NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
Countersigned 10:04 am by Jamie King! NP student, 2 years funding, 1st round finalist, last name A. Congratulations to all!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
What exactly do we do after getting a countersignature? Is now too early to alert our school financial aid office that we received a nhsc scholarship?

What exactly do we do after getting a countersignature? Is now too early to alert our school financial aid office that we received a nhsc scholarship?

I am waiting for the official email from them before telling my school in hopes NHSC gives further guidance and may have paperwork to hand over to the school! 9/30 is pretty close anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does a counter sign mean you got the scholarship? Or is there still a chance that you can be denied? I don't want to celebrate prematurely...

Reactions: 1 user
Countersigned 10:09AM ET by Jamie King!! PA student, 2 years funding.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!! I have made a Facebook group for 2020 scholars. Here is the link:

Reactions: 5 users
Does a counter sign mean you got the scholarship? Or is there still a chance that you can be denied? I don't want to celebrate prematurely...
If you got a signature, you got the scholarship! Its a contract. If both parties have signed, it is binding. Now go celebrate!

I think it is more that you lucked out than this being information to take with a grain of salt. Advice to follow directions for any situation isn’t bad advice and people are probably disqualified all the time for less. Congratulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Hi everyone question...I️ received a counter signature on the 18th, but my portal still says "finalist - under final review". Is this normal? or has everyone who has recieved counter signature changed?

Hi everyone question...I️ received a counter signature on the 18th, but my portal still says "finalist - under final review". Is this normal? or has everyone who has recieved counter signature changed?
From what people have been saying, it may take a few days for the portal to change! I got a countersignature and my portal still says under review! Congrats btw (:)

From what people have been saying, it may take a few days for the portal to change! I got a countersignature and my portal still says under review! Congrats btw :))
Okay awesome! Thank you. Congrats to you as wel!!

Is the Facebook group just for dental students? Totally fine, if so! I am an MD student and wasn't sure but have found this forum so useful :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Update

2020 Dates

Credit Check: Shown on Equifax credit report from "Credco" — can be seen on Credit Karma

1st round - Aug 10
2nd round - None Reported

Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 19
2nd round - Aug 25
3rd round - Sept 4
4th round - Sept 9

Counter-Signatures: Contract signed by HHS officer (Jamie King) — check by downloading contract on portal
1st round - Sept 17th
2nd round - Sept 18th
3rd round - Sept 21

My portal is updated!!! I got an email. So crazy.

My portal is updated!!! I got an email. So crazy.

Is your status also "Contact BHW"? Also is anyone able to find the forms to hand over to the school? The "NHSC SP Guidelines For Your School" document is grayed out for me and it says I need to submit an inquiry to get it. Wondering if they just haven't updated the portal completely yet or if I will actually need to reach out today!

Is your status also "Contact BHW"? Also is anyone able to find the forms to hand over to the school? The "NHSC SP Guidelines For Your School" document is grayed out for me and it says I need to submit an inquiry to get it. Wondering if they just haven't updated the portal completely yet or if I will actually need to reach out today!

Mine is all the same and I was wondering as well. I’m probably going to call shortly.

Mine is all the same and I was wondering as well. I’m probably going to call shortly.

She said she's not sure what's going on. I am assuming it is because it just opened!

She said she's not sure what's going on. I am assuming it is because it just opened!

Saw this after I called, but the guy I spoke to said I needed to use the “Ask a question” option on the bottom left of the portal home screen to request the document? He said it will take 3-5 days to get a response. Not sure if this is accurate, buttttttt I did it anyways.

Saw this after I called, but the guy I spoke to said I needed to use the “Ask a question” option on the bottom left of the portal home screen to request the document? He said it will take 3-5 days to get a response. Not sure if this is accurate, buttttttt I did it anyways.
I will do the same. Thank you!

So I think I found the way to access the “NHSC SP Guidelines For Your School”, when you click the link to BHW from your email it brings you to a congrats page, then click “View My Service Information and Documents” link, then open all the other links, the Award Letter will have a link to again the BHW but this time when you click it from the Award Letter you are directed to your BHW home page and from there go to “MY SERVICE INFORMATION” on the right and click “View My Service Information and Documents” and it it now activated for you to view. Hope that made sense!

Does anyone know when we get the stipend/ORC amount in our accounts?

Usually everything comes before the end of October. You’ll get your ORC and stipend back paid all the way from July. From then on, your stipend will come the last week of each month.

Is there a welcome presentation or anything? If so, when does it usually happen?

Usually everything comes before the end of October. You’ll get your ORC and stipend back paid all the way from July. From then on, your stipend will come the last week of each month.
Awesome! Thank you so much! Did anyone get anything other than the guideline packet for the school? I have not gotten anything else so far so I am not 100% on all the next steps.

I just got the email that I got it. Im so happy! This was my second time applying. I was a 3rd round finalist. Congrats to everyone!

Question - my portal has a contract but no where to turn it in? Also what is a counter signature? b/c i got a welcome email.

Is there a welcome presentation or anything? If so, when does it usually happen?
There used to be a conference actually. Then they changed it to a webinar. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just sent out a PowerPoint now. But there should be something. Not too much more helpful information, just stats and general info that you probably already had.

Awesome! Thank you so much! Did anyone get anything other than the guideline packet for the school? I have not gotten anything else so far so I am not 100% on all the next steps.
The guideline packet for the school is all I got. From here, there isn’t much you need to do other than inform the school. They should know what to do assuming they have had scholars in the past. If they don’t, they should be able to contact the NHSC for more information.

