NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
Does anyone know if the NHSC scholarships are offered for 2 year increments?

Yup - I think that’s the minimum amount of service you need to payback even if you only got it for 1 year, but you can certainly indicate you would want it for 2 years when you apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup - I think that’s the minimum amount of service you need to payback even if you only got it for 1 year, but you can certainly indicate you would want it for 2 years when you apply.
Awesome, ty for your help

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to apply for this scholarship before you start medical school, or is it possible to apply once your in school and use it for your remaining years?

Do you have to apply for this scholarship before you start medical school, or is it possible to apply once your in school and use it for your remaining years?

You can apply while you’re in school!

Based on last year's Finalist results, we should hear something on or around August 8th.

Reactions: 4 users
Based on last year's Finalist results, we should hear something on or around August 8th.

Seems like in years past there were usually some kind of credit check in June? I figure that would be a few weeks later this year due to COVID pushing the application due date back.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like in years past there were usually some kind of credit check in June? I figure that would be a few weeks later this year due to COVID pushing the application due date back.

Last year it was in mid-July. You're right that it'll be delayed most likely.

I'm currently in the application cycle for dental school right now- if I want to receive the NHSC scholarship for all 4 years, am I supposed to apply for it right now? Thank you in advance.

I'm currently in the application cycle for dental school right now- if I want to receive the NHSC scholarship for all 4 years, am I supposed to apply for it right now? Thank you in advance.
Nope, wait until youre accepted then apply the spring of your matriculating year. You can always prep essays and LoRs though!

Nope, wait until youre accepted then apply the spring of your matriculating year. You can always prep essays and LoRs though!

Oh, I see! That was extremely helpful, thank you kind sir!

When I apply for the NHSC, is it binding to the school I indicated on my application?
For ex, if I get off a waitlist off a school, decide to attend, and its different from the one I put on my app, does my app become nullified?

Oh, I see! That was extremely helpful, thank you kind sir!

When I apply for the NHSC, is it binding to the school I indicated on my application?
For ex, if I get off a waitlist off a school, decide to attend, and its different from the one I put on my app, does my app become nullified?

I’m not sure on this one—maybe try @cooliyak. One thing though is before the deadline you can withdraw and resubmit, so presumably before then youd be fine switching schools. Afterward I don’t see why they wouldn’t let you assuming you got the award, but again not sure.

I’m not sure on this one—maybe try @cooliyak. One thing though is before the deadline you can withdraw and resubmit, so presumably before then youd be fine switching schools. Afterward I don’t see why they wouldn’t let you assuming you got the award, but again not sure.
Yeah, that’s a tough one. I’ve heard both sides. A classmate of mine was disqualified for doing that, but someone in here not too long ago said they successfully switched. I would just say keep the NHSC informed of everything as it happens. Better yet, tell them beforehand and your outcome will probably be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
@cooliyak do you or others who have received the scholarship know anything about how our FAFSA plays into the application selection process?

Haven't heard a thing. We probably have at least a week or more before the first round of credit checks.

Reactions: 6 users
Last year I got the credit check July 15th, so we are getting close! I just hope that Covid19 isn't going to push everything back a week or two...
So you got the credit check but didn't get the scholarship?

So you got the credit check but didn't get the scholarship?
That happened to me too. Got the credit check but not the scholarship, which is extra sad since the credit check knocks your FICO score a little bit :/

Yes sir/ma'am. To say it was disappointing, would be an understatement.

I wonder if they do credit check on all applicants or only on "semi-finalist"?

Did anyone re-apply and eventually get awarded?

I wonder if they do credit check on all applicants or only on "semi-finalist"?

Did anyone re-apply and eventually get awarded?
I think they credit check anyone who submits a completed application w/o errors. But I have no evidence to support my hypothesis.

Reactions: 1 users
I just recently have signed up for a credit card (literally maybe a week ago) but otherwise have no credit score to my knowledge. Do you all feel as though that might be a bad thing if they check and can not find a credit score for me? I have no outstanding loans (besides the student loans I am signed up for this year), defaulted loans, or anything like that. I simply just do not have a credit score.

