Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

next interview topic

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by johndean11229, Aug 30, 2001.

1. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

ok, so i m studying up on the answers to many questions, but now i am hearing that we should be prepared with questions ourselves. well, i mean, i read the web site and it kina tell all that needs to be known...is anyone out there making up questions? ...or are you just gonna fling it while the interview is happening??? thanks and good luck!!!

2. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No, I'm writing up questions and I'm bringing them in with me.

I'm planning to ask things like:
    Structure of curriculum (although I'll have a general idea already)
    Match percentages/probability of staying at the school for residency
    Cool research they have going on

Haven't really thought up any others yet, but I plan to have a bunch ready.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, since you'll be compariing schools, you want to know what makes them stand out above the rest. Not only are you selling yourself to them, they're selling themselves to you. So ask about research opportunities, how many hours per week you're in class, the difficulty level of the classes, financial aid, local housing, commuting and prices, quality of the teaching facilities, clinical work, what the interviewer likes best about the school - and perhaps even likes least. If this is where I'm going to spend four years of my life, I'd be sure to know what I'm getting myself into.

Andrew

4. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Andrew: all the above sounds great to ask. I will keep these things in mind.

5. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Don't ask questions that you could find out by looking on their website..it makes you look like a suckup who doesn't do any research before going to the school

6. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

scooby, i def agree, but i feel the web site def answers everything if you search right, so what else would you suggest???

7. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I think a little follow-through would be nice. At the interview you'd be getting an off-the-cuff response, not the polished statements you see on the web site. Similar to how they may ask you things you already stated on your app, but they ask you again because they want the real deal.

Andrew

8. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In my interviews, I always tried to ask the interviewer the following:

1) how would you describe the medical students?
    2) I'm looking for a school that has X, Y & Z (fill-in your most important), how would you say your school fits with these criteria? (mine were things like a supportive atmosphere, challenging/engaging classes, opportunities for research)
    3) what do you do? (i.e., clinical work, research, etc)

These are just suggestions, but there are lots of things to ask (e.g., about the curriculum, student extracurricular activities, etc.). Just always be polite in the phrasing of your questions - I personally stayed away from questions about matching and board scores, because I felt it made me look like I was only concerned with "numbers" rather than trying to find out what being a medical student there is like and if I would fit well in the atmosphere. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

9. katiep

katiep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would ask how the things that make me stand out fit within the school. For example, if you're a non-traditional student, how easily would you fit in. Or, if you play piano, what kind of extracurricular activities, like performance groups or concerts, are there to get involved. If you are interested in diabetes, what kind of research is going on at the school, and how could you participate in it.

The advantages are that, one, you get answers that you actually care about. Two, it brings it back on what makes you stand out, thereby reinforcing your image to the interviewer, and potentially talking further about your strong points. Three, it really does make it seem that you're interviewing them, as much as they are interviewing you, which gives off a better impression.

I agree that questions which are easily answered from the bulletin/Web site, such as curriculum format, isn't the most productive.