NHSC Scholarship 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an email last week stating I'm a finalist. This last Thursday they emailed me requesting a summer verification form ASAP. Anyone else had this happen?

I believe you receive the email when you indicate that you took summer courses in your verification form.

Members don't see this ad.

Sooo I'm thinking since the second round of finalists were notified on the 16th they have to have everything in by this Thursday, and we may start getting countersignatures by the end of next week or maybe the first week in September at the latest. Obviously just guessing. I have totally checked my expectations though--I feel like there are a lot of finalists popping up and so few spots this year. So at this point if I get it I'd just be overjoyed and surprised lol. Starting school yesterday and the associated crazy schedule has really helped with the waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the timeline I'm expecting, too. I'm trying to keep my mind occupied but blah!

I received an email last week stating I'm a finalist. This last Thursday they emailed me requesting a summer verification form ASAP. Anyone else had this happen?

Hi, I just received this email this morning.. I think it's because I am a D2 and my school is a trimester system. Did you have to submit yours by a certain deadline?? Did you also include your unofficial transcript?

There is a scheduled maintenance From Thursday to Friday. We might be receiving those counter signatures by next week.

There is a scheduled maintenance From Thursday to Friday. We might be receiving those counter signatures by next week.
Last year they heard back on the 31st so I'm hoping we hear then too.

they got their finalist notifications earlier though... :/
Wishing thinking :laugh:
I'm just not sure what else they have to look at that should delay things any longer

to those who have received an email, what does your status on the portal say?

If I didn’t get a finalist email yet, is it pretty much over? I think the 2nd wave of finalist emails have already gone out?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I just received this email this morning.. I think it's because I am a D2 and my school is a trimester system. Did you have to submit yours by a certain deadline?? Did you also include your unofficial transcript?

I'm a DS2 as well and my school is also a trimester system. They requested that I email it the next day or ASAP and yes I included unofficial transcript

Anyone else hopeful that some countersigns are done tomorrow?! Lol the portal being down tonight is making me hopeful.

Anyone else hopeful that some countersigns are done tomorrow?! Lol the portal being down tonight is making me hopeful.
I honestly doubt :((( because last year they got it on the 30th and they got their finalist emails earlier than us

I honestly doubt :((( because last year they got it on the 30th and they got their finalist emails earlier than us
I know buuut there are fewer people receiving scholarships this year so I thought maybe it’d speed things up a bit?? Hahaha grasping at straws here

I really hope they picked a few finalists compared to last year..it would be a bummer If they just rejected more finalists

I really hope they picked a few finalists compared to last year..it would be a bummer If they just rejected more finalists

Site is back up..no notable changes for me ☹️

Site is under maintenance again tonight/tomorrow :thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
Did you take summer classes?

I’m really late to this party, I guess! I’m glad I got the finalist email as well, and am so anxious to hear back more information! I also got the Summer EVF to fill out as I am a second semester PA Student now. It was a little different than the regular EVF, but filled it out the same and attached an official transcript.

Hope we hear back soon!

ALSO- I have no idea what the credit check is about. I checked credit karma and I don’t see any inquiries but if someone has some advice to see where that is, please fill me in! :oops:

I’m really late to this party, I guess! I’m glad I got the finalist email as well, and am so anxious to hear back more information! I also got the Summer EVF to fill out as I am a second semester PA Student now. It was a little different than the regular EVF, but filled it out the same and attached an official transcript.
Welcome!
When did you get the finalist email?

Site is under maintenance again tonight/tomorrow :thinking:
What kind of maintenance do they need to do this frequently if it's not signing our contracts :angelic:
Cross your fingers for next week. I don't know if I'm more nervous to start classes or hear/not hear back from NHSC

What kind of maintenance do they need to do this frequently if it's not signing our contracts :angelic:
Cross your fingers for next week. I don't know if I'm more nervous to start classes or hear/not hear back from NHSC

They need to maintain our anxiety.

I will start to get anxious the 30th and onward!!

Welcome!
When did you get the finalist email?

Thank you! I heard from them initially on 8/8- that I was to log on and I was a finalist. And then last Sunday they requested the summer EVF.

Thank you! I heard from them initially on 8/8- that I was to log on and I was a finalist. And then last Sunday they requested the summer EVF.
That was the first round of notifications! Some finalists haven't gotten the award in past years so I'm trying to keep tabs who was first round and who was second to see if there is a correlation. Won't help us, but when future years look back on this, it may help them.

last year the site was down twice (once during the week and then on the weekend) and they found out the following week about the first round of countersigns, so I am really hopeful for this week!

So I'm interested in applying for this scholarship for the 2019-2020 cycle, but I'm confused about I'd handle finances if I received the scholarship. I'm currently a D1. If I have to take out loans for my D2 year (which starts in July), and don't receive the Scholarship until late September 2019 (which is a kinda late), wouldn't I then still be stuck taking out loans for that year even though I got the scholarship? Can anyone share some insight? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

So I'm interested in applying for this scholarship for the 2019-2020 cycle, but I'm confused about I'd handle finances if I received the scholarship. I'm currently a D1. If I have to take out loans for my D2 year (which starts in July), and don't receive the Scholarship until late September 2019 (which is a kinda late), wouldn't I then still be stuck taking out loans for that year even though I got the scholarship? Can anyone share some insight? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
You do initially take out loans, but if you get the scholarship, the NHSC pays your school and your school reverses the loans. Same situation that everyone is in because awards don’t become official until after everyone’s semester has already started.

