NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!

So I've got my letters of rec. in and as soon as I get the "acceptance report" from my school I should be good for all the things that take a while to get, right? I realize writing the essays takes a while but I don't have to wait on anyone for those and I've set aside time to do those this week.
Yep.
Do you have your current tuition and fee schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! :)
I sent an email with a PDF attachment of the document to the admissions office. Remember to explain that you're applying for the NHSC scholarship and need a school official to fill it out along with a signature. They will most likely send it back in PDF format so all you have to do is upload it onto your application. Oh, and don't forget to sign the document! Your signature needs to be on it too. So when you get the document back from the school, put your signature on it (I put mine somewhere on the bottom corner) then upload it.
Are you saying you signed the verification of acceptance form?

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Yes. "Must be completed and hand signed by the school official and applicant". Pg. 40 under "c".
Good catch! Why isn't there a place for the student to sign? Guess I'll have to resubmit that!

Good catch! Why isn't there a place for the student to sign? Guess I'll have to resubmit that!

I read the guideline like 3 times just to make sure I don't miss anything haha. And Yeah, I was wondering that too.. I just put my signature somewhere at the bottom corner. xD

SO where does the applicant sign on that form?
idk.... there's no actual place for the student to sign, but the guide states it needs to be signed by both the school official and applicant so I just signed it in a blank corner at the bottom of the form.

On the form itself it says to be filled out by school official only....I am going to call them tomorrow and figure this out...I will let you know what happens....
Good catch.

Reactions: 3 users
On the form itself it says to be filled out by school official only....I am going to call them tomorrow and figure this out...I will let you know what happens....
Good catch.
Thanks Master Yoda!

Good catch.

Yeah that is weird. Theres no place for the applicant to sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am currently on step 7. For the proof of acceptance form, did you just email your school a link to the form and then have them print it, sign it, and then send you a scanned copy of it? I am assuming that's the only way to do it?

Also according to the NHSC guidelines we have to have our first name, last name, discipline and last 4 digits of SSN on every document. But.... you obviously didn't edit your birth certificate to do this right? Is this really necessary on every document?
I scanned my passport, wrote on the corner, and then rescanned

idk.... there's no actual place for the student to sign, but the guide states it needs to be signed by both the school official and applicant so I just signed it in a blank corner at the bottom of the form.
Great catch!

Also according to the NHSC guidelines we have to have our first name, last name, discipline and last 4 digits of SSN on every document. But.... you obviously didn't edit your birth certificate to do this right? Is this really necessary on every document?

The only thing I didn't add a name,ssn, discipline to was my official transcript which had security measures on the pdf. I'm just hoping they aren't too strict on that rule of theirs.

The only thing I didn't add a name,ssn, discipline to was my official transcript which had security measures on the pdf. I'm just hoping they aren't too strict on that rule of theirs.
They accept unofficial transcripts too. You could add it if you wanted to be sure.

So essays is 2500 characters with or without spaces? With spaces my Essay is super super tiny! Anyone know which one is correct; with or without spaces?

Thanks

So essays is 2500 characters with or without spaces? With spaces my Essay is super super tiny! Anyone know which one is correct; with or without spaces?

Thanks
With spaces it should be 2500 character which is about 360-380 words.

Reactions: 1 users
Based of their site yes BUT based off of their guide you would have to include both lol. They seem to be contradicting themselves. "Each applicant must submit transcripts from . . .".

If only someone with experience could chime in.
Hey all, I received the NHSC scholarship last year and meant to jump on here sooner to help out- sorry if you've already submitted. In terms of the transcripts, I had the same question last year. I ended up entering the GPA from my most recent institution that gave out GPAs (a one year post-bacc) but created a PDF file that included my undergrad, post-bacc, and first year of med school (I applied during first year for a 3 year scholarship) in one file and uploaded that. My med school is P/F so I didn't include that in the GPA at all and just went back to my post-bacc program for GPA. Let me know if you have questions!

I was awarded the NHSC last year and called about this while applying. They said it was outdated from when people used to send in forms by mail. As long as it's uploaded in your portal it's linked to you so I wouldn't worry about it. The woman I spoke with told me I didn't even need to include it so I didn't on most things.

Hey all, I received the NHSC scholarship last year and meant to jump on here sooner to help out- sorry if you've already submitted. In terms of the transcripts, I had the same question last year. I ended up entering the GPA from my most recent institution that gave out GPAs (a one year post-bacc) but created a PDF file that included my undergrad, post-bacc, and first year of med school (I applied during first year for a 3 year scholarship) in one file and uploaded that. My med school is P/F so I didn't include that in the GPA at all and just went back to my post-bacc program for GPA. Let me know if you have questions!
Got any advice on these essays? Haha We've got just about a week left and I'm getting nervous.

Good catch.

Did you get an answer?

My school filled everything out. I did nothing except upload it.

