NHSC: non-URM growing up in an affluent city a disadvantage???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I've been scouring through some old threads and noticed that NHSC shows preference toward those with URM status and/or growing up in a small town.

Obviously not under my control (I didn't choose to be born lol) but grew up comfortably in an affluent suburb, never skipped a meal, my hometown is not diverse, and I'm considered a "model minority." (I put this in quotes because that egregious notion is preventing aid for other Asians who are REALLY in need. Anyway....)

Despite that, I've racked up tons of community service hours in high school and in undergrad. Just with undergrad hours alone, I've racked up 1000+ community service hours and served leadership positions in public housing projects, volunteered at homeless shelters, and mentored predominantly Hispanic inner city children using very limited Spanish (I'm still really bad at speaking Spanish, but I made it work).

Despite coming from a "privileged" background, will having a huge heart for the underserved and having the hours, commitment, and leadership positions be enough to get my foot through the door? Or will I simply be passed onto a hypothetical applicant with, let's say, 100 hours of non-leadership community service and grew up in foster homes in 15 different states?

Ideally, input from non-URM NHSC scholars highly appreciated! But any example of a friend/classmate who got in under "privileged" circumstances also appreciated.

EDIT: I also want to add that ASDOH accepted me based on my commitment toward serving the community, but UNE seems to have passed me for someone else because I was too much of an urbanite. So I'm not sure how that correlates to my chances for NHSC....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply and hope for the best.
I do not think anyone should expect you to be apologetic for growing up in a good situation. Sounds like your folks worked hard, made good values a priority, and you recognize the situation you are in.
Thank you for your contributions to your community and your maturity!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all

I've been scouring through some old threads and noticed that NHSC shows preference toward those with URM status and/or growing up in a small town.

Obviously not under my control (I didn't choose to be born lol) but grew up comfortably in an affluent suburb, never skipped a meal, my hometown is not diverse, and I'm considered a "model minority." (I put this in quotes because that egregious notion is preventing aid for other Asians who are REALLY in need. Anyway....)

Despite that, I've racked up tons of community service hours in high school and in undergrad. Just with undergrad hours alone, I've racked up 1000+ community service hours and served leadership positions in public housing projects, volunteered at homeless shelters, and mentored predominantly Hispanic inner city children using very limited Spanish (I'm still really bad at speaking Spanish, but I made it work).

Despite coming from a "privileged" background, will having a huge heart for the underserved and having the hours, commitment, and leadership positions be enough to get my foot through the door? Or will I simply be passed onto a hypothetical applicant with, let's say, 100 hours of non-leadership community service and grew up in foster homes in 15 different states?

Ideally, input from non-URM NHSC scholars highly appreciated! But any example of a friend/classmate who got in under "privileged" circumstances also appreciated.

EDIT: I also want to add that ASDOH accepted me based on my commitment toward serving the community, but UNE seems to have passed me for someone else because I was too much of an urbanite. So I'm not sure how that correlates to my chances for NHSC....

What ales you think UNE passed on you because you're an urbanite? You sure they didn't pass on you because your head is up your own nether regions?

Unless you're disadvantaged of some kind (financially, socially) then you may be better off applying for the HPSP. For what it is, everyone I know who has received the scholarship are from disadvantaged backgrounds.

What ales you think UNE passed on you because you're an urbanite? You sure they didn't pass on you because your head is up your own nether regions?
uploadfromtaptalk1486574268245.jpg

Reactions: 1 users