NHSC Loan Repayment - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Information Underload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else applying for loan repayment for 2015? I submitted mine and am anxiously awaiting word, though I understand that this could take quite some time--well into the summer and at the latest in September 2015. I'm a psychiatrist working at a site with a HPSA score of 17 and from a disadvantaged background.

I have heard that last year that they went down into the 14s with available award money. They have cut back on the amount of money awarded, so perhaps they will have more loan repayment slots available this year?

Good luck, everyone, and God bless!

Members don't see this ad.

I am working in an area that has one of the highest ratings in the state and applied last year - I was accepted in July and got payment in October. The government isn't really known for speed - unless you owe them money.

Reactions: 1 user
As a FYI, I received an email noting that I am a finalist. There is no guarantee that I receive the reward, and they are simply verifying at this point. As above, my specialty site score was a 17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received notice that they will be receiving the loan repayment award? My site is a 14 so I am wondering if there will be enough money to give awards to the 14s this year?

They have gotten to sites with scores of 18, for this year. My daughter got an email yesterday, saying she had qualified and needed to reply.

To add to the above, I will be receiving the reward this year with a HPSA score of 17. No money in the bank, yet, but it's on the way at some point.

Working at score 14 HPSA site. Have not heard anything back. I called to inquire about the status and asked directly whether not having heard anything means that you likely didn't get an award. Was told that time of notification is more dependent on your auditor--apparently each auditor gets a pile of apps, and people are informed, yea or nay, when the person is done. They had no feedback about rate of acceptance or how many would be funded this year. Very nice, FWIW.

14 is so borderline, and I know that nothing below 16 was funded a couple of years ago. So, not getting my hopes up. But the wait is awful.

Anyone hear anything more?

Got my acceptance e-mail today. score is 16. GL.

Still "under review." When I called to inquire, was told that they give money "right up until the last minute." In most of the posts I've seen from previous years, they inform much earlier in the year if people got money. Don't understand why they're waiting so long for what is almost certainly a denial.

Anyone with HPSA 14 heard anything? Thread has been very quiet.

My site is a 14 and I have not heard anything and neither has the other employee that applied from my site as well. I was thinking I would have heard by now if I had gotten it.

I am still in residency- Is there a directory of sites and openings with corresponding hpsa scores? Do these sites generally pay less on average?

Are chances of being awarded based purely on the HPSA score?

Is it $50 per year or for two years?
Why are some people saying the government will pay $120k in two years?

Last edited:
I got my denial email today. My site was a 14.

Actual payment came through for my daughter yesterday. There's quite a bit of time between approval, then signing papers, and actually seeing the deposit in the bank. But it's nice when it happens,, for sure!

Actual payment came through for my daughter yesterday. There's quite a bit of time between approval, then signing papers, and actually seeing the deposit in the bank. But it's nice when it happens,, for sure!

Yes, there's definitely quite a delay. I remember wondering if they had forgotten about me. But you're also right - that big chunk of money is definitely quite nice as well. :)

Yes, there's definitely quite a delay. I remember wondering if they had forgotten about me. But you're also right - that big chunk of money is definitely quite nice as well. :)

The site suggests there is a 90 day wait. Mine was only a few days less than this.