Very late to the forum but I'm also waiting and seeing everyone on the same boat makes me feel better. I got the finalist notification on 8/8 and I'm now in my 3rd week of classes. I called HRSA and was told that as long as the school you're applying to hasn't changed, and you're still in good standing, chances are very good that you will get the scholarship.
Trying not to get my hopes up, but that made me very hopeful.

Reactions: 2 users
Very late to the forum but I'm also waiting and seeing everyone on the same boat makes me feel better. I got the finalist notification on 8/8 and I'm now in my 3rd week of classes. I called HRSA and was told that as long as the school you're applying to hasn't changed, and you're still in good standing, chances are very good that you will get the scholarship.
Omg they actually said that???

New to the forum! I received my finalist email from Tracy Jackson-Weaver on Aug 13 and had 48 hours to reply. I am now considered a "finalist". Fingers crossed as it appears that finalist last year received a countersignature on the 30th of August. UGH, the waiting is awful. I seriously hope we get it. Please post if you get your countersignature. Also, I have not submitted paper work for a credit check and I don't see one was done on me either.

I also called HRSA and they told me because I am a finalist, I have a great chance of receiving the scholarship. I did read that finalist a few years back didn't get the scholarship. I hope that's not the case this year!

Hi all, I stumbled upon this thread after I got the NHSC finalist email on 8/16. Up until that point, I had basically forgotten I had even applied, as these national scholarships are most definitely longshots. Now I'm a nervous wreck!

I did notice the credit check on my account earlier this summer, but at the time I got the notice from Credit Karma I freaked out thinking that someone had stolen my identity. Glad that wasn't the case!

Anyway, my background:

RN starting my first year in an FNP program today. Completing my last semester of an MPH program. 4 years as a nurse with 4 years in non-profit work (hunger-relief organization) before that.

I have been checking every day since I submitted my finalist contract on the 17th for a countersignature. I'm trying to remain hopeful, but the way politics and federal budgets are playing out these days, I won't feel relief until I get a congratulatory email.

For those finalists out there, please post if/when you do get the countersignature. Good luck, all!

Hi all, I stumbled upon this thread after I got the NHSC finalist email on 8/16. Up until that point, I had basically forgotten I had even applied, as these national scholarships are most definitely longshots. Now I'm a nervous wreck!

I did notice the credit check on my account earlier this summer, but at the time I got the notice from Credit Karma I freaked out thinking that someone had stolen my identity. Glad that wasn't the case!

Anyway, my background:

RN starting my first year in an FNP program today. Completing my last semester of an MPH program. 4 years as a nurse with 4 years in non-profit work (hunger-relief organization) before that.

I have been checking every day since I submitted my finalist contract on the 17th for a countersignature. I'm trying to remain hopeful, but the way politics and federal budgets are playing out these days, I won't feel relief until I get a congratulatory email.

For those finalists out there, please post if/when you do get the countersignature. Good luck, all!

Happy to see someone else doing advanced nursing! I’m in a nurse-midwifery program :)

Yes, it's not something we haven't heard before, but it was still a little comforting.
Also, I don't see a credit check by them on Credit Karma. Not sure what to think of that.

Best of luck to all the finalists!

Yes, it's not something we haven't heard before, but it was still a little comforting.
Also, I don't see a credit check by them on Credit Karma. Not sure what to think of that.

Best of luck to all the finalists!

My comment was directed towards that person who clearly seemed shocked when it's something that we've been told multiple times.

What do they look at when deciding which finalists actually get the scholarship? Someone told me that 90% of finalists get the scholarship but just curious if people knew what they looked at?

I don't think anyone knows that; there isn't much out there about the inner workings of the NHSC.

Congratulations to everyone else; feel free to check out the NHSC/PHS sub-forum as well. Good luck with school. :)

How many times have you guys downloaded the contract to check for a counter signature? I'm at 13 :laugh:

How many times have you guys downloaded the contract to check for a counter signature? I'm at 13 :laugh:
Hahaha 55 and that’s just on my computer.... with iPad and phone I’m thinking over 150

Reactions: 3 users
My comment was directed towards that person who clearly seemed shocked when it's something that we've been told multiple times.
Not really sure how that annoyed you to the point where you had to comment about it, relax

I hope we hear back soon!:eek:

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully tomorrow is the day we see a countersignature. Eeeeewwkkkk the wait is brutal!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm getting extra extra nervous about tomorrow lol

I'm getting extra extra nervous about tomorrow lol

To be honest, we're pretty unlikely to get countersigns tomorrow. That's based off last year alone and they were about a week ahead of us.

Now will that stop me from checking 200 times tomorrow?...