NHSC Scholarship 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexierae494

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for anyone applying for this scholarship! The application opened today, and I know we may all want some advice and help with the application and application process!

Has anyone heard any helpful hints for the application??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I was considering it, but I am not completely set on primary care. It seems like a great opportunity. I may apply for it in later years.

Me too, i am still debating whether or not applying now since I dont know if I am interested in any other specialties beside primary care. However, thinking about the debt after graduation makes me want to apply hahaha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering it, and I think it's a good match for DO students specifically. From what I've seen there's a good number of threads on here about it already, but I'm not sure how up to date the information is. I like that it includes psychiatry as primary care, but I think it's reasonable for people to worry about if they may find themselves liking other fields better. It's definitely true you don't know until you've tried it. We'll see. I'll post something if I end up applying.

This is something that I'm very interested in, but I just can't bring myself to apply since I don't feel confident that my interests won't change throughout medical school...

This is something that I'm very interested in, but I just can't bring myself to apply since I don't feel confident that my interests won't change throughout medical school...
That's what kept me out

The program is great for those that absolutely cannot see themselves doing anything else but primary care. However, it's a good idea to read the entire handbook prior to applying, especially the part about reimbursing the government if you fail to meet the requirements of the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Failure to begin or complete the service obligation or failure to meet the terms and conditions of deferment or postponing the service obligation for postgraduate training Scholars who for any reason fail to comply with the terms and conditions of deferring or postponing the service obligation for postgraduate training (including physicians who fail to complete an approved residency in an NHSC-approved specialty) or who for any reason fail to begin or complete their service obligations after completion of training, will be in breach of their scholarship obligations. When scholars default for these reasons, the United States shall be entitled to recover damages equal to three times the scholarship award plus interest in accordance with the formula:

A = 3 Ø (t-s) t

In which:“A” = is the amount the United States is entitled to recover,“Ø” = is the sum of the amounts paid to, or on behalf of, the scholar and the interest on such amounts which would be payable if, at the time the amounts were paid, they were loans bearing interest at the maximum legal prevailing rate, as determined by the Treasurer of the United States,“t” = is the total number of months in the scholar’s period of obligated service, and “s” = is the number of months of the period of obligated service served by the scholar.

The damages which the United States is entitled to recover shall be paid within 1 year of the date of default.Note: For scholars who received a waiver to serve half-time, the period of obligated service (“t”) and service performed (“s”) will be converted into their full-time equivalents.

Edit: formatting issues

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some scary shizz....

Yeaa even though I am very much considering primary care. I would rather just graduate residency and do some locums work for 2 or 3 years (in locations of my own choosing) and work my butt off to get debt down than sign up for something as constricting as that. That 3x payback cost if you break contract is insane, thats "go to jail" kind of money.

That is some scary shizz....

Yeaa even though I am very much considering primary care. I would rather just graduate residency and do some locums work for 2 or 3 years (in locations of my own choosing) and work my butt off to get debt down than sign up for something as constricting as that. That 3x payback cost if you break contract is insane, thats "go to jail" kind of money.

One of the main reasons I posted it. But, the application does a good job "warning" applicants prior to filling it out. Definitely a good source of money if dedicated to primary care. But the stipend is about half of what you get from HPSP/MDSSP.

One of the main reasons I posted it. But, the application does a good job "warning" applicants prior to filling it out. Definitely a good source of money if dedicated to primary care. But the stipend is about half of what you get from HPSP/MDSSP.
Hmm I dont know how, and to my own shock here, but I have never heard of MDSSP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having a hard time understanding the difference between this and the HSPS besides the national guard thing. Seems like HSPS is better overall but with the national guard one you aren't deployed as much? I am generally confused by it.

I am having a hard time understanding the difference between this and the HSPS besides the national guard thing. Seems like HSPS is better overall but with the national guard one you aren't deployed as much? I am generally confused by it.

MDSSP means you would be on the National Guard in the reserves it seems like, and 8 years. I think they might not outright pay for your medical education like they do with HPSP, but they do pay for board exams and they pay for up to a certain amount of the loans for med school after graduation. HPSP is active duty service of 4 years.

I can let you know more once I hear from the recruiter I just emailed for the MDSSP program. My boyfriend just committed to the HPSP program, so that one I'm more sure on.

