NHSC and psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintchocolatechips9090

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello -

So I'm finishing up my first year, and the more I think about what field I want to go into, the more I think that psych is right for me. I've also been thinking more and more about the NHSC scholarship since psych is part of the acceptable primary care residencies accepted under the scholarship. I'm getting worried about the amount of loans I'm accumulating (likely 300k by the time I graduate if I don't receive some scholarship).

What are the thoughts on applying for the scholarship in my situation?

Here are my concerns with applying:
1.) Should I have any concerns at all about matching psych as a DO?
ex. I cannot see myself going into family med to fulfill the requirement, but maybe yes to internal
2.) Will I have limitations on where I may end up for residency?
ex. If I have a particular state in mind of where I want to end up and practice
3.) Obviously I haven't rotated through psych yet!
-it's really the only field I can see myself in, but what if I have an awful experience with it?

What are the thoughts and what are some other drawbacks might I face if I choose to apply?
Does anyone foresee better options for tackling the amount of debt I'll accumulate than the NHSC scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar questions. I don't think there is great NHSC support on SDN with regards to psych. For instance, where are the likely placement locations and starting salaries for shortage sites?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I agree. I haven't been able to find much either.

It's rather frustrating and the NHSC thread isn't too active. I tried to ask about salaries in the thread once and it seems like a taboo topic for some reason. It sounds like you should definitely expect a lower salary in a shortage facility, but I'm not sure how much lower. Those who commented did so in regards to IM. For instance, I would not find the scholarship worth it to take if I was going to make >50-70k less every year. I imagine there are physicians (psychiatrists) working through the NHSC who are around 150k a year but that is purely speculation based on the other fields. I wish I had some sense of the expected range but I have zero clue. Maybe you should make a specific psych thread on the NHSC sub forum.

I just matched an ACGME psychiatry residency this year. 10 acgme interview invites. Psych is very open to DOs, but be the best candidate you can be, because some day down the road you'll have a certain place you want to go to. And matching specific places is where it gets challenging, even with auditions.

I have >300k in debt. At times i wish i did that scholarship, but right now psychiatrists make pretty good money so i won't fret on it. And i honestly have no idea where you get sent to but I'm guessing its somewhere not super desirable.

Reactions: 1 users
Type a zip code on this site and it'll give the NHSC sites in that area.
Bureau of Primary Health Care

This link give examples on pay. https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/currentmember...ents/faqs/participantsalaryreferenceguide.pdf

As far as I recall, you are responsible for finding a location and getting the position. So it's possible to stay in an specific geographical area as long as there are NHSC sites and they have spots available.

I think that as a NHSC recipient you can choose to get a commissioned with the U.S Public Health Service (USPHS.gov) and the pay will be significantly higher as you'll be pay at the rate of O-3 (LT) or O-4 (LCDR) plus specialty pay ~17k/yr

Last edited:
Hello -

So I'm finishing up my first year, and the more I think about what field I want to go into, the more I think that psych is right for me. I've also been thinking more and more about the NHSC scholarship since psych is part of the acceptable primary care residencies accepted under the scholarship. I'm getting worried about the amount of loans I'm accumulating (likely 300k by the time I graduate if I don't receive some scholarship).

What are the thoughts on applying for the scholarship in my situation?

ex. I cannot see myself going into family med to fulfill the requirement, but maybe yes to internal
-it's really the only field I can see myself in, but what if I have an awful experience with it?

What are the thoughts and what are some other drawbacks might I face if I choose to apply?
Does anyone foresee better options for tackling the amount of debt I'll accumulate than the NHSC scholarship?

I read on here that a lot of psych NHSC positions are in prison systems. You'd be better off in just working hard and living like a resident your first years out

I have similar questions. I don't think there is great NHSC support on SDN with regards to psych. For instance, where are the likely placement locations and starting salaries for shortage sites?

Gulag, ghetto, desert, tundra or reservation. Paid in peanuts, biweekly. Stick to private practice where the avg seems 250k plus or minus, 400k possible if you work 60+.

Gulag, ghetto, desert, tundra or reservation. Paid in peanuts, biweekly. Stick to private practice where the avg seems 250k plus or minus, 400k possible if you work 60+.

That's what I was expecting. Do you heard of the average salary estimate?

DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT apply for that scholarship.

One of my best friends and mentors joined (psych) and his life is an absolute ****show. He works in a prison (the only place he did not want to work).

From what he has told me, I learned the following: 1. Once they find out you are in NHSC, they can dog you on pay. 2. As a psych, they can hire a psych NP instead...so your ability to 'negotiate' a salary is DOA. 3. Most years, NHSC loan forgiveness applicants are favored over NHSC scholars (scholars end up getting the worst sites, somehow). 4. There is a complete lack of transparency, organization, and communication. 5. The rules change yearly (what you sign up for today will not be what you end up with).

