NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
Were all of the finalists able to get their paperwork back from the school?
I went through hell and back to get it. My registrar refused to sign it because I was not enrolled officially until September 28th so they gave me a letter to attach to the EVF... I received an email on Tuesday stating this wasn’t not acceptable but gave me an opportunity to resend it in with the signature! So I finally submitted today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I went through hell and back to get it. My registrar refused to sign it because I was not enrolled officially until September 28th so they gave me a letter to attach to the EVF... I received an email on Tuesday stating this wasn’t not acceptable but gave me an opportunity to resend it in with the signature! So I finally submitted today!

Yikes, I'm glad it worked out. I had a similar situation getting my disadvantages background form filled out because the financial aid officer wanted proof that I was first generation for any college...so I showed her my FAFSA that stated my parents' highest education levels and she looked at me and said "Well then you can submit that because I'm not signing it. To be honest with you, the only people I've ever known to receive the scholarship were black and grew up on food stamps." I ended up having to go above that financial aid officer to someone much higher up to get the form filled out this year. So I feel that pain, glad it worked out for you! Fingers crossed that something happens for us next week...

Reactions: 3 users
Have anyone else receive the FELS loan as well? My PA school started back in January so I accepted this loan (which has a 2 year service requirement in your state), knowing that I would need to return it if I was awarded NHSC and my financial aid office said that in the past they simply sent back the FELS money if someone was awarded both. I am just concerned about if the NHSC committee would see that I have this loan which has a service commitment and reject my contract (I am a 1st round finalist).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i was looking forward to today thinking that there could be countersignatures due to the website being down for maintenance for most of the day but still got nothing (atleast for me). i was looking at past SDN threads and i saw that a few people got their signatures September 9th and a ton more got them on the 10th. So keep y'all heads up and keep yourself busy for the next 2 weeks.

Well i was looking forward to today thinking that there could be countersignatures due to the website being down for maintenance for most of the day but still got nothing (atleast for me). i was looking at past SDN threads and i saw that a few people got their signatures September 9th and a ton more got them on the 10th. So keep y'all heads up and keep yourself busy for the next 2 weeks.
I was thinking the same thing! I have not been countersigned yet either): Looks like another week of waiting at least!

Last year there were two maintenances before counter signatures -- one this weekend and one the next before countersignatures went out on the 9th. May be the same this year but who knows lol

Reactions: 1 users
I was under the impression that countersignatures would come out during business hours sometime M-F because they seem to be not automatically generated based on the random times that everyone received signatures previously...I thought the person who signs has to go through individually to sign, but who knows!

Anyone know if the application status will change as well when the counter signatures go out? Or will it still say Accepted Award - Under Final Review?

Anyone know if the application status will change as well when the counter signatures go out? Or will it still say Accepted Award - Under Final Review?
According to past years, you get a countersignature which means you got the scholarship. and to check this you need to just keep downloading your signed contract till hopefully some other signature appears. when that happens, you got the scholarship but it seems like your status still doesn't change for a couple days. So, you should see the countersignature like a week before the status changes. You'll know when your status changes because you will get an email saying that the NHSC updated your app or that they sent you a message on your portal.

PSA: if people start getting countersignatures can we be sure to include last name initial, time zone, discipline & what time it was signed...just so everyone else waiting isn't anxiously trying to figure out some logarithm that probably doesn't exist haha

Here's to hoping something good happens today, whether its another round or countersignatures! ¨̮

Reactions: 8 users
PSA: if people start getting countersignatures can we be sure to include last name initial, time zone, discipline & what time it was signed...just so everyone else waiting isn't anxiously trying to figure out some logarithm that probably doesn't exist haha

Here's to hoping something good happens today, whether its another round or countersignatures! ¨̮
I completely agree!

Reactions: 2 users
The site is down for maintenance completely at the moment so hopefully that's a good sign of something! It wont even load the page for me and shows this:

Didn't someone say last year they did two maintenances in a row before countersignatures?

Attachments

• NHSC.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 94
Members don't see this ad :)
The site is down for maintenance completely at the moment so hopefully that's a good sign of something! It wont even load the page for me and shows this:

Didn't someone say last year they did two maintenances in a row before countersignatures?

The site isn’t down for me...looks the same as before with the same status “Accepted Award - Under Final Review”

The site isn’t down for me...looks the same as before with the same status “Accepted Award - Under Final Review”
The weird thing is that it shows the maintenance message if you look up NHSC normally but when I click the book mark version of it that I have- it takes me directly to the portal and I can log in. So not sure what is happening, probably nothing!

The weird thing is that it shows the maintenance message if you look up NHSC normally but when I click the book mark version of it that I have- it takes me directly to the portal and I can log in. So not sure what is happening, probably nothing!

Oh I see! I just tried what you did and it’s down for me too. During the last scheduled maintenances, my portal has still worked so I wondered what the whole schedule maintenance thing actually applied to.

Oh I see! I just tried what you did and it’s down for me too. During the last scheduled maintenances, my portal has still worked so I wondered what the whole schedule maintenance thing actually applied to.
Same with mine! I have always been able to use mine still but I do know that they usually sent out finalist notifications after each maintenance so I wonder if it has a correlation with counter signatures

I will preface this by saying that tbh I don't know what to think anymore lol, BUT previously I tried to activate the participant portal for fun because I was anxious and it said "no record found"...today I tried it because naturally I'm procrastinating for my exam tomorrow morning and it said "the record is already associated with an existing portal account"...literally could mean nothing, but I thought it was interesting that the error message changed.

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying that tbh I don't know what to think anymore lol, BUT previously I tried to activate the participant portal for fun because I was anxious and it said "no record found"...today I tried it because naturally I'm procrastinating for my exam tomorrow morning and it said "the record is already associated with an existing portal account"...literally could mean nothing, but I thought it was interesting that the error message changed.
I am also procrastinating studying, thats too funny! But that is super weird? The waiting is driving me crazy

I am also procrastinating studying, thats too funny! But that is super weird? The waiting is driving me crazy

This is my last semester of didactics and the struggle to find motivation is incredibly real...I will say my anxiety has been through the roof waiting for some movement in the process...to the point where I'm not sleeping/eating like myself. It is what it is at this point and I try to tell myself that, but you know how that goes haha. Definitely tired of waiting, fingers crossed for something this week!

This is my last semester of didactics and the struggle to find motivation is incredibly real...I will say my anxiety has been through the roof waiting for some movement in the process...to the point where I'm not sleeping/eating like myself. It is what it is at this point and I try to tell myself that, but you know how that goes haha. Definitely tired of waiting, fingers crossed for something this week!
I have had the exact same problem, trust me you are not alone! It has been absolutely impossible to focus, I am ready either way! I really hope we all get the countersignatures like all the past years. It really does seem like almost all finalist get it, so hopefully this year isn't any different!

Site is the same as it was for me before. Guys idk if all these random, seemingly meaningless updates and speculations are any good for our mental health at this point :/ I mean ngl i too have been logging in everyday to check for any drop of ink on the contract, and just like the others anticipating a countersignature, I‘ve been anxiously waiting and procrastinating studying bc it’s hard to focus. Since everybody’s anxiety’s through the roof, how about we keep the next few updates limited to countersignatures, third round finalists, and questions of any sort?

Does anyone know if you get a ‘rejection’ email or notice ever? Or is it that if you don’t hear back you just assume you weren’t selected?

Congrats to everyone who made it! Super exciting, and I’m just a first year applicant, so knowing people have been trying for years and finally got it is a big deal. Y’all did it!

Does anyone know if you get a ‘rejection’ email or notice ever? Or is it that if you don’t hear back you just assume you weren’t selected?

Congrats to everyone who made it! Super exciting, and I’m just a first year applicant, so knowing people have been trying for years and finally got it is a big deal. Y’all did it!

You get an email that says you weren’t selected!

You get an email that says you weren’t selected!
Can this email be expected all at the end or does it appear they send them as they weed people out? Sorry, I’m curious, and also procrastinating studying like the lot of us :)

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.48.14 AM.png

I believe they all come at the end! This was 9/20/19.

Hi! Does anyone know how they estimate "Other Reasonable Costs?" Thanks!