Like others here, I considered the option, but do not want to commit to a path under such a large penalty so early on.

Hey everyone! I was considering applying for this scholarship and was wondering if anyone knows if there is anyway interfolio can be used to send in the required letters?

For those who have already started the application, is it 2500 characters for each essay including spaces or without spaces? Also, for the disadvantaged verification letter is that something your undergrad institution would fill out? I will be starting dental school in the fall and am asking this question because some of the criteria for disadvantaged status include graduating from an underserved high school (would my high school fill it out?)

Hey Tooth, have the dental school you got into fill out the paperwork for the disadvantaged status as I'm doing right now. And I believe it's 2500 with spaces.

I'm gonna jump in on this thread for the updates. Would be awesome to receive this scholarship

Yes I am enrolling into dental school in the fall as well. This scholarship would be perfect for me! I would love to see all the tips as well.

I have started asking my school to fill out the forms as well.

Some posts from previous years mentioned the nhsc scholarship is taxable and the scholars need to set aside money every year to pay tax. I always thought fin aid scholarships are not taxed as long as they are used for educational benefits.Can someone corroborate on this?

Some posts from previous years mentioned the nhsc scholarship is taxable and the scholars need to set aside money every year to pay tax. I always thought fin aid scholarships are not taxed as long as they are used for educational benefits.Can someone corroborate on this?

The stipend is taxed, the tuition that they pay is not.

I heard from a friend that this application is rolling...? I thought they don't look at them until everyone submits in May?

Does anybody here know the timeline on the application (like what should I expect after I click submit and all that)? Thank you!

It takes forever for the school officials to provide the supporting documents. The struggle is real! Haha

I am not from a disadvantaged background and I don't qualify for exceptional financial need status. Should I even bother applying? Has anyone heard of someone getting the scholarship that wasn't placed in one of those categories?

I am not from a disadvantaged background and I don't qualify for exceptional financial need status. Should I even bother applying? Has anyone heard of someone getting the scholarship that wasn't placed in one of those categories?

I'm wondering the same thing!

I definitely don't qualify for either a disadvantaged background or exceptional financial need and I received the scholarship last year. At the time I was applying I was finishing up my first year of medical school and had shown quite a commitment to underserved populations (Probably close to 60 hours volunteering in free clinics and on mission trips in my first year), which I think helped a lot. Just get your application in, and let the NHSC decide if they want to give it to you! You can't get the scholarship if you don't apply!

Does anybody here know the timeline on the application (like what should I expect after I click submit and all that)? Thank you!

I believe they contacted me sometime in August last year to ask me if I wanted to accept the scholarship (I was not in the first round that they offered it too. I think they began offering in July) and you had a week to sign the contract and accept. After you signed, there was some lag time (Maybe of like two weeks or so? I can't remember exactly) and then the NHSC (Technically I think the HRSA) countersigned your contract. At that point you have an official commitment. Stipends started getting paid in October, with the first stipend including your ORC once yearly payment and back payment of stipends until July I believe.

I am not from a disadvantaged background either. I got the scholarship for my last 2 years of medical school.

I believe they contacted me sometime in August last year to ask me if I wanted to accept the scholarship (I was not in the first round that they offered it too. I think they began offering in July) and you had a week to sign the contract and accept. After you signed, there was some lag time (Maybe of like two weeks or so? I can't remember exactly) and then the NHSC (Technically I think the HRSA) countersigned your contract. At that point you have an official commitment. Stipends started getting paid in October, with the first stipend including your ORC once yearly payment and back payment of stipends until July I believe.
Will they notify the applicants by phone, email, or airmail? And how do the applicants reply and send the signed contract if accepted? I might go abroad this summer, so phone and airmail won't be available. Should I notify them before I leave just in case?

Does anyone have the essay prompts? I am waiting for to get the OK from my letter writers and it won't let me advance to the next screen without having "sent my letter requests." I want to get a jump start on writing the essays in case my proposed letter writers take a few days getting back to me.

Does anyone have the essay prompts? I am waiting for to get the OK from my letter writers and it won't let me advance to the next screen without having "sent my letter requests." I want to get a jump start on writing the essays in case my proposed letter writers take a few days getting back to me.

