NHSC Loan Repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlovaj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'll be a d1 this year and wanted to see what the opinions are for the NHSC Loan Repayment programs. I have read opinions saying those working in private practice are better in the long run than those in the NHSC LRP is this true? Wanted to hear from those with exp.

Also, if the LRP is an option why would someone take the LRP (50k - 2 year) vs the Students to Service LRP(120k over 3years)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My personal opinion is that recent-ish grads (0-10 years out) going into private practice will take much longer time to pay off their loans than those working through NHSC loan repayment options. Dentists who are already in private practice and have been for the past 20-30 years are in a much different situation and we cannot compare ourselves to them.
As of right now it is difficult if not impossible to get hired full time as an associate (I'm speaking for California). You will need 2-3 part time jobs working 5-7 days a week to make a salary that will pay your bills, and you will get no benefits.
What's nice about working full time for the NHSC is you get loan repayment, benefits, a salary, and you have a full time job. That's an impossible to rare find.
If you aren't in any debt after dental school, or plan to take over a family business, then again this wouldn't apply to you.

The difference between LRP and S22 is that LRP is applied for once you are working full-time at an NHSC approved site and S2S you apply for as a D4 student. Technically S2S pays more per year but you also have to commit early and be chosen for the award, which is very competitive. The third option is the scholarship which is applied for the summer before you start dental school or each summer before dental school for 2-4 years of funding. Those are extremely competitive as well.

Reactions: 1 users
The difference between LRP and S22 is that LRP is applied for once you are working full-time at an NHSC approved site and S2S you apply for as a D4 student. Technically S2S pays more per year but you also have to commit early and be chosen for the award, which is very competitive. The third option is the scholarship which is applied for the summer before you start dental school or each summer before dental school for 2-4 years of funding. Those are extremely competitive as well.

Thanks! I didn't realize the S2S was also very competitive. Was hoping it was more of an apply and automatically get it type scenario but I guess if that were the case everyone would apply for it.

I have been working at a FQHC/native American clinic for the past 4 years. I have gone through one round of NHSC loan repayment and am currently doing one round of loan repayment through the IHS. I have also worked as an associate in private practice. I can say, without a doubt, that for me, at this stage in my life with two young children, community health is the right fit. I go to work, see a bunch of pts, get a regular paycheck, a plethora of benefits and don't have to worry about anything. Like I said, this is the right fit for me. If I was not married, didn't have kids etc... Than hustling in a private practice trying to make that cash money might be better. It's all personal preference and what stage you're at in life

Reactions: 3 users