Next time someone says "Isn't it disgusting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And to think this heated debate about the merits of dentists vs. physicians started with a simple one line joke....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

And to think this heated debate about the merits of dentists vs. physicians started with a simple one line joke....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lets face it guys: Dentistry is simply a second rate health care profession for people who could never quite cut it in Med School. Although we make up all these excuses about quality of life and not having to deal with insurance as much - its obvious in the end that we just arent as smart as physiciaans.

I mean, that's half the reason why I went Dental. In high school, I got a 19 on my ACT and a 860 on my SATS. In college, I tried the MCAT and got an overall score of 21. Discouraged, I took the DAT and got a 24 AA. So here I am, A DENTIST!!! :)

You must be joking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets face it guys: Dentistry is simply a second rate health care profession for people who could never quite cut it in Med School. Although we make up all these excuses about quality of life and not having to deal with insurance as much - its obvious in the end that we just arent as smart as physiciaans.

I mean, that's half the reason why I went Dental. In high school, I got a 19 on my ACT and a 860 on my SATS. In college, I tried the MCAT and got an overall score of 21. Discouraged, I took the DAT and got a 24 AA. So here I am, A DENTIST!!! :)

Speak for yourself.
Douchebag.

I hear you man. At my med-school interviews those arrogant SOB's couldn't see past my Down syndrome. So here I am, a dentist.

When did the topic of this thread change? It was pretty good about 30 posts ago.

The intarwebs need a sarcasm button :laugh:

Yeah, we are SOOOO stupid, that we laugh like idiots all the way to the bank! :laugh:

I hear you man. At my med-school interviews those arrogant SOB's couldn't see past my Down syndrome. So here I am, a dentist.

LOL. Is that why people keep asking me questions about some sort of short bus?

to have your hands in people's mouths all day?" Just respond, I think of it more as putting my hands in their wallets. Shuts em up every time. ;)
As I like to tell my friends (those who aren't in the dental field), "I prefer working in this orifice as oppose to the other (ie. proctologist)" but I haven't actually used that line with a patient to date. LOL!

Yeah dentists get a bad rap, but it could be worse. I am going through four years of med school and then four years of residency to become a PSYCHIATRIST! Many in hollywood belong to a "religion" (Scientology) whose goal is to discredit psychiatry. So when someone tries to make you feel bad you can always think to yourself: At least I don't have it as bad as that poor sap. He is going through eight years of post graduate studies just so he can make less than me, get slammed in the media, and people won't even think he's a real doctor. :(

hahaha... there is so much truth in this thread.

what about the look i get when i tell people i'm predental (as though i'm the first ever predental student they've encountered) "oh, you're predental, ok." and then without fail the immediate follow up question: "so how long is that?" "it's 4 years" "ohhh, just like medical school... you're better off as a dentist, the insurance is better."

i can't tell you how many times i've had that conversation.

But what bothers me the most is when I say I am going to dental school and people say something like "Which CC are you attending for dental hygiene?" Because I am a woman, they instantly assume that I am going to be a hygienist! Now I feel like I always have to say "I am going to dental school to be a dentist" or I make some reference to where I will practice dentistry after I graduate.

I know exactly what you mean. I really hate being asked if I'm in hygeine school. The guys in my class know it and give me crap all of the time (lovingly of course).

There may very well be cases like yours but dont try to make your self feel better by assuming everyone who went dental did if for the same reason(s) you did. Heck, I was prehealth for a while between med/phar/and dent and although I went dentistry, I still apprecaite med and phar, and if I didnt go dentistry, I might have tried med or phar because they are great areas too. By the way, the Mcat and Dat are related to eachother is some sections but they are very different in others. Its very hard to compare them to eachother but since you mentioned it, I thought it would be nice to share with you the fact that one of my classmates got a 18 AA on the DAT and a 37 on the Mcat. I bet the opposite also exists and my point isnt to say one is harder then the other but to say they are different and so is each person who takes them.

do you think ob/gyns get the "how disgusting" thing? I don't.

Just remember, very few people go to the doctor when everything is in working order. I've heard some very nasty stories from friends during the ob/gyn rotation.. :laugh::laugh:

People wont say it to me directly, but they'll say it to my gf...so he couldn't get into med school...something along those lines. Yea I would like to work as a general practioner, work more hours and make less money.:p

Personally I was never interested in medicine. At all. Dentists get to accomplish and do stuff. Not prescribe a medicine, send the patient off, and hope the problem goes away.

AMEN to that!!!

-ck

I was in for my dental school physical last week, and the doc asked me if my family had any history of psychiatric illness or suicides. I mentioned, joking, that the only psychiatric illness I knew about was that there were 3 generations of dentists before me. Then I got the lecture about the suicide stats.

I'll have you all know I took the high road, and killed him instead of myself :thumbup:

careful...those who havent turned their sacrcasm detector on yet might call the FBI for that...

*KNOCKKNOCK"
armorshell - "Who's there?"
partyvan - "IT'S THE SDN PARTY VAN!!! YOU ARE A WINNER!!!"
armorshell - "NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!" *opens door*
FBI - "J/k it's the FBI"