Next step after one full year of physics? (MD Candidate with expired courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should an MD candidate with expired courses who has taught first year physics for 10 years, retake first year physics, or take some other upper level class to prove that skills are still sharp before applying to medical school? If the later, WHAT COURSE would be recommended? What physics class (or classes) comes after first year physics?

Members don't see this ad.

My prereqs were 10 years old and I did not take any more classes. A 90th percentile mcat will show you are sharp.

I would be much more happier with a candidate who had taken a decent upper level Biology course, like Anatomy, Physiology, Med Micro, Pharmacology or Neuroscience, to name a few.

You can rely on the MCAT PS section to show those particular skills are sharp.

There are some med schools that specifically state they want pre-reqs to be no older than, say, five years.

Physical Chemistry might be a good thing to try, if you're interested in following the physics thing.

Should an MD candidate with expired courses who has taught first year physics for 10 years, retake first year physics, or take some other upper level class to prove that skills are still sharp before applying to medical school? If the later, WHAT COURSE would be recommended? What physics class (or classes) comes after first year physics?