He told me that he had joined because if he didn't, he would have been over 600k in loans after residency (including interest). After he heard about a psych res classmate with similar debt sign up for IBR and earn a position that offered $50K signing bonus, loan repayment, and a salary over $80K/year more than he was earning for LESS work in a cush setting...he wanted to jump off of a bridge.

There will always be ways to repay/manage your debt while living a comfortable lifestyle. Don't sign up for this thinking it will make your life easier...there is always a pound of flesh involved, no matter what!

People seem to forget the value of freedom. Don't do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To answer your questions specifically:
1. No.
2. As an NHSC scholar, you are free to choose any primary care residency that you wish.
3. If you have an awful experience, your other choices are IM, Peds, OB, and Family.

In regard to your debt, IBR (+pslf) + find a job with loan repayment. People say not to count on these plans being around forever, but I don't think the government has any other choice. Plan on living without 15% of your income and live a life well above the national mean.

DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT apply for that scholarship.

One of my best friends and mentors joined (psych) and his life is an absolute ****show. He works in a prison (the only place he did not want to work).

From what he has told me, I learned the following: 1. Once they find out you are in NHSC, they can dog you on pay. 2. As a psych, they can hire a psych NP instead...so your ability to 'negotiate' a salary is DOA. 3. Most years, NHSC loan forgiveness applicants are favored over NHSC scholars (scholars end up getting the worst sites, somehow). 4. There is a complete lack of transparency, organization, and communication. 5. The rules change yearly (what you sign up for today will not be what you end up with).

He told me that he had joined because if he didn't, he would have been over 600k in loans after residency (including interest). After he heard about a psych res classmate with similar debt sign up for IBR and earn a position that offered $50K signing bonus, loan repayment, and a salary over $80K/year more than he was earning for LESS work in a cush setting...he wanted to jump off of a bridge.

There will always be ways to repay/manage your debt while living a comfortable lifestyle. Don't sign up for this thinking it will make your life easier...there is always a pound of flesh involved, no matter what!

People seem to forget the value of freedom. Don't do that.

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate your experience. Best of wishes to your friend. I am very sorry to hear of their poor experience.

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate your experience. Best of wishes to your friend. I am very sorry to hear of their poor experience.

No problem. The scholarship (if you can even call it that...it's really a contract) also creates problems when spouses and children enter into the picture. Rural/underserved area? Possibility of poor schools, awful social life, boredom, etc. Urban/underserved? Possibility of poor schools, violence, etc. When taking this scholarship, you could be making future family members miserable. Just something to keep in mind, as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello -

So I'm finishing up my first year, and the more I think about what field I want to go into, the more I think that psych is right for me. I've also been thinking more and more about the NHSC scholarship

Psychiatry is very much in demand. There are plenty of DOs good residencies (but apply broadly, including many mid-western states).
Do NOT do NHSC, I repeat do NOT do NHSC. It always boggles my mind why people fall for this crappy program.
Psychiatry pays well. You have many jobs that are PSLF eligible. You have many jobs that have loan repayment built in. For example VA offers $120k loan forgiveness (spread over 5years). A state hospital I know offers $20k/yr in loan forgiveness. This is on top of strong salaries/good retirement plans/good benefits in these jobs. You can also work in the VA and have a job on the side (for example on weekends or evenings to bring even higher salary).

Again, you don't need NHSC to successfully pay off your debt as a psychiatrist. This field is in such demand that you have your pick of nice towns/cities to live in and still take advantage of many loan forgiveness programs.

Again do NOT do NHSC (this goes to non-psych med students as well).

Psychiatry is very much in demand. There are plenty of DOs good residencies (but apply broadly, including many mid-western states).
Do NOT do NHSC, I repeat do NOT do NHSC. It always boggles my mind why people fall for this crappy program.
Psychiatry pays well. You have many jobs that are PSLF eligible. You have many jobs that have loan repayment built in. For example VA offers $120k loan forgiveness (spread over 5years). A state hospital I know offers $20k/yr in loan forgiveness. This is on top of strong salaries/good retirement plans/good benefits in these jobs. You can also work in the VA and have a job on the side (for example on weekends or evenings to bring even higher salary).

Again, you don't need NHSC to successfully pay off your debt as a psychiatrist. This field is in such demand that you have your pick of nice towns/cities to live in and still take advantage of many loan forgiveness programs.

Again do NOT do NHSC (this goes to non-psych med students as well).
Preach!