NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
I just got emailed the summer EVF form, my program started back and January so should I check summer, fall, spring, winter for the “select all terms enrolled for entire school year”?

That’s what I did, checked all of them except the last, which said “block” if I remember right

Members don't see this ad.

So we can expect the next round (assuming there is one lol) to be next Monday ish? Let me know so I can stop obsessively refreshing my email like today.

Reactions: 2 users
Have any dental students gotten a finalist notification who did not get one in the first round?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, first year PA student here. I am a first round finalist, similar situation my program started back in January so I checked yes that I did summer courses. I just gave them a call and she said that I did not need to fill out a summer EVF since I already clarified that I did summer classes, she just said they would look at my loans thus far and pay everything July and after in this case. But it would not hurt to call to make sure if anyone else is in this situation!

I haven't got the summer EVF yet...not sure if I should call them or not

I haven't got the summer EVF yet...not sure if I should call them or not
I actually just got an email about an hour ago to fill out the form! I called earlier today and she completely acted like I didn’t need it then they emailed me requesting it several hours later, so maybe worth a call just to be safe but I really don’t think it would end up going against you if you didn’t.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually just got an email about an hour ago to fill out the form! I called earlier today and she completely acted like I didn’t need it then they emailed me requesting it several hours later, so maybe worth a call just to be safe but I really don’t think it would end up going against you if you didn’t.
what does the form ask for?

what does the form ask for?
It’s basically the same as the fall form but says summer at the top and also asks for an up to date transcript showing summer grades, but you’re school has to sign it so I’m going through that again

I got the notification at 5:00 pm central time! Keep holding out hope, I pretty much had lost all hope and was super bummed last week. This just shows they are sending more rounds out!
yeah, I'm losing hope every time I check my email lol. congrats to you, though! does your portal change once you become a finalist?

Reactions: 1 users
1598448549719.png

I was doing some research on the NHSC site this morning whereI found this section of the program rules that you all may find as interesting as I did. According to this, if you are asked to sign the contract, complete the direct deposit form, and the w-4, you have been selected for an award (more than just a finalist for consideration). Further, if you fail to respond with the required documentation by the provided deadline, or you decline the offer, the offer is rescinded and offered to an alternate; suggesting they offer all scholarships to the first round of finalists and after the deadline they offer any unclaimed scholarships to the second round and so on until all scholarships have been claimed. This section seems to confirm the long standing speculation regarding the selection process for finalists. I am cautiously optimistic as I was a first round finalist. For statistical purposes, I am a second time applicant pursuing DMD.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m a 2nd year dental student so I’m a finalist for the 3 year scholarship. I should have made that clear in my previous post!

Congrats fellow scholar! I received the scholarship last year as a D1, btw love the profile pic :D

I got the finalist email last week. This was my second time applying so I am super grateful for this opportunity! Question for other finalist - does our school need to sign the EVF for new awardees?

Congrats to you!

View attachment 316974

I was doing some research on the NHSC site this morning whereI found this section of the program rules that you all may find as interesting as I did. According to this, if you are asked to sign the contract, complete the direct deposit form, and the w-4, you have been selected for an award (more than just a finalist for consideration). Further, if you fail to respond with the required documentation by the provided deadline, or you decline the offer, the offer is rescinded and offered to an alternate; suggesting they offer all scholarships to the first round of finalists and after the deadline they offer any unclaimed scholarships to the second round and so on until all scholarships have been claimed. This section seems to confirm the long standing speculation regarding the selection process for finalists. I am cautiously optimistic as I was a first round finalist. For statistical purposes, I am a second time applicant pursuing DMD.
I literally read this section every day! the only think that makes me nervous is that after responding to the finalist email and sending in a w-4 and evf, it thanks you in your portal for submitting your confirmation of interest. ive heard of some students from the first round who still dont get the scholarship even after submitting everything before the due date. so until i see that co-signature, im thinking that i dont have it.

HRSA released their 2021 Budget estimate in early February, and it projects that they will give out 149 scholarship awards for the 2021 cycle. Keep in mind these numbers were provided pre-covid, so HRSA's budget may have been altered since then.

To those that are wondering what it takes to be selected, the narrative indicates, "Awards are targeted to individuals who demonstrate characteristics that are indicative of success in a career in primary care in underserved communities." They also report out and emphasize provider retention in underserved areas, so I imagine they are looking for candidates who are capable of working in these areas for the long haul.

