Next mayo adcom meeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

Do u guys know when they meet next. Also, how many people do they accept at each meeting. thx.

Members don't see this ad.

the peanut butter adcom meeting is friday, so that makes the mayo meeting a week from tomorrow.

I don't know how often they meet, but they must have met last week b/c I got a happy call on Friday 2/11- oh and I think they are very conservative with their acceptances- last year they accepted only about 65 total to fill the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
chlorineK said:
I don't know how often they meet, but they must have met last week b/c I got a happy call on Friday 2/11- oh and I think they are very conservative with their acceptances- last year they accepted only about 65 total to fill the class.

Congrats!!!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

chlorineK said:

Hey when did you interview with Mayo? I interviewed on the 24th of Jan and just got a "you've been ranked email" on 2/15/05. Do you know what that means?

demalo said:
Hey when did you interview with Mayo? I interviewed on the 24th of Jan and just got a "you've been ranked email" on 2/15/05. Do you know what that means?

I interviewed on 1/31, so we were both ranked on the same meeting I am sure. What that means is that you can be offered acceptance at any time now if/when your # comes to the top. GOOD LUCK. :)

After being ranked, I was put on hold a week later. Hold means that you could be accepted by May 15, but it is not likely seeing that the number of qualified applicants is much higher this year. So looks like I am heading for the waitlist :( ...U Wisc here I come :scared: .

GOBUCKY! said:
After being ranked, I was put on hold a week later. Hold means that you could be accepted by May 15, but it is not likely seeing that the number of qualified applicants is much higher this year. So looks like I am heading for the waitlist :( ...U Wisc here I come :scared: .

Is that fairly common, do you know? So ranking means you are still in the game as off now and hold means wait till after March 15th? Do you know how many are accepted at each adcom meeting?

demalo said:
Is that fairly common, do you know? So ranking means you are still in the game as off now and hold means wait till after March 15th? Do you know how many are accepted at each adcom meeting?

no, that's not true. Do a search for previous threads and you will see that hold is fairly common.

Hold does not mean that you're out of the game - it just means that you were not on the top of the ranking list at the next adcom meeting. You can be taken off of hold and given an acceptance for any of the next meetings if you are on the top of the list. Several people on SDN were put on hold and then given an acceptance a week later. (However, it's been awhile for me, so i'm not holding my breath). All the holds that are not accepted by March 15th will then either be put on a waitlist or rejected.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, btw, b/c I'm no Mayo expert. As for when the next adcom meetings are, I have absolutely no idea - it looks like they met last week and the week before that. Considering the small class size, I would imagine that only a handful of people get accepted at each meeting.

Hang tight, guys!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

maygirl said:
no, that's not true. Do a search for previous threads and you will see that hold is fairly common.

Hold does not mean that you're out of the game - it just means that you were not on the top of the ranking list at the next adcom meeting. You can be taken off of hold and given an acceptance for any of the next meetings if you are on the top of the list. Several people on SDN were put on hold and then given an acceptance a week later. (However, it's been awhile for me, so i'm not holding my breath). All the holds that are not accepted by March 15th will then either be put on a waitlist or rejected.

That would be affirmative.

maygirl said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, btw, b/c I'm no Mayo expert. As for when the next adcom meetings are, I have absolutely no idea - it looks like they met last week and the week before that. Considering the small class size, I would imagine that only a handful of people get accepted at each meeting.

Hang tight, guys!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

So I have one more shot during the next adcom to be accepted and then I get put on hold? A letter of intent would not be helpful as of now I take it from the previous discussion, but if wait-listed, then send one? Do they fill to capacity by March 15th and then wait for withdrawls? Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maygirl is right about people getting accepted after being put on hold, but a lot of people are on hold. I am very pessimistic.

What I hate is you don't know how you rank at all and taht you can only move down or stay at the same spot because interviews are still going on.

So personally, I don't think my odds are that good just by looking at the profiles of those accepted from mdapplicants.blah .

Am I totally uninformed and off-base?