Seems like there is always some disconnect between the guide and whats on the website/documents.

Decided to just hit the submit button. Goodluck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
With spaces it should be 2500 character which is about 360-380 words.

I was just reading this thread, and some of your old posts, so I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam but I couldn't find where you got the "official" answer that its 360-380 words. On page 40 section e of the document it says that the essays should be 250 words or less and the online application states 2500 characters.

2500 characters (with spaces) = ~380 words
1600 characters (with spaces) =~250 words

I didn't find the post on this thread where you determined that it was 2500 characters. Did you call them?

Too many inconsistencies. I'm not gonna stress about it any longer. Submitted my app! Like a b0s$! Hehe. Good luck guys~ :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was just reading this thread, and some of your old posts, so I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam but I couldn't find where you got the "official" answer that its 360-380 words. On page 40 section e of the document it says that the essays should be 250 words or less and the online application states 2500 characters.

2500 characters (with spaces) = ~380 words
1600 characters (with spaces) =~250 words

I didn't find the post on this thread where you determined that it was 2500 characters. Did you call them?
I called them and they said go with what is on the website which is 2500 characters with space....I have called and asked them about this on 3 separate occasions and I got the same answer. For my essays 2500 characters came out to be approximately 380 words, which is half a page single spaced.
Also, I called them twice and asked them about the spacing and both times they mentioned they wanted single space only.
I am still waiting to hear back from them in regards to applicant signature on the verification of acceptance form. Once I hear something I will share it with the community.

Got any advice on these essays? Haha We've got just about a week left and I'm getting nervous.

I think my best advice would be to try to make them interesting to read (they are reading hundreds of these) and make sure to use them to show what makes YOU unique. Everyone applying wants to work with underserved populations- try to use past experiences/work to show that you are genuine about this. Tell stories about yourself that explain your motivations. The prompts last year were pretty broad and I tried to use each one to highlight something a little different about myself. Good luck!

How are you guys getting 380 words with 2500 characters? One of mine is 2200 and it's 438 words. Another is 2400 with 495 words, and the last is 442 words with 2431 characters.

So, I have some pretty good essays that are about exactly 2,500 characters. Now that they are saying it is 500 words, do you think it smart to add on, or just go with what I got? I'm generally happy with my essays, I even had a friend who is a professional writer and editor give them a good scrubbing.

They aren't going to check man, just make sure it's less than a page and upload it. It's not a word document either so they have no way of easily seeing how many words/characters it is.

They aren't going to check man, just make sure it's less than a page and upload it. It's not a word document either so they have no way of easily seeing how many words/characters it is.

Roger, just making sure I'm not being stupid. Which is often the case. +pity+

did you upload your essays as a PDF? i left mine as word document

But they can easily covert the pdf to word and check. Better to be safe than sorry.

On the NHSC thing they did tonight they talked about the word count and were very specific. I'll copy and paste it in a few.

NHSC Staff-Sabrina Lynch: Hello Nagina, each essay submitted should have a 500 word count or one page is acceptable. The NHSC apologizes for any confusion.
NHSC Staff-Sabrina Lynch: Hi Jessie, each essay submitted should have a 500 word count. The NHSC apologizes for any confusion.
Tracey Jackson-Weaver NHSC staff: The essay should be no more then one page in length or 500 word count , no 2,500 character limit.

So the one unifying thing is 500 words. Really, since things are so scattered I would be stupid surprised if they even bothered to check unless it was hugely long or something.

Thank you for this information. My only concern is that the prompt on the scholarship portal says 2500 characters. Where does the 500 word count come from? Guide? portal?
NHSC Staff-Sabrina Lynch sounds familiar....She talked to me on the phone in regards to the word count couple of weeks ago and she said to follow the scholarship portal.
This is absolutely ridiculous. There is no point in contacting them anymore because every time they come up with different answers. Very disappointed. :(

Guys, I know it's getting really stressful and annoying with all the inconsistencies.... I would just follow the 2500 characters limit that is stated in the scholarship portal and don't think twice. Don't worry and stress so much because at the end of the day, we are just following what is stated on the application and if they start some shizzzzz with me about the length of my essay, I won't let it slide. Lol.

And as Master Yoda has stated.. there really is no point in contacting them anymore because they will just give you a different answer every time.

Best to be consistent in the face of inconsistency. I'm just sticking with what I know.

Do the LOR HAVE to stay confidential from us applicants? I know they're submitted by the letter writer online, like with AADSAS. But the writers have the choice to show us the letter before they submit it right?

Do the LOR HAVE to stay confidential from us applicants? I know they're submitted by the letter writer online, like with AADSAS. But the writers have the choice to show us the letter before they submit it right?
It will just notify you that the letter has been submitted. There is no option to view the letter prior to it being uploaded. If you want to see the letter, I guess your only option is to ask the writer.

You could ask for a copy of LOR for your records....some professors give that to students and some don't....