I just recently have signed up for a credit card (literally maybe a week ago) but otherwise have no credit score to my knowledge. Do you all feel as though that might be a bad thing if they check and can not find a credit score for me? I have no outstanding loans (besides the student loans I am signed up for this year), defaulted loans, or anything like that. I simply just do not have a credit score.

I think they only do it to check for delinquencies, so I bet you're fine.

What happens if I don’t have a credit card? Do I need to get one so they can check or is that not necessary

What happens if I don’t have a credit card? Do I need to get one so they can check or is that not necessary
I don't think that's necessary. Like the poster above said, it's probably more to check for payment history or delinquencies

How do we know when they start doing credit checks? Will be notified by credit karma, etc.

How do we know when they start doing credit checks? Will be notified by credit karma, etc.

You will be notified by credit karma. I received a credit check last year on this day exactly one year ago (July 15, 2019), but did not receive the scholarship. I’m applying now for the 3-year scholarship. If you don’t have credit karma I recommend getting it for this and simply for keeping your credit score in check. If you don’t have credit karma or another credit monitoring app, I don’t know how you will know if/when they check your credit.

If you have a credit monitoring service, they will notify you. Credit karma is the most popular.

I was crossing my fingers to see some sort of credit check yesterday. It seems like all the dates posted in my original post might be delayed. The best we could do is be patient, kinda brings me back to waiting for dental school acceptances :laugh:. Best of luck to you all!

I was crossing my fingers to see some sort of credit check yesterday. It seems like all the dates posted in my original post might be delayed. The best we could do is be patient, kinda brings me back to waiting for dental school acceptances :laugh:. Best of luck to you all!
It’s like the old saying goes:

“A watched pot never boils.”

Just be patient!

Does anyone know how many dental NHSC scholarship awards are typically granted each year?

Does anyone know how many dental NHSC scholarship awards are typically granted each year?

It varies from year to year, but it's been between 150 - 200 awards in the past few years and this encompasses all disciplines (medicine, dental, PA, etc).

I have seen the chart before and MD is awarded the most. Remember that basically every health profession is vying for a scholarship, so it's extremely competitive.

I'll see if I can find it.

I have seen the chart before and MD is awarded the most. Remember that basically every health profession is vying for a scholarship, so it's extremely competitive.

I'll see if I can find it.

Trying to find the detailed breakdown. Standby.
1594916400428.png

Reactions: 9 users
The only detailed breakdown I could find is from 2016. I don't think it varies much from year to year. It looks like it varies from 40-55 dental awards are given out each year.

1594917029743.png

Here's the data

Here's the main page if guys want to dig through meeting minutes to see if or when they've discussed it since 2016.

Reactions: 7 users
The only detailed breakdown I could find is from 2016. I don't think it varies much from year to year. It looks like it varies from 40-55 dental awards are given out each year.
Here's the data

Here's the main page if guys want to dig through meeting minutes to see if or when they've discussed it since 2016.

This is super helpful, thank you!!

View attachment 313006
Here's the data

Thank you for posting this! I wasn't aware this information was online.

Thank you for posting this! I wasn't aware this information was online.
No problem! It’s the government, so most information is public if you can find it.

I love the government. "Ow" *gets hit with bottles

My approach is make plans either way

I got a credit inquiry on July 14th (credit karma didn’t let me know until July 17th) from Dept of Education. I think this is for my regular loans though.

I got a credit inquiry on July 14th (credit karma didn’t let me know until July 17th) from Dept of Education. I think this is for my regular loans though.
Yes, that is for your regular loans. The credit check from NHSC will show up as "CREDCO - Miscellaneous Reptg. Agencies" at least that is what agency they used last year.

@cooliyak do you or others who have received the scholarship know anything about how our FAFSA plays into the application selection process?

@beyondme I filled out both FAFSA and this application for NHSC last year and even had to accept all