From what I heard, 17 got off the waitlist last year so there is tiny bit of hope after May 15.

GOBUCKY! said:
Maygirl is right about people getting accepted after being put on hold, but a lot of people are on hold. I am very pessimistic.

What I hate is you don't know how you rank at all and taht you can only move down or stay at the same spot because interviews are still going on.

So personally, I don't think my odds are that good just by looking at the profiles of those accepted from mdapplicants.blah .

Am I totally uninformed and off-base?

From what I heard, 17 got off the waitlist last year so there is tiny bit of hope after May 15.

No, I totally understand. I have no hope either. If I've been on hold this long, it probably means that I'll never reach the top of the list because they're still interviewing, and let's face it, my stats are rather average. But I'm anxious for April to come around so that I can either be rejected (so I can get some closure) or at least be put on the waitlist.

they told me over the phone.

demalo said:
So I have one more shot during the next adcom to be accepted and then I get put on hold? A letter of intent would not be helpful as of now I take it from the previous discussion, but if wait-listed, then send one? Do they fill to capacity by March 15th and then wait for withdrawls? Thanks for the info.

Yes they do offer enough acceptances to be full by March 15th. Last year there was 6 acceptances given on the 15th of March (I was one of them)... so I would not give up hope of an acceptance until after the 15th - even then there is still the waitlist. Also, I believe that the rank list is not completely a numbered list that is followed strictly. They are pretty good about keeping a balanced class, so they may adjust who gets accepted based on # of male/female, non-traditional/traditional, or any other type of division you could think of. If Mayo is your top choice, send the letter stating this is the fact. It can't hurt you, and they definately want to accept people who are going to matriculate and not people who are just hanging on for ego inflation.

Just wondering if anyone has heard if the adcom meeting was yesterday? Thanks. :)

kel780 said:
Just wondering if anyone has heard if the adcom meeting was yesterday? Thanks. :)

Ms. Porter told me last Thursday that it would be a week from then. That would mean yesterday.

demalo said:
Ms. Porter told me last Thursday that it would be a week from then. That would mean yesterday.

Who's Ms. Porter? Was she one of you interviewers or something? The only admissions office staff (i.e., non Committee Members) that I met were Jane Satre and Cynthia Streed.

PatentGuy33 said:
Who's Ms. Porter? Was she one of you interviewers or something? The only admissions office staff (i.e., non Committee Members) that I met were Jane Satre and Cynthia Streed.

Ms. Porter is the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. She is on the adcom.

demalo said:
Ms. Porter is the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. She is on the adcom.

OK, thanks for the info. I only met Dr. Barrier (assoc. Dean) on my interview day, and was not aware that there was an assistant Dean as well!

Chankovsky said:
Do u guys know when they meet next. Also, how many people do they accept at each meeting. thx.

The adcom meets every Thursday to rank applicants. After you've been discussed you are given a ranked score, and that's what the "you have been ranked" email is all about. On the third Thursday of every month they go through the ranked list and make appointments - only a small number with very high overall rankings get accepted imediately. All others are put on hold, and as someone stated, can be accepted at any future time - although I did not know about the March deadline. I, too, am on hold. I interviewed in mid Jan. Mayo is by far by first choice - I had an amazing time there. Good luck, everyone.

Tigger27 said:
The adcom meets every Thursday to rank applicants. After you've been discussed you are given a ranked score, and that's what the "you have been ranked" email is all about. On the third Thursday of every month they go through the ranked list and make appointments - only a small number with very high overall rankings get accepted imediately. All others are put on hold, and as someone stated, can be accepted at any future time - although I did not know about the March deadline. I, too, am on hold. I interviewed in mid Jan. Mayo is by far by first choice - I had an amazing time there. Good luck, everyone.

I received the email stating that I had been ranked in mid feb. but have not received an email that says I am on "hold." When do I get the hold email?

im wondering the same (as above)...

I just recently received the you've been ranked e-mail. How long before I can expect the next decision?
...whatever it may be :rolleyes:

chumpana said:
im wondering the same (as above)...

