs to knock some sense into these guys...

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, just go read ANY thread in hSDN)

2. dahdah

Removed

What you see occurring in the hSDN part of this Web forum is a reflection of the reality of life today. Today's kids are learning more and more then what we learned when we were in high school. The push to be successful starts at a much younger age today then it did just in 2000.

Quit frankly, a good number of the folks in the hSDN part of this Web forum will have even stronger applications then most of the older SDN members (current college students).

In the end, the more things change the more they stay the same. The likely students to get into medical sschool will still have the same type of GPA, EC's, MCAT scores, etc. What may be different is the type of EC's and the numbers being a little higher because of the access to information that they now have that we never had.

3. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ****in neurotic gunners:smuggrin:

4. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I wouldn't give a second look at what a high schooler thought or said on here... If you thought the majority of regular SDN'ers are naive, high schoolers are the kings. Think about all you thought you knew as a high schooler... They'll get put in their place and the weeding out process will be as efficient as ever. They won't know all that much more than we needed to know... You need a good GPA, MCAT, and EC's...newsflash? The ones who have it will have the best chance...that won't change.

5. dahdah

Removed

In theory, a smart high school student could just purchase the same textbooks that are used in college and just learn the material while they are in high school. Then once they get into college they will already have a leg up on everyone else.

Newsflash!!! The material in college is not that difficult to learn on ones own.

6. IndianVercetti

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not trying to put down their efforts or anything. On one hand, I think it's great that they are pursuing their goals with true determination. But then again, at least for myself, so much of my personality right now has to do with the way I was in high school. I may not have been the brightest or hardest working student then, but I did have many key life experiences that I would not have had otherwise.

Slacking off is no good, but it's important to keep things in perspective. Worry about things when you get there.

7. dahdah

Removed

If I were a parent, I wouldn't mind my child focusing on stuff that is actually challenging IF they still play sports and hold down a small part-time job to pay for their gas and car insurance.

8. variablistic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let's face it, though. We're a small subset of all total applicants to medical school. And the uninitiated get a little nervous when they see some of our threads, the 3.9/38 who didn't get in, or someone's ridiculous ec's on their mdapps. We also know that more people are premed when they enter college as to when they exit college. So, the high school students who post on here are a smaller subset of the pre-med population than even we are.

I think my point is that what they're doing is a statistically insignificant subset of the high school want-to-be-premed population.

9. dahdah

Removed

Now that I think of it, at my wife's old high school there is a football player that made first team all-state and had a 4.0 GPA. He was required to have a 4.0 GPA to even play a sport. His dad is a doctor (hem/onc). This kid took college courses starting his senior year because of how hard his dad has pushed him. So he was already taking college courses, being a prominent athelte, and getting those life experiences. In one of the games this season he fumbled the ball away to cost a chance at a touchdown to win the conference. So he at least got some of the relaities in life (not everything will go your way all of the time).

10. IndianVercetti

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good point. You'll always get those Grey's Anatomy Premeds..

11. Algophiliac

Algophiliac Someday...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is a valid point, actually. You see kids studying for the SAT as early as 7th grade, skipping two grades of math, and other behaviors of that sort. Sadly enough, I do not believe this is an anomaly, but rather a progression of education! Who knows if the MCAT marticulation average will still be 30 four years from now? Not to mention, the best of the best can handle everything...life experiences, grades, you name it.

12. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    qfmft

13. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, everyone always references that guy who doesn't get in or the one who posts in "What are my chances" with a 4.0 and 40T but I have never really seen them.

I agree with PedsBro. Just because these high schoolers know what it takes at an earlier age doesn't mean they'll all be up to it. Studying for the MCAT at 16 is overkill. They will honestly have plenty of time in college for that, I know I did. Maybe they should work on the SAT first.

14. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I don't really agree with this. Of course everyone knows you have to have the GPA,MCAT, EC combo but what makes the incoming group more significant is better preparation for those things. They're becoming focused on what they need to do sooner to sculpt a better application chance in the future.

I don't think this is odd though. The average MCAT scores have been increasing over the years and people are taking on more extracurriculars and whatnot. However I'd keep one thing in mind. There's probably a few hundred (at best) active members of hSDN. This is a fraction of the future premed population so don't take anything they do as an indication of what to expect as a whole.

15. dahdah

Removed

Agreed. Chances are that the hSDN crowd want to be doctors then a larger portion of non members of hSDN that are high school students.

16. dahdah

Removed

I just hope that these high school kids really understand what they are getting into when they start there pre-med programs and before they hit that submit button for their medical school applications.

A lot of medicine these days is done by a checklist and a large portion of the everyday health problems are now being done by PAs and NPs.

17. larpleston

2+ Year Member

In some ways I agree with you, but you're not even in medical school yet, so it seems condescending to put them down. In all likelihood, they're taking advanced courses and are not that much younger than you. I can understand a resident or attending looking at the high schoolers and scoffing, but c'mon man, you're only in undergrad.

And I doubt that any of them are seriously studying for the MCAT. I would guess that they might have skimmed through some review books, but not much more. But it doesn't seem so unreasonable to think about specialties at any age. Of course they will most likely change their minds, but what do you care?

18. vadd0

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why study for the MCAT before you actually pay money to take classes to learn the material that will be on the MCAT? Seems kind of like trying to learn surgery before finishing anatomy, which is equally a waste of time.

