Next Step full length 1 scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I took my first nextstep 1 mcat full length yesterday and I was wondering if the scores seemed a little bit inflated to you guys? I got a 501 (I am not complaining), but it seemed like I should have gotten lower since I missed a decent amount and I got a 125 on chem/physics i think i got 31/59. How do your guys's scores compare?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 494 on Kaplan 1, 73% overall (66%/87%/64%/75%) on the AAMC sample test (unscored), and a 507 on NS 1 (127/125/127/128). It's a bit more in line with the AAMC sample test so I'd trust it.

I got a 494 on Kaplan 1, 73% overall (66%/87%/64%/75%) on the AAMC sample test (unscored), and a 507 on NS 1 (127/125/127/128). It's a bit more in line with the AAMC sample test so I'd trust it.

How many questions did you get right on the Next step 1 chem/physics section if you dont mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took NS FL 1 as well. I really feel like this is accurate of the MCAT( not just cause I got a good practice score lol).

When I did it, it really felt similar to the AAMC unscored FL. And my scores reflected that as well.

My NS FL 1 score was a 510.
CP 128 87%
CARS 127 81%
BB 126 67%
PS 129 93%

My AAMC unscored FL was

CP 63% ( I studied hard to improve this score)
CARS 94%
BB 75%
PS 80%

I took NS FL 1 as well. I really feel like this is accurate of the MCAT( not just cause I got a good practice score lol).

When I did it, it really felt similar to the AAMC unscored FL. And my scores reflected that as well.

My NS FL 1 score was a 510.
CP 128 87%
CARS 127 81%
BB 126 67%
PS 129 93%

My AAMC unscored FL was

CP 63% ( I studied hard to improve this score)
CARS 94%
BB 75%
PS 80%
So it looks like you took the AAMC unscored FL first... that's why you're C/P improved on NS 1, right? Also, have you taken the AAMC scored FL yet? If not, when are you planning on taking it? I'd just like to see how that score compares to you NS score.

Oh and it looks like the percentages next to your NS scores are your percentiles, not your actual percentage correct, right?

Last edited:
Forgot to mention my NS 1 scores

C/P 128 (41/59)
CARS 126 (35/53)
B/B 126 (34/59)
P/S 127 (38/59)

Forgot to mention my NS 1 scores

C/P 128 (41/59)
CARS 126 (35/53)
B/B 126 (34/59)
P/S 127 (38/59)

Thanks for responding! I also got a 127 on the psych section and got a 38/59 right. Do you feel like a 38/59 would actually get us a 127 on the real thing?

Thanks for responding! I also got a 127 on the psych section and got a 38/59 right. Do you feel like a 38/59 would actually get us a 127 on the real thing?

I am pretty sure it mostly has to do with percentiles, although there are more complex calculations than that from what I've heard. In any case, your score isn't directly based on how many question you got right as much as it is based on how well you did compared to other people who took the exam.

It looks like NS uses a similar system because they show the percent of people who choose each answer. If this is the way they are calculating their scores, it seems like it won't really be accurate considering the fact that the average test taker isn't going to be taking 6 or more FL tests, so it seems like it would underestimate your score.

yeah i agree with what @smr said above. it's really hard translate our NS scores into an actual score. i just think the point of the practice test scores is to track your improvement from test to test. how many NS tests are you planning on doing? when is your test date?

yeah i agree with what @smr said above. it's really hard translate our NS scores into an actual score. i just think the point of the practice test scores is to track your improvement from test to test. how many NS tests are you planning on doing? when is your test date?
My test day is may 6th. I bought the 6 next step exam package, along with the AAMC tests. So you guys are saying it underestimates your score?!

My test day is may 6th. I bought the 6 next step exam package, along with the AAMC tests. So you guys are saying it underestimates your score?!

Unless the tests have significantly changed, the data on the the table found here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...percentiles-and-practice-exam-scores.1143965/) definitely suggest that the NS scores are deflated, but not as deflated as the other prep companies. I have taken the first 6 NS exams, four 510s, one 506 and one 511. Hoping for a 514 on the real thing on April 1st. I will take the official exams the last week of this month. I think I am going to try an EK exam this week.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the tests have significantly changed, the data on the the table found here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...percentiles-and-practice-exam-scores.1143965/) definitely suggest that the NS scores are deflated, but not as deflated as the other prep companies. I have taken the first 6 NS exams, four 510s, one 506 and one 511. Hoping for a 514 on the real thing on April 1st. I will take the official exams the last week of this month. I think I am going to try an EK exam this week.
Nice alright thanks! Good luck :)

Curious, what are your scores in order from NS test 1-6? Are you not taking 7-10? Have you taken any other FLs (e.g. TPR or Kap)? Just trying to compare my scores.

I took the first exam and was a little surprised to not see very many passages adapted from research journals like the new MCAT is... Pretty sure each science section had only 1-2 at the very most. Did you notice if the other NS tests (2-6) had more passages adapted from actual research journals?

I took the first exam and was a little surprised to not see very many passages adapted from research journals like the new MCAT is... Pretty sure each science section had only 1-2 at the very most. Did you notice if the other NS tests (2-6) had more passages adapted from actual research journals?
I'm sorry I haven't taken the rest! I could let you know when I do if you would like though. Do you mind posting how you did on the NS FL1 like how many you got right, and your corresponding score (125 etc)?

Curious, what are your scores in order from NS test 1-6? Are you not taking 7-10? Have you taken any other FLs (e.g. TPR or Kap)? Just trying to compare my scores.

Diag-508, FL1-510, FL2-510, FL3-510, FL4-506 (ran out of time), FL5-511, FL6, 510.

I have only taken the AAMC bio question packs 1 & 2, scored 87% and 90%, but I hear these are easy for most people and not that representative of the new test. I am either going to take the section banks or an EK test next. I plan on doing the official exams the last week, so I might get more NS exams, not sure. It seems like the quality is falling off a bit. I noticed a number of typos in FL6 and there have been a few errors in the explanations. SPOILER ALERT!!! Suppression is conscious forgetting, whereas repression is unconscious forgetting. I just got through hearing this on a step 1 prep video, but NS explained that suppression was unconscious...

but NS explained that . . .

Heya, if you ever notice something in our materials that doesn't sound right, please do let us know (post in our forums here, use the "feedback" button in the test, email us at mcat@nextsteptestprep etc.) Esp. w. the tests, we'll fix it immediately.

Diag-508, FL1-510, FL2-510, FL3-510, FL4-506 (ran out of time), FL5-511, FL6, 510.

I have only taken the AAMC bio question packs 1 & 2, scored 87% and 90%, but I hear these are easy for most people and not that representative of the new test. I am either going to take the section banks or an EK test next. I plan on doing the official exams the last week, so I might get more NS exams, not sure. It seems like the quality is falling off a bit. I noticed a number of typos in FL6 and there have been a few errors in the explanations. SPOILER ALERT!!! Suppression is conscious forgetting, whereas repression is unconscious forgetting. I just got through hearing this on a step 1 prep video, but NS explained that suppression was unconscious...

did you find AAMC representative of NS exam scores?
curious to know. I thought FL3 Psych/Soc section seemed to be on the easier side.

How many weeks before your AAMC unscored FL did you take Kaplan 1?