If something like scrubs isn't included in ORC but they are mandatory to wear in school can we upload proof of purchase later on and get reimbursed after November? Or, must be done prior to ORC disbursement in late October? Wish they gave a bit more guidance on the logistics of it all!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone! I extensively talked to my financial aid counselor yesterday about how payments work and it was VERY helpful (I encourage you all to do the same with yours; they know a lot). The main info I wanted to share is that the deadline to return federal loans without interest or anything else being charged is November 28th. She really explained that there is no rush to return the money just yet and encouraged me to hold on to my Unsub loan money just until our 1st disbursement with back pay comes in October so that we will have money to live off of until then. I hope this is helpful!

I think it is more that you lucked out than this being information to take with a grain of salt. Advice to follow directions for any situation isn’t bad advice and people are probably disqualified all the time for less. Congratulations.

Calm down people. Jeez. I didn’t mean you lucked out by getting the scholarship, I meant you lucked out by not being disqualified for not following directions. Yes, it is a little detail, but like I said, people probably get disqualified for less. It’s just government bureaucracy. Nothing personal. I have been involved in the NHSC application process giving advice and helping people on this forum for almost 8 years, including receiving the 4 year scholarship myself, so I think I know a thing or two about the process. For things like this, details matter. And it is important that future applicants know that.
I would have replied to your message privately, but you closed your message to replies.
Good luck with school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else get more help about what to do next? My financial aid office asked me if I’m sponsored by the HRSA? I’m like a sponsorship does not equal a scholarship? Anyone have info on this?

Anyone else get more help about what to do next? My financial aid office asked me if I’m sponsored by the HRSA? I’m like a sponsorship does not equal a scholarship? Anyone have info on this?
The scholarship is through HRSA so whether they call it a sponsorship or scholarship, they can get more info from HRSA. If you tell them to treat it like a military scholarship (but bill HRSA instead of whatever branch of the military), then they can adjust your tuition/fees based on what is not received from HRSA and you can pay the rest once you receive the ORC. I don’t know the specific details of your university’s inner workings, but generally financial aid offices/bursars are familiar with how to bill 3rd parties. They just need to know who to send it to and the NHSC (or HRSA if they already have a contact) should be able to answer that for them.

do you lose out on the loan origination fee when the loans are returned to the servicer?

or when the school invoices NHSC for tuition & fees and return money to the loan servicer, it's as if you never borrowed in the first place?

do you lose out on the loan origination fee when the loans are returned to the servicer?

or when the school invoices NHSC for tuition & fees and return money to the loan servicer, it's as if you never borrowed in the first place?

I'm 99% sure it is as if you never borrowed it. Just need to make sure it is returned within the first 120 days of disbursement.

I'm 99% sure it is as if you never borrowed it. Just need to make sure it is returned within the first 120 days of disbursement.

I'm a bit anxious since I saw that my school did not return all of my loans to the loan servicer (I only borrowed enough for tuition/fees) and did not invoice NHSC for my full tuition! I'll get an answer this week from student accounts I'm sure, but was curious to know what other's experiences were.

I'm a bit anxious since I saw that my school did not return all of my loans to the loan servicer (I only borrowed enough for tuition/fees) and did not invoice NHSC for my full tuition! I'll get an answer this week from student accounts I'm sure, but was curious to know what other's experiences were.

Odd they didn't invoice the full tuition unless it is done per semester? How were you able to see what they invoiced them though? Does it show up on the portal when it happens or something?

Odd they didn't invoice the full tuition unless it is done per semester? How were you able to see what they invoiced them though? Does it show up on the portal when it happens or something?

Yeah, it was on my portal as amount due. Checked my loan servicer's site and there was money borrowed for tuition/fees returned minus a couple thousand. So I assume that the amount due on my portal is what is being invoiced.

Yeah, it was on my portal as amount due. Checked my loan servicer's site and there was money borrowed for tuition/fees returned minus a couple thousand. So I assume that the amount due on my portal is what is being invoiced.

When you say portal are you referring to your school's or the NHSC Participant Portal? Sorry for the confusion!

When you say portal are you referring to your school's or the NHSC Participant Portal? Sorry for the confusion!

Oh no that's my bad! I mean my school's portal. I do not have any "activities pending" on the NHSC portal.

Does anyone know if our school financial aid office must reach out to HRSA to initiate the refund of loans, or does HRSA initiate contact with the school first?

Does anyone know if our school financial aid office must reach out to HRSA to initiate the refund of loans, or does HRSA initiate contact with the school first?

Based on what I read in the guidelines document, it seems the school needs to reach out to HRSA to receive payment of the tuition/fees. Not exactly sure how the loans are returned to the federal loan providers, but I would assume that it is a separate process the school does than billing HRSA.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on what I read in the guidelines document, it seems the school needs to reach out to HRSA to receive payment of the tuition/fees. Not exactly sure how the loans are returned to the federal loan providers, but I would assume that it is a separate process the school does than billing HRSA.
This is correct. The school bills HRSA/NHSC. Once the school receives the funds, they (the school) refund the loans.

Curious about something. I got the scholarship. Now my school is saying because I took the full amount of loans for fall and summer, I have to give up my stipend payment for July-November. Anyone else hear of this or have this issue?

Curious about something. I got the scholarship. Now my school is saying because I took the full amount of loans for fall and summer, I have to give up my stipend payment for July-November. Anyone else hear of this or have this issue?
That shouldn't be the case if you haven't spent the full disbursement of the loan. I am planning to return my loan and "replace" some of the money I have spent (with the stipend), but you shouldn't have to give up your entire stipend (unless you have spent the entire loan already)

I just emailed my financial aid advisor the “guidelines for your school” document as a pdf attachment. It’s short and to the point, and I’ve also discussed getting the scholarship with her in person so she’s aware. Now how about the ORC? What’s the deal with that? How do we go about writing up a list and submitting it? I read the guide and it’s a little vague..