For more reference (page 81) : https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hrsa/about/budget/budget-justification-fy2021.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s basically the same as the fall form but says summer at the top and also asks for an up to date transcript showing summer grades, but you’re school has to sign it so I’m going through that again

Hey! I’m a first round finalist and I’ve yet to receive the summer EVF form though I did take summer classes and marked that. Do they give a strict and quick turn around time for that form as well? Stressing because I’m about to go camping for a few days and don’t want to miss it.

Hey! I’m a first round finalist and I’ve yet to receive the summer EVF form though I did take summer classes and marked that. Do they give a strict and quick turn around time for that form as well? Stressing because I’m about to go camping for a few days and don’t want to miss it.
They did not give me a deadline to submit it! They just said to have your school fill it out and send it back by replying to the email. Luckily my school filled it out first thing this morning, but the NHSC email did not request it by a certain date which is nice

For the W-4 form, does anyone know if I should I fill out section 4 b) Deductions if I just took out student loans for this year? I am a D1 and can't figure out if I should leave that section blank or estimate my student loan interest since I plan on returning the loans if I am awarded the scholarship. Thanks in advance!

For the W-4 form, does anyone know if I should I fill out section 4 b) Deductions if I just took out student loans for this year? I am a D1 and can't figure out if I should leave that section blank or estimate my student loan interest since I plan on returning the loans if I am awarded the scholarship. Thanks in advance!
I called and asked about this because I was unsure myself. They told me to just leave it blank and we can edit it later if necessary.

How many 2nd round finalist from SDN? Doesn’t seem like many people posted about being 2nd round finalist. If it’s so little people, does that mean most scholarships were claimed and there may not be a third round?

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone think there are less dental recipients due to covid or are my thoughts completely bazaar??

How many 2nd round finalist from SDN? Doesn’t seem like many people posted about being 2nd round finalist. If it’s so little people, does that mean most scholarships were claimed and there may not be a third round?

I only count 2 from here...

Does anyone think there are less dental recipients due to covid or are my thoughts completely bazaar??

I think this cycle is unique because of the pandemic in general...who knows

yeah, I'm losing hope every time I check my email lol. congrats to you, though! does your portal change once you become a finalist?

Yes it does! It says "finalist for award" I believe when you initially check after the email and then once you submit all of your information for the confirmation of interest part- it changes to "accepted award-under final review". You have to fill out a W4, direct deposit info, fall 2020 enrollment verification and then they will send a summer 2020 EVF form if you took summer classes! Don't lose hope yet, they just sent the second round out so I am more than sure they will do a 3rd one if any decline the award from the second round!

Also- I was checking in the PA forum and two different people asked the scholarship customer service people on the phone about your chances as a finalist. They basically said if their is no poor academic standing or program changes and they have all the funds by time they look at your contract- you will get it. They also don't tend to give out more finalist notifications than funds available so I think we can all be highly optimistic! :) Just have to keep waiting for now!

Hello! I hope you all good!

First of all, congratulations to those who are finalists. ;) I want to know if the people who are finalists right now are all of you from disadvantage backgrounds?

First of all, congratulations to those who are finalists. ;) I want to know if the people who are finalists right now are all of you from disadvantage backgrounds?

Yes, I am. To make it easier, like this post if you are a finalist and had the disadvantaged background form filled out in your application.

Reactions: 9 users
I am a first round finalist and am not from a disadvantaged background

I am not from a disadvantaged background technically according to my school. But I did grow up in Anchorage, AK which is a medically underserved area and I did mention that in my essays! I really feel like they mainly focus on those with a strong community service/interest in serving underserved communities!

I am a first round finalist and I didn’t submit a disadvantage background. I think technically I qualified to submit one since Ihad to work through your college (or well that’s what an NHSC scholarship recipient told me).

I am also a finalist and do not have a disadvantaged background. I did, however, go to undergrad (and am now attending dental school) in a city with a very high rate of poverty, evictions, and medicaid participants, which I talked about in my essays.

Just to be clear, they already email the first and second round finalist or just the first round on Ago 19?

Just to be clear, they already email the first and second round finalist or just the first round on Ago 19?
1st round August 19th- many finalist posted
2nd round August 25th- couple people they received finalist emails.
If there is a third round it will probably be Monday the 31st.
(Speculating) with such a small number from round 2, nervous there may not be a third.

I am in the second round of finalist and our deadline is 08/29 so I would definitely think 08/31 would be the day to look out for! Every year has a third round so I'm sure their will be this year!

congrats to everyone who has received the finalist e-mail!! And to the rest of us, lets all stay positive :)

Reactions: 7 users
As a cynical 2nd year applicant and finalist for the first time this year, I find this so nerve wracking in its own way because it’s the Blessed Year Of 2020 whose theme Is Thou Shall Not Have Nice Things. And i keep wondering if this not working out in the end is gonna be the thing that finally breaks my spirit L-lol/smh... I can’t waiiiiiiit for Sept 30!

Trust me! I feel the exact same way. I am definitely skeptical because of the year but I really do think we have a good shot!

Trust me! I feel the exact same way. I am definitely skeptical because of the year but I really do think we have a good shot!
Ah I really hope so! Best of luck to us all

Definitely giving up hope now... congratulations to all the finalists!!

I'm a first round finalist (medical student), but not from a disadvantaged background. I worked extensively in an FQHC in an underserved area prior to med school, and believe that this helped me get selected.

The top part of the portal says "Please excuse the inconvenience, but the site will be down for scheduled maintenance from 8:00 AM to approximately 5:00 PM EST on Saturday, August 29th, 2020." I wonder if they could be doing countersignatures or if this is for a third finalist round? Usually its only two hours that the site is down with the finalist emails

For finalists who also were emailed the follow up Summer EVF form from NHSC, the email said to reply to the NHSC email with the completed Summer EVF form and your transcript, which I did. I noticed on the Summer EVF form itself it says to upload the form to the portal, but I didn't see any place to upload them. Just wanted to check with others to make sure I didn't miss anything- I assume emailing the forms as instructed in the NHSC email will suffice, but want to make sure!!

For finalists who also were emailed the follow up Summer EVF form from NHSC, the email said to reply to the NHSC email with the completed Summer EVF form and your transcript, which I did. I noticed on the Summer EVF form itself it says to upload the form to the portal, but I didn't see any place to upload them. Just wanted to check with others to make sure I didn't miss anything- I assume emailing the forms as instructed in the NHSC email will suffice, but want to make sure!!
Yeah i just replied to the email that was sent to me and sent the EVF Summer 2020 that way.

How many of you will have to serve in contract 3 or more years? (with the contract) because I know we can continue working there if we prefer

Wait transcripts aren’t required at the moment from what i was informed. My summer classes aren’t done being graded so i emailed my summer evf and noted the transcripts aren’t attached for this reason. Their reply was, “we only need the EVF at the present time, transcript is not needed.” Did anyone else get a different reply indicating they’re required?

1st round finalist. Still haven't received the summer EVF but called them, they escalated the issue and then the case was closed. It was noted on my account that all documents were received so they said that I'm good for now O_O

How many of you will have to serve in contract 3 or more years? (with the contract) because I know we can continue working there if we prefer
I am a first round finalist and am requesting 3 years of funding.

Wait transcripts aren’t required at the moment from what i was informed. My summer classes aren’t done being graded so i emailed my summer evf and noted the transcripts aren’t attached for this reason. Their reply was, “we only need the EVF at the present time, transcript is not needed.” Did anyone else get a different reply indicating they’re required?
I'm sure that's fine. I included my transcript because my classes ended in July so I had my grades. They really only care about the signed Summer EVF.

I know from last year's message boards there was a Facebook group that a lot of finalists joined to stay in touch and to talk about different questions through the finalist process and to get answers from current scholars-the FB group from last year was National Health Service Corps Dental Scholars Networking Group (for all disciplines)- has anyone joined? I'm planning to but wanted to see if others had a different group to connect with. :)

I got a second round finalist email on 8/25 at 8:00pm Mountain time. Deadline to return documents is 8/29!

Last edited:
I know from last year's message boards there was a Facebook group that a lot of finalists joined to stay in touch and to talk about different questions through the finalist process and to get answers from current scholars-the FB group from last year was National Health Service Corps Dental Scholars Networking Group (for all disciplines)- has anyone joined? I'm planning to but wanted to see if others had a different group to connect with. :)

I joined this!

They told me the same thing! I mentioned to them that my final grades were not inputed for summer yet due to the hurricane closing my school this week. They emailed back saying "summer 2020 transcripts are not required at the moment". So I am sure they will just want the transcripts after the countersignatures!