next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxoinlovewithleoxoxo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
as of right now i am in the process of figuring out my steps for next year.
i am taking a gap year mainly because i took my MCAT at end of August and was unable to get my scores back until end of September. I am not sure of what to do during my gap year, I looked into the SMP programs to get a masters in biomedical sciences or physiology. I also do not know if I should retake my MCAT before applying to med schools, I am wondering if anybody else is in similar spots and has any advice
here are my stats as of now in my senior year at Villanova:
3.64 cum gpa, 28 MCAT (1o phy, 8 verbal, 10 bio)
i have decent amount of extracurriculars and i am pretty sure i have fairly strong rec letters
I feel like i screwed up on the verbal and could probably do much better, i am just a little nervous about taking all the time and strength again to retake the MCAT
any advice or suggestions would help thank you

Members don't see this ad.

as of right now i am in the process of figuring out my steps for next year.
i am taking a gap year mainly because i took my MCAT at end of August and was unable to get my scores back until end of September. I am not sure of what to do during my gap year, I looked into the SMP programs to get a masters in biomedical sciences or physiology. I also do not know if I should retake my MCAT before applying to med schools, I am wondering if anybody else is in similar spots and has any advice
here are my stats as of now in my senior year at Villanova:
3.64 cum gpa, 28 MCAT (1o phy, 8 verbal, 10 bio)
i have decent amount of extracurriculars and i am pretty sure i have fairly strong rec letters
I feel like i screwed up on the verbal and could probably do much better, i am just a little nervous about taking all the time and strength again to retake the MCAT
any advice or suggestions would help thank you
What is your BCPM GPA? Most SMPs require an MCAT of 30+ and you don't need one if your BCPM is in line with your cGPA.

Do you have a lenient in-state school? Will you include some DO med schools on your application list?

Choices for a gap year should be driven by areas in which you are weak that need to be shored up for the sake of Secondaries and interview conversations.

If I were you, (although I totally see how it's hard to accumulate the strength/energy to do this) I would give the MCAT one more shot. You can probably improve on verbal for sure, like you've said, and biology isn't *that* difficult to improve on if you do a lot of reading and practice. It really will just take tons of energy; perhaps if you build it up again, motivate yourself, and plan out a nice schedule, it will be easier! I don't know if this is something you're thinking about already, but a 30+ MCAT will definitely help your chances, and I wish you all the best :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My BCPM is around a 3.55 and after next semester I think I could bring it up to a 3.60, what is BCPM gpa do most try and shoot for? Would it be wise to study/take MCAT during the year off while doing volunteering, work, or other schooling? I guess I am a little stuck on what else to do on the year off besides these SMP programs. any ideas? thank you

1) My BCPM is around a 3.55 and after next semester I think I could bring it up to a 3.60, what is BCPM gpa do most try and shoot for?
2) Would it be wise to study/take MCAT during the year off while doing volunteering, work, or other schooling?
3) I guess I am a little stuck on what else to do on the year off besides these SMP programs. any ideas? thank you
1) The average matriculant BCPM GPA for MD schools is 3.63. That or higher is a reasonable goal. You're in the ballpark, so good.

2) Retaking after you can dedicate 2-3 months to studying is a good plan, but no later than June (ideally earlier than this) of the application year.

3) Since we don't know your strengths or weaknesses, it's hard to give personal advice. Many choose a job in a research lab or medical environment, or some type of social service even if it comes with a stipend, like Americorps. Any job in the public service sector can be good if you maintain some form of clinical exposure and nonmedical community service.

The only problem with retaking the MCAT is that I do not see it reasonable to be able to retake it before June. These upcoming months are my last smester at college and will be crazy busy as I am taking 18 credits and dealing with a lot of graduation required events and vacations. I do not think I could reasonably take the MCAT again and be prepared well enough until near August. I was also planning on going to Africa for 2 months to volunteer in a hospital in the summer, granted I can always cancel this as I only put down the deposit and have not paid entirely for the trip. Would this be a bad idea to retake near the end of summer? I just am unsure of the timing and when to get this done.

The only problem with retaking the MCAT is that I do not see it reasonable to be able to retake it before June. These upcoming months are my last smester at college and will be crazy busy as I am taking 18 credits and dealing with a lot of graduation required events and vacations. I do not think I could reasonably take the MCAT again and be prepared well enough until near August. I was also planning on going to Africa for 2 months to volunteer in a hospital in the summer, granted I can always cancel this as I only put down the deposit and have not paid entirely for the trip. Would this be a bad idea to retake near the end of summer? I just am unsure of the timing and when to get this done.
If you plan to take the MCAT later than July, plan on applying the following summer. Applying that late in the year is shooting yourself in the foot regarding your admissions chances. If you truly are that busy, take another gap year and take the MCAT in the spring before you apply. Or apply with your current MCAT and plan to retake it in the spring if you are not admitted anywhere. You can also significantly increase your admissions chances without retaking the MCAT at all if you apply DO as well.