19. fizzle

fizzle New Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Forget next generation, just look at THIS generation's pre-meds.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, just go read ANY thread in pre-Allo SDN)

"Oh no, I got a B! I'm never going to get in med school now!" :rolleyes:

20. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

You are just seeing the early cases of SDN syndrome. They will grow out of this or you will be treating them on your psychiatry rotation during third year.

You are supposed to experience things in secondary school and undergraduate. Summer is a great time to "slack off" and enjoy life. This has nothing to do with determination to reach goals. It has loads to do with helicopter parents who raised these folks starting with entrance exam prep courses for nursery school. Their issue becomes burnout at age 16. Thank your parents for letting you have some good life experiences in secondary school which will make you a more competent physician in the long run.

21. toothsome

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For someone who was an ex-"gunner" in high school I can tell you from experience that you can easily get burnt before even starting college. I was in the International Baccalaureate program in high school, which was harder than college I think, and took alot of college credits (AP). I was a swimmer and played an instrument in high school as well. Yea, I got into a better school but I know friends of mine that did way better then me in college. There are a few however that will gun all the way through medical school. Just worry about yourself and everything will be good.

22. Double A

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    People just need to chill, honestly.

23. 236116

What.

24. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You think it's bad now? Wait until you're a chief resident (or an attending) and you have to guide/teach the next generation when they are fresh, gunner residents. That's when my life will officially hit rock bottom.

25. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did nothing productive in highschool. I didn't take a book home from school until college, and took AP classes without studying for them. I did do community service because I liked the people and it was the right thing to do... not for a resume.

I think it's great that people know what they want to do at such a young age. What I don't understand is why everyone thinks everything is such a damn competition. I don't know if they know this yet, but their is no 1st place trophy post-residency. Only a long lifetime of paying off loans, decreasing physician reimbursement, and increased overhead.

A recent poll from the AMA showed that 60% of current IM physicians would not recommend medicine as a career choice for young adults. And that number is about the same regardless of specialty. There is no 1st place trophy, infact, it may be more like a consolation prize.

These people are all crazy, and they have absolutely no idea what kind of mass grave they are digging earlier and earlier in life.

26. Superman78

2+ Year Member

People change a lot in 4 or 5 years. Many of them will quit the premed route to pursue research or something completely different like business. A lot of them are after the big bucks and some will realize that Wall Street is better for that, if you're fine with living a shallow existence. Then there's always burn-out in college.

Things always get slowly more competitive as the population increases and each generation tries to do slightly better than the last, but it's never a rapid increase in competition, it's not like in 4 years the stats will be much higher.

27. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, when you're chief resident or better yet, an attending, you pimp them a new one.

28. SweetButterfly

2+ Year Member

Ill tell you one thing; I think its better to have a clue about what youre getting into rather than blindly going in.

Ive come to realize that many premeds have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER about what they are getting themselves into. I go to a small school. School stats show that about 263 students declared under the bio department fall semester: Biology, Biomedical sciences, Biology educ... I went and checked graduation records and about 40 people graduated (last year).

As a freshman. Ive already seen people droppping out of the program, flunk, freak out about bad grades, question their ability, MAJOR GUNNERS:laugh: (i sit in some of the classes and this kid asked the guy next to him for a PEN for a lab test they were about to take and he said NO you should have been prepared. NOt being prepared takes you nowhere he declared as he sheltered his test and turned away!! LOL. i gave the kid my pen and laughed..).

Theres no problem in doing some research on what youll be doing. This way you'll know how competitive it is, youll have an idea of what you should do, you'll realize that just because you got into Cornell's undergrad-it doesnt mean you'll automatically get into their med school, YES there is a test you have to take before med school, there's also a specific process you have to go through after....Youll also realize that just because you are an URM (I am) you dont get a free ride to any school you want to just because you applied....

As with many things moderation is key. Theres life outside of being a premed and high schoool. As long as youre not throwing that away....

I ran across SDN while doing some research on the medical field and med school in particular the summer before my senior year?. Im not officially premed right now but ive somehow become addicted to SDN...:rolleyes:

29. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    hSDN just like SDN in general is generally composed of the most competitive and dedicated pre-meds evidence by the fact that they found this resource so early and are committed to achieving their goals. I just hope that med. school admissions focus more on the individuals personality rather than on the amount of activities they do

30. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is why there needs to be psych evals as a requisite for med. school admissions. This kid should never be allowed any poor dumb bastard lying on a gurney with a bullet in his chest.. hes libel to tell him he shouldn't have brought a knife to a gun fight. I hope med school isn't chock full of narcissists like this guy.

31. IndianVercetti

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow...

32. condoleezarice

2+ Year Member

Is hSDN healthy? I really don't see the point of that forum; it's just going to create a lot of neuroticism too early.

33. IndianVercetti

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    my honest belief is that it's only natural for when someone is in a particular stage of life, to want to be at the next stage. For many of us, we're absolutely anxious to become medical students. At least to some degree, we think that most of our problems will be over once we get that first acceptance. But on that same token, when you finally become a medical student, you probably will be anxious as ever to get into your clinical years, etc.

So, it's only logical that these high schoolers just want to get out of the mundane, 8-3 school day, and get into college, have their own schedule, feel like they are working towards something. As I was rethinking what I said earlier, this apparent 'neuroticism' may simply be their 'dreaming' of what life must be like as a college student/medical student/resident. On one hand, it's healthy, but on the other hand, it's distracting them from their goal at hand - which is to get good marks on the SAT, finals, and so on.