NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I say my highest education received is a high school diploma even if I graduate with my bachelor's in like a month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thank you for helping us out. I have a quick question do we have an option to turn down our scholarship if we are accepted? I just want to know if there is an option of turning back after being selected. Thank you!

Yes, If you get selected to receive the scholarship you have to sign a contract. So if you get selected and don't want it then don't sign the contract.

Should I say my highest education received is a high school diploma even if I graduate with my bachelor's in like a month?

If you have a bachelors degree then you should state that as your highest degree and submit transcript.

I have not received financial aid award from my dental school yet. How do i know if school is going to give me any scholarship or not? we have to upload this document: RECEIPT OF EXCEPTIONAL FINANCIAL NEED SCHOLARSHIP to be signed by school financial aid advisor. How to know if we qualify for this or not?

I have not received financial aid award from my dental school yet. How do i know if school is going to give me any scholarship or not? we have to upload this document: RECEIPT OF EXCEPTIONAL FINANCIAL NEED SCHOLARSHIP to be signed by school financial aid advisor. How to know if we qualify for this or not?
Read through the rest of this thread, your question has already been answered.

Reactions: 1 user
Question regarding the Essays....Should I put my name and the prompt on top of the page?

Directly from the sp guide..."Each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number."

I don't think you necessarily need to include the prompt. up to you.

Question regarding the Essays....Should I put my name and the prompt on top of the page?
I did. It said somewhere in the guide that every document submitted must include your name, discipline, and a third item I can't recall right now.

So I'm an incoming M1 applying and I can't find 17-18 NHSC thread outside the dental forum --- is it dis-proportionally dental students who apply to the NHSC scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Directly from the sp guide..."Each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number."

I don't think you necessarily need to include the prompt. up to you.
This might be a dumb question but i'll ask anyways..... if I am including my US citizenship naturalization document should i include my first name, last name, discipline and last 4 digits of social security number?

How does the LOR work? tell my writers before i start the actual app? and it's one academic and 1 non academic?

Make sure they will write you one before requesting it. Yes, one academic and one non-academic.

thanks. they need to write it up before the deadline? and what are the requirements for non academic?

So I'm an incoming M1 applying and I can't find 17-18 NHSC thread outside the dental forum --- is it dis-proportionally dental students who apply to the NHSC scholarship?
No, it's just because collaboration doesn't occur in medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
So is it just me or does the description of the non-academic letter of rec seem vague? The guide literally says anyone who knows what the applicant has done.

So if that is the case, could I have a course instructor whom I've talked to for almost 4 years and knows me very well write me the non-academic letter?

It is not vague at all. If you read the description under non-academic letter it explains exactly who can write you a letter of recommendation. Make sure to read the guide before applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay I feel silly. I can't get past the degree information page. Under Professional health discipline I put Dentist/General practice. DDS for the degree. But when I search for the school it comes up empty. I'm going to Ohio State. I've tried Ohio State, The Ohio State, The Ohio State college of dentistry. I've even tried other schools I know of and the search result always comes back empty.

The heck am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Okay I feel silly. I can't get past the degree information page. Under Professional health discipline I put Dentist/General practice. DDS for the degree. But when I search for the school it comes up empty. I'm going to Ohio State. I've tried Ohio State, The Ohio State, The Ohio State college of dentistry. I've even tried other schools I know of and the search result always comes back empty.

The heck am I doing wrong? Thanks!
I have the same problem as well. They have my school with a different address. The best thing to do is to call them and ask.

Dumb question and sorry if its already been answered but do we need to include name disapline and SS on documents that are scanned like our birth certificate and verifcation forms and such that include that info in the page itself

Dumb question and sorry if its already been answered but do we need to include name disapline and SS on documents that are scanned like our birth certificate and verifcation forms and such that include that info in the page itself
I'm wondering the same! I might even print out that info and put it in the corner of every document I upload.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Hey everyone.

I am stuck on the Degree Information part of my application.. -_- I am requesting funding for all four years so I need to fill out the start and end dates for each year, but idk the exact dates.... The school I will be attending provides an academic calendar for up to year 2018, and I'm sure they don't have years 2019-2021 prepared yet. Do I have to input EXACT dates or can I just use approximate dates?

Hey everyone.

I am stuck on the Degree Information part of my application.. -_- I am requesting funding for all four years so I need to fill out the start and end dates for each year, but idk the exact dates.... The school I will be attending provides an academic calendar for up to year 2018, and I'm sure they don't have years 2019-2021 prepared yet. Do I have to input EXACT dates or can I just use approximate dates?
i am stuck on this part as well. i just put september to may for each year. i dont know if i have summer classes in my dental school or not. my school doesn't have an academic calendar on the website.

i am stuck on this part as well. i just put september to may for each year. i dont know if i have summer classes in my dental school or not. my school doesn't have an academic calendar on the website.
thanks. i'll do the same

Hey, I remember reading in last years thread that uploaded documents had to have something like a signature or social security number. Do we need to add anything like that? I haven't seen mention of it in the instruction packet, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss an important detail :). Also, how are you going about getting a signed copy of proof of admission?
thanks!