I just recently received the you've been ranked e-mail. How long before I can expect the next decision?
...whatever it may be :rolleyes:

at the next decision meeting, whenever that is. But since March 15th is coming soon (which is when the last several acceptances will be given out before they waitlist and reject people), I would say within the next several weeks.

maygirl said:
at the next decision meeting, whenever that is. But since March 15th is coming soon (which is when the last several acceptances will be given out before they waitlist and reject people), I would say within the next several weeks.

chumpana said:
If anyone gets any waitlist ("hold list") movement, or hears of any, please post it! I should wean myself off of this fantasy, but it's so hard to let go, you know?

Tigger27 said:
If anyone gets any waitlist ("hold list") movement, or hears of any, please post it! I should wean myself off of this fantasy, but it's so hard to let go, you know?

yeah, i know what you mean.....i know i have a chance in hell, but it's that small 0.0000001% chance that keeps me posting in this thread.

You guys, keep your spirits up! I left Mayo thinking I had no chance of getting in there, and I DID!!!

maygirl said:
yeah, i know what you mean.....i know i have a chance in hell, but it's that small 0.0000001% chance that keeps me posting in this thread.

There's nohthing wrong with hoping. you just never know ;)
besides you made a HUGE cut just by being invited to the interview. they definitely liked you :D
goodluck everyone... a few more weeks :luck:

This is essentially just a bump, but to justify your time spent reading this, I'll ask the following question...

Anyone who interviewed at Mayo in Feb. heard anything concerning status yet? I guess Adcom was supposed to have met and ranked/waitlisted/rejected this crop of interviewees last Thurs.

Is there a difference between the Adcom versus a Decision meeting?

I dont know, but they had one of them today. I just got...put on hold.

demalo said:
I dont know, but they had one of them today. I just got...put on hold.

Does anyone feel like you've been waitlisted for a while and you'll never rise to the top of pile.

Hi all -

I just declined my acceptance to mayo (VERY hard to do, but it was a location battle for me), so I really hope one of you gets called in my place. They will receive the letter today.

Good luck

chlorineK said:
Hi all -

I just declined my acceptance to mayo (VERY hard to do, but it was a location battle for me), so I really hope one of you gets called in my place. They will receive the letter today.

Good luck

I do realize that mustve been a tough decision. Ive always wanted an acceptance, but dreaded having to make the decision between great school or great location. Best of luck to you. and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

:)

chlorineK said:
Hi all -

Good luck

Are you gonna go to DUKE?

Hi guys,

Demalo- yes, I think I am going to Duke. Durham is not a much better location than Rochester, but it is easy for me to get to see my friends (direct flights to boston and NYC) and my parents (in florida). And, although it is tough to admit, I was having nightmares about the thought of being single-30rd old as an MS4 in Rochester. I cannot believe I turned down such an amazing opportunity at Mayo, but I am glad to have freed up another spot for you guys (hopefully).

GOOD LUCK. Mayo is so awesome.

Also, if you guys are worried about stats, my profile is on mdapplicants #2907.

Best :)

chlorineK said:
Hi guys,

Demalo- yes, I think I am going to Duke. Durham is not a much better location than Rochester, but it is easy for me to get to see my friends (direct flights to boston and NYC) and my parents (in florida). And, although it is tough to admit, I was having nightmares about the thought of being single-30rd old as an MS4 in Rochester. I cannot believe I turned down such an amazing opportunity at Mayo, but I am glad to have freed up another spot for you guys (hopefully).

GOOD LUCK. Mayo is so awesome.

Well, congratulations! Thank you for freeing a spot up for all of us still waiting.

demalo said:
Well, congratulations! Thank you for freeing a spot up for all of us still waiting.

Yeah, big congrats! And good luck to everyone (myself included ;) ) still waiting to get off hold. I for one am getting sick of all the "hold the mayo" and "no mayo for you" jokes I get from friends whenever I go out to eat these days!

Also put on hold, as of Friday... ::sigh::... goodluck guys :luck: