Next Step: SMP, Post-Bacc, DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating in two semesters (after 5 years) with a BA in psychology, chemistry minor, and medical school pre-requisites complete. My expected uGPA is 3.283 and sGPA 2.959, with approximately 162 credits total.

I struggled my first couple years of college, jumping around majors (biology -> physics -> psychology); I was academically immature and did not have a clear focus. I have addressed the underlying issues and have managed to earn a 3.95 the last 52 credits (this includes organic chemistry I & II and other science courses stacked with psychology classes). Unfortunately, my GPA is not where it needs to be. My EC's also need work since I didn't decide on medicine until late:

EC's currently include:

Pain Clinical:
~ 3,000 hrs ED scribing/chief scribe (will continue to accumulate)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
~ 75 hrs teaching English as a foreign language in Indonesia
~ 20 hours TA for an EMT class

Clinical Volunteering:
~35 hours with a local underserved patient advocacy group
*Completing EMT-B certification now

Shadowing:
-None

Research:
-None

Leadership:
- Chief Scribe

Hobbies:
- Competing in Triathlons (exercise ~10 hrs a week)
- Reading

Tentatively my plan is to finish my last two semesters strong. Continue to accumulate extracurricular hours, and most importantly really kill the MCAT (517+). Let's focus on the best-case scenario where I score this well. Should my focus be post-bacc programs, SMP, or applying DO? Are there any other options I should be taking into consideration?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be graduating in two semesters (after 5 years) with a BA in psychology, chemistry minor, and medical school pre-requisites complete. My expected uGPA is 3.283 and sGPA 2.959, with approximately 162 credits total.

I struggled my first couple years of college, jumping around majors (biology -> physics -> psychology); I was academically immature and did not have a clear focus. I have addressed the underlying issues and have managed to earn a 3.95 the last 52 credits (this includes organic chemistry I & II and other science courses stacked with psychology classes). Unfortunately, my GPA is not where it needs to be. My EC's also need work since I didn't decide on medicine until late:

EC's currently include:

Pain Clinical:

Clinical Volunteering:

Shadowing:
-None

Research:
-None

Leadership:
- Chief Scribe

Hobbies:
- Reading

Tentatively my plan is to finish my last two semesters strong. Continue to accumulate extracurricular hours, and most importantly really kill the MCAT (517+). Let's focus on the best-case scenario where I score this well. Should my focus be post-bacc programs, SMP, or applying DO? Are there any other options I should be taking into consideration?
Everybody thinks that they're going to kill the MCAT..do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready. Your 50 most recent hours are killer, and may be enough that you can try a cycle to see how it shakes out. You will need to have DO and MD schools on your list, AND during the app year, either do a DIY post-bac, or also apply to an SMP.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 user

EC's currently include:

Pain Clinical:

Clinical Volunteering:

Shadowing:
-None

Research:
-None

Leadership:
- Chief Scribe

Hobbies:
- Reading

Heed Goro's advice, especially about the MCAT. If you could take a class or two extra, in the semester you are free, to bump up that science GPA to a 3.0 it will theoretically look better and you avoid some auto-screening. However, don't take them if they are going to take away focus from your MCAT studying. If everything goes well and you manage to take the MCAT make sure you start prepping everything for the application cycle. Its to your benefit to be complete/verified 1st day it opens.