Hey, I remember reading in last years thread that uploaded documents had to have something like a signature or social security number. Do we need to add anything like that? I haven't seen mention of it in the instruction packet, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss an important detail :). Also, how are you going about getting a signed copy of proof of admission?
thanks!
pg. 39 of the application guide under required supporting documentation: "Each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number."

i put my name, discipline (dentistry), & last 4 digits of my SSN on the top right-hand corner of each document.

proof of admission? are you talking about the acceptance report/verification of good standing? if so, i sent a PDF copy of it to the admissions office via email and one of the admissions officers told me she will print it out for me and have it filled out by the assistant dean then sent back to me.

pg. 39 of the application guide under required supporting documentation: "Each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number."

i put my name, discipline (dentistry), & last 4 digits of my SSN on the top right-hand corner of each document.

proof of admission? are you talking about the acceptance report/verification of good standing? if so, i sent a PDF copy of it to the admissions office via email and one of the admissions officers told me she will print it out for me and have it filled out by the assistant dean then sent back to me.
Did that PDF copy of the verification of acceptance have a date on it? The one I found is from 2013-2014 and I can't find an updated form. I called them and asked about it and they told me that I don't need to fill that form out and I just need to send them some proof of acceptance with the dates of attendance. I'd rather just send my school the form so that they can fill it out.

Did that PDF copy of the verification of acceptance have a date on it? The one I found is from 2013-2014 and I can't find an updated form. I called them and asked about it and they told me that I don't need to fill that form out and I just need to send them some proof of acceptance with the dates of attendance. I'd rather just send my school the form so that they can fill it out.
The verification of acceptance form you can download from the NHSC application is updated. You can find it under template documents on the supporting documents page!

I have not seen another thread for NHSC that is as popular as the dental. I usually follow this one to see what is going on. I am a current OMSI and this will be my second year applying.

Are there any current recipients of this scholarship that can speak about what they thought made them a competitive applicant?

Did you fill out the form first before having them sign it or did they fill the whole thing out?

Did you fill out the form first before having them sign it or did they fill the whole thing out?
no. i sent a blank copy. if you look at the top of the form, it states: "to be completed by a school official only."

idk what's taking the school so long to send the form back to me..... i was told i will get it by the end of last week. -_-

no. i sent a blank copy. if you look at the top of the form, it states: "to be completed by a school official only."

idk what's taking the school so long to send the form back to me..... i was told i will get it by the end of last week. -_-
Ah dang I missed that thanks!

And I'd follow up early next week if you don't get something by tomorrow!

Are there any current recipients of this scholarship that can speak about what they thought made them a competitive applicant?

Your essays and experience serving underserved population. They look for genuine people who have had a lot of experience working with underprivileged community.

Your essays and experience serving underserved population. They look for genuine people who have had a lot of experience working with underprivileged community.
Thank you for the reply! Do you think it would be of benefit for me to talk about growing up in a rural community? My pre health advisor suggested to not make that my main point but I feel like it is significant to show that I know what I am getting myself into.

Hey! 4th year dental student/4 year NHSC Scholarship recipient here. I've been looking for this thread for a while and just found it. Looks like there is quite a bit of confusion. Let me know if you all have any specific questions about the application or job search/transitioning into service (I can't tell which questions have been answered in the thread... too much back and forth). Good luck to everyone!

Definitely essays and ties to underserved populations. They have a video on their website that vaguely goes over what they are looking for, but I think this is the most helpful document I have found (didn't find it until after I applied, but would have loved to have it on hand while applying):

HRSA Review Information

Thank you for the reply! Do you think it would be of benefit for me to talk about growing up in a rural community? My pre health advisor suggested to not make that my main point but I feel like it is significant to show that I know what I am getting myself into.

I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it a main point in at least one of your essays. I wouldn't harp on it exhaustively, but that type of information is definitely worth mentioning. I did in mine.

I honestly don't think that part matters. I made dates up for mine because we are a year-round program with no more than 2 weeks off for any break. As long as your start date of 1st year and graduation date is correct, I don't think it is a problem. They follow up with you after each semester anyway after you receive the scholarship so I don't even know if that look at that part. Same with the fee schedule. They already request that info from each school on a yearly basis so the fact that they even ask that from you is unnecessary.