NHSC and Specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all just a quick Q,

Is the NHSC scholarship a good idea for people who want to specialize. I am under the impression that you must work first immediately after you grad before you can apply for a speciality program. But if this is the case would that dramatically lower your chances of specializing considering the best time to apply is prob right after you grad dental school?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to specialize in pedo you can do that before your work commitment to the NHSC. Other than that you do have to work first and then apply to specialty programs but I know people that are doing that. I am not really sure if it hurts your chances to work a couple years first. It seems like it would actually be a good thing to have work experience.

Is there anyone who has the scholarship and is planning on specializing who can shed some more light on this topic?

Im not sure about all specialities, but at least for endo you nearly HAVE to have work experience to get accepted to an endo program from what I have heard(and obviously there are going to be exceptions). So the experience would obviously be a good thing. And it is probably looked upon favorabley by many programs.