1. Essays. Applicants are required to respond to the following three essay questions. Responses to essays must be uploaded as three separate documents, one document per essay. Each response should be limited to 2,500 characters or less (about a half of a page).
    • Essay 1: How will you contribute to the mission of the National Health Service Corps in providing care to underserved communities?

• Essay 2: What experiences have you had or activities have you participated in that have prepared you to work with underserved populations?

• Essay 3: Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in primary health care.

Are you guys including shadowing experience on your CVs? I took it out after my acceptance to dental school. I think it's obvious you've shadowed if you're going into a health professional school?

Will they notify the applicants by phone, email, or airmail? And how do the applicants reply and send the signed contract if accepted? I might go abroad this summer, so phone and airmail won't be available. Should I notify them before I leave just in case?

They notify by email. Applicants reply and send the signed contract via the portal if I remember correctly (I don't think you actually sign anything, it's just an electronic signature).

I don't ever think it hurts to notify someone that you'll be out of the country and only able to be reached via email. That way if there is any issues (there were a few last summer with the portal being funky), they'll know how to get ahold of you.

I considering applying to this for dental school. Can someone please clarify this for me. If I receive 4yrs worth of scholarship, will I have to serve 2 or 4yrs in an underserved area as repayment?

I am an NHSC scholar
Just wanted to give you guys my input and it revolves around two things - Money v/s Freedom of Choice. ( this is of course making the assumption that you've all joined your respective schools because you genuinely want to take care of people - underserved or not - hence I am not going to dwell into the nobleness of serving in an underserved area)

A. Money - the reality is med school /dental school debt is crushing, especially if you're attending D.O schools. the cost of attendance at my school averages around 80k all 4 years. if you're doing a 3 year residency where you're making 50k most likely you'll have to put your loans on forbearance. so after residency you're looking between the ball park of 400 to 450k in loans. While that may not look like a lot - it really is. http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/04/real-life-medical-school-debt.html. NHSC does allow you to save a ton of money in the long run and being debt free is something extremely liberating.

B. Freedom of Choice (to choose your specialty and where you want to live after)
This is huge and a lot of people underestimate it.
While I love IM, Peds and Psychiatry, Neurology holds a special place in my heart. I can assure you when you've worked your butt off in med school and realizing that you don't have an option to choose when all your friends are choosing what they want to do isn't a pretty feeling. And here is the thing, with some exceptions, you won't know what you really really want to do until you've rotated through your 3rd year. And when you're finally done with med school and residency your priorities might have changed and would not want to live in underserved areas and put your life on hold (I grew up in a rural area - so I don't mind at all - but I'm not sure my future SO would be too keen to do so).

For me personally, the nobleness of providing care where it is needed while not being in 450k in debt while doing so gave way to the freedom to choose. (Luckily, I've come to enjoy Psychiatry a lot lot more once I decided that's where I am going to go)

What my life experience have taught me is this: be practical and find out what your priorities are. we all have to make sacrifices somewhere, and once you've made a decision be at peace with it. and consciously try to see past our natural propensity to see the grass greener on the other side.

Also if you're going to dental school - DEFINITELY TAKE THE SCHOLARSHIP! Unless you're going to be in the top 5% of your class, it is unlikely that you'll specialize. and 4 years living in a rural area, in my opinion, is definitely worth it when it comes to graduating with no loans.

Reactions: 6 users
I considering applying to this for dental school. Can someone please clarify this for me. If I receive 4yrs worth of scholarship, will I have to serve 2 or 4yrs in an underserved area as repayment?

4. you'll have to serve at least 2 years ( even if you took the scholarship just for one year). After that you have to serve every year you've taken the scholarship eg. 3 years of scholarship - 3 years of service.

And now...we wait.

@Neuro111
1) Any idea when we will find out if we have received the scholarship?
2) How important is it to be from a disadvantaged background?

How do we check on the status of our application? I can't figure out how to log in and check on it.

I believe won't be hearing back until July to see who the finalists are from the other threads.

Can anyone clarify what this scholarship pays for? Or, how much of your loans can be eliminated? Maybe I'm reading something wrong but 50k doesn't seem like a great deal for 2 years.