NextStep Strategy and Practice books - opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entresuspiros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought and used these resources to prepare for the new exam? I've searched the forum and have only found a few comments from people who have bought them but not used them yet.

I'm curious to read others' opinions about these. I used most of the old MCAT material already (was going to take it in January but had to pull out due to illness) and figured unused material would serve me better. However, the wording and passage structure on the first two Bio/Biochem sections made me question whether it would be better to go through old material instead and save some money, since it's been at least 4 months since I've looked at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be nice if these MCAT prep companies gave some sort of preview on Amazon of a passage or two. I'd guess most people would like to know what they are getting before dishing out $30-$300.

It would be nice if these MCAT prep companies gave some sort of preview on Amazon of a passage or two. I'd guess most people would like to know what they are getting before dishing out $30-$300.

They have a free diagnostic which gives you an idea of what the strategy books will be like, but I agree. I assume that the lack of answers means most people are reluctant to try it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good practice. I much prefer their S&P books than their less-than-par content books.
I have their Psych and Biochem S&P.

i just started the bio/biochem strategy and practice. i don't like their strategy recommendation, which is basically to highlight every word that is an mcat topic. in regards to the practice, it is good. sometimes they are vague with the answer explanations, which can be frustrating. all in all, i'm in favor of them and will continue to use.

Reactions: 1 user
i just started the bio/biochem strategy and practice. i don't like their strategy recommendation, which is basically to highlight every word that is an mcat topic. in regards to the practice, it is good. sometimes they are vague with the answer explanations, which can be frustrating. all in all, i'm in favor of them and will continue to use.

What did you think of the bio passages themselves? I thought some paragraphs and passage questions/choices were worded strangely, which made it more difficult to understand what they were looking for and choose the correct answer. However, this may be because I am unfamiliar with their style.

Last edited:
@entresuspiros i feel the same way. some of the passages and answer choices left me scratching my head. i also purchased TNS CARS SP and feel the same way about it.

I felt like the BIO and Physics/Chem books were very difficult to read, and the questions were at times very difficult to answer.

I found them overall, overly difficult, with quite a few ridiculous questions.

I actually liked their Bio book the most, a lot of experiment design questions.

Their PS book had a whole passage dedicated to MO theory which isn't tested on the MCAT. Not a fan.

Didn't try their Psych, but TPR had a good Psych practice imo.