Hi! Does anyone know how they estimate "Other Reasonable Costs?" Thanks!

I think there’s some communication with the school and reference to the cost of education document that was submitted!

Does anyone know if I were to apply to the NHSC Loan repayment option, would that make me ineligible to apply for the NHSC Scholarship?

Does anyone know if I were to apply to the NHSC Loan repayment option, would that make me ineligible to apply for the NHSC Scholarship?

You apply to this once you actually are beginning to work and are out of school. At that point you would no longer need the Scholarship, so I don't see a scenario where this even applies unless you did LRP for a different discipline and then went back to school for another discipline, in which case I have no idea what the answer is.

Starting to wonder if they’re doing a third round this year, if they already did but none of us on here were part of it, or if they haven’t sent them out yet. Either way, I’m just going to plan on improving my app as much as possible and apply again next year. This is my first year, so still plenty of time. Congrats to those who got it!

Starting to wonder if they’re doing a third round this year, if they already did but none of us on here were part of it, or if they haven’t sent them out yet. Either way, I’m just going to plan on improving my app as much as possible and apply again next year. This is my first year, so still plenty of time. Congrats to those who got it!
Same... I don't know what to think
Anyone wanna volunteer as tribute to call? lol

If I reapply next year, do I need to get new letters of recommendation?

Just thought this would be helpful for this year's cycle
2020 Dates
Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - Aug 10
2nd round - ???
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 19
2nd round - Aug 25
3rd round - ????
Counter-signature Notification:
1st round -
2nd round -
3rd round -

• Hmm
Reactions: 12 users
Same... I don't know what to think
Anyone wanna volunteer as tribute to call? lol
Just from experience of calling so many times, the people on the other side of the 1-800 number are a lot of times just as clueless as we are, and are usually reading off of the NHSC manual/packet we are provided. I had one of the operators read me word for word what it said in the packet when I called in reference to the credit check. Not to negate their job or efforts, but all the answers they've given me are either in the packet or on the website. :(

I just received the finalist email! I have been given until September 8th to respond.

Reactions: 8 users
I just received the finalist email! I have been given until September 8th to respond.
Congrats!! Looks like there was a third round after all! Anyone else get a finalist email today?

Can the uploaded EVF and W-4 be in JPG format or must be in PDF?

Can the uploaded EVF and W-4 be in JPG format or must be in PDF?

I did pdf’s since they always seem to be the safest, although JPG might be fine. If you search “convert jpg to pdf” on Google there are all kinds of websites where you can upload the jpg and it will convert it to pdf for free. Here’s one: Convert JPG Images to PDF Documents Online

Hellow to all!!!
was a third round performed?
I believe so. Someone posted last Thursday saying that they got a third round finalist email and the deadline to respond is tomorrow.

• Okay...
Just Updating things

2020 Dates
Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - Aug 10
2nd round - ???
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 19
2nd round - Aug 25
3rd round - Sept 3
Counter-signature Notification:
1st round -
2nd round -
3rd round -

Last edited:
I've been away for a while. 2019 1st round finalist and got notified in the 3rd round of countersignatures on 9/11/2019. Good Luck to you all and stay focused. What will be will be (easy to say), but I hope you all get it. This is an incredible scholarship and an unbelievable feeling. *fingers, toes, eyes, legs, and arms crossed for you all*

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I've been away for a while. 2019 1st round finalist and got notified in the 3rd round of countersignatures on 9/11/2019. Good Luck to you all and stay focused. What will be will be (easy to say), but I hope you all get it. This is an incredible scholarship and an unbelievable feeling. *fingers, toes, eyes, legs, and arms crossed for you all*
Is there any correlation between the round you land in as a finalist and the round you get countersigned?

Do we think they'll wait the almost 3 weeks before signing like last year...? :unsure:

Do we think they'll wait the almost 3 weeks before signing like last year...? :unsure:

Who knows lol. For whatever reason I have a good feeling about next Monday, or week in general, though!

Is there any correlation between the round you land in as a finalist and the round you get countersigned?

Not that I can tell. 1st round finalist 3rd countersign. No correlation there at all.

This might be a silly question, but does anyone know around how many NHSC dental scholars there are each year?