Next step prep new version of shortened MCAT Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody taken the new shortened version of the MCAT through the next step prep exams? They released short versions now to mimic the real thing. I was wondering what people think in terms of how reliable the scores are and if anybody has actual calculations as to how many you can miss per section for instance to yield a certain score (in comparison to the full length Version that next step prep has made in the past). For example, my ideal score on CARS is a 126 and a minimum of 125. I was wondering how many out of 48 you can miss to hit that goal. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I heard, AAMC only removed one passage for CARS. Usually, you get around 128, when you get one question wrong per passage (40/48). Assuming you lose a point for every two questions wrong, then I would estimate 34/48 to yield around 125. Again, this is just a mathematical hypothesis.

Use third party exams to mimic the timing of your actual MCAT, but use official AAMC exams to mimic how your exam scores. While nobody is certain, I have no doubt that examinees will score similarly on their AAMC FL exams and the shortened exam on test day.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user