NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who got an email!
I haven't gotten one yet, and I'm wondering if they send the emails out all near similar times or if they're mostly mass sent?

Wow, I answered my own question...
I got the finalist email at 10am, which means they're still sending out emails! I'm an incoming dental student (D1), so I'm assuming they're sending dental students scholarship emails first!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Im in the middle of class right now so I havent been able to work on it, but does anyone know what all they need us to do after we get the finalist email?

Med students, check your NHSC portal! Haven't received the email yet, but my portal says I'm a finalist!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the middle of class right now so I havent been able to work on it, but does anyone know what all they need us to do after we get the finalist email?

The email has a link to the NHSC application portal where it will ask you to answer whether you are still interested in accepting the award offer.
Once you indicate that you are, three things pop up: 1) Banking information (bank name, account and routing numbers) 2) Upload 2017 W-4 form 3) Upload a 2017 Enrollment Verification Form
And I believe that's all that they want from you!
To those who have received the email, I've never heard of a W-4 >< I did not work during this year, so I assume that I leave the "Employer" section blank?

Reactions: 1 user

Banking information, W4, enrollment verification form

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Finalist on portal!!!!

Edit: OMS1 here

Last edited:
Med students, check your NHSC portal! Haven't received the email yet, but my portal says I'm a finalist!
Whelp not here sadly. Second and final year applicant. I was really hopeful this year being disadvantaged and many activities showing my desire for rural family medicine. Congratulations though!

NHSC Scholarship Program Application.png

Reactions: 6 users
Finalist email at 6AM PST !!!! :soexcited:

incoming D1

Last edited:
Anyone know what to write for the graduation date or last date of class?
What if we don't know our graduation date? Should the school estimate? And what about last date of class? Is that for our last date of class for this semester, this year, or our final date of class before graduation?

Any help would be awesome

Members don't see this ad :)
Finalist at 10am!!

Edit for @BaxterPet : DDS applicant

Last edited:
I got the finalist email at exactly 10:00 AM CST 08/04/2017!!!!!!

EDIT:

2nd year applicant
2nd year dental student
3 years of Aid
Disadvantaged Background
3.98 GPA Undergraduate
4.00 GPA Dental School
CREDCO credit check on 06/08/2017 through EquiFax

Last edited:
Anyone know what to write for the graduation date or last date of class?
What if we don't know our graduation date? Should the school estimate? And what about last date of class? Is that for our last date of class for this semester, this year, or our final date of class before graduation?

Any help would be awesome

Hi, is that for the Enrollment Verification form? If so, I was actually going to fill out the top part and ask my school official to fill out the dates!

Hi, is that for the Enrollment Verification form? If so, I was actually going to fill out the top part and ask my school official to fill out the dates!

Yes, the enrollment verification. My financial aid office has never done the paperwork for NHSC, so they were asking me these questions, not the other way around. I was hoping a past scholar could help me out, or someone who's school knows

FINALIST EMAIL AT 8:00AM!!

Incoming D1
Applied for 4 years of funding

Last edited:
To those that have been emailed as finalists, have you guys filed a W4 form for 2017? Or are you guys filling out the blank form and uploading it?
I haven't worked in 2017, and thus haven't filed a W4 for this year. Called NHSC twice to ask what I should do, and kinda received vague answers so I was wondering what others are doing!

Nothing here. Edit: 2nd year Med student, applying for this scholarship for the second time. Got credit checked both years. Portal still says "under review"... bummed, yet again. Happy for those who did get emails though. Also hate to burst bubbles but to be a realist: last year, if you didn't get Finalist status in the first round of emails, your chances of getting that email later on are very low. :-/ Everyone who gets a finalist email accepts, outside of maybe 2-3 stragglers. But on a positive note, medicine and dentistry are very lucrative careers... we will all be fine financially in the end! Thank goodness for federal loans :)

Last edited:
Just curious: for med students who are finalists-- what year of school are you guys in?
-M1 who didn't get it

Received a finalist email at 8:30am. I am starting my second year of medical school, so M2. Good luck to everyone!

Just curious: for med students who are finalists-- what year of school are you guys in?
-M1 who didn't get it

I'm an M1 who got the finalist notification. Applied for 2 years of funding

At least I applied to the Military as well. Not worried

That is the minority. That only occurs if people turn down the scholarship which isn't super common

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
When I got the scholarship, they actually said a good amount of people usually turn it down each year. In fact, they started calling people ahead of time asking if they would accept it or not so they didn't have to award it to someone who didn't want it anymore and then find someone to take their place.

When I got the scholarship, they actually said a good amount of people usually turn it down each year. In fact, they started calling people ahead of time asking if they would accept it or not so they didn't have to award it to someone who didn't want it anymore and then find someone to take their place.

Interesting! Well that is good to know. I didn't think it would be a high number but I am glad I was incorrect

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

was anyone able to find any info about the second round of finalist emails from previous threads? couldn't find anything from last years thread, so it looks like there's no hope.

was anyone able to find any info about the second round of finalist emails from previous threads? couldn't find anything from last years thread, so it looks like there's no hope.
I think that there is a second round when finalists decline the award or fail to qualify. There were a few people who got emails after the initial round of finalist emails was sent, but I'm not counting on that!

Got a finalist email at 10:00 am - D1 applicant for 4 years of funding. I'm wondering how we fill out the W-4 employee section as well, if we haven't had a job in 2017? I saw someone else ask the same thing. Feels weird to leave it blank...

Got a finalist email at 10:00 am - D1 applicant for 4 years of funding. I'm wondering how we fill out the W-4 employee section as well, if we haven't had a job in 2017? I saw someone else ask the same thing. Feels weird to leave it blank...
The form is for them to take taxes out of your stipend. For that purpose, they are considered your employer. It is not connected to any job that you have had in the past or this year. You don't fill out the employer part (line 8 and 10). They will fill that out. It even says that on the form. Just fill out your personal information, allowances/additional withholdings, sign, date and turn it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I think that there is a second round when finalists decline the award or fail to qualify. There were a few people who got emails after the initial round of finalist emails was sent, but I'm not counting on that!

Yup, definitely counting on that now

The form is for them to take taxes out of your stipend. For that purpose, they are considered your employer. It is not connected to any job that you have had in the past or this year. You don't fill out the employer part (line 8 and 10). They will fill that out. It even says that on the form. Just fill out your personal information, allowances/additional withholdings, sign, date and turn it in.
Ah, thank you. I should've read that closer!

Finalist email at 10 am. D1 applicant
Does this mean we definitely got the scholarship??! It would be devastating to feel this good and then have it taken away....

After submitting the documents, status on NHSC portal changed to Accepted Award - Under Final Review ! :)

Congrats to everyone who got it!!! I had a cred check but no finalist email yet, this goes to show you credit check means nothing!!!

For everyone who got it, would you say you guys had a lot of experience with underserved communties?

Congrats to everyone who got it!!! I had a cred check but no finalist email yet, this goes to show you credit check means nothing!!!

For everyone who got it, would you say you guys had a lot of experience with underserved communties?
Not true. A credit check is a step in the process, not a guarantee of anything. It's a good sign that things are moving favorably. The application guide says that everyone who gets the award has their credit checked, but that doesn't mean that everyone who had their credit checked gets the award.

Late to the party... Moving apartments today. I received a finalist email today at 9:00am.

Rising 3rd year Medical Student. Reapplicant.
Credit Check: 6/8

Background: Non-traditional student. Grad school (MPH). 5 years as a clinical health educator/case manager in a federally qualified community health center.

Last edited:
Even later to the party, I was backpacking this week. I am a 2nd year MD student, 1st time applicant. Received the finalist email at 7 am this morning. Grew up in a rural area and worked several years in a rural health education program over summers during college. I didn't ever look to see if they credit checked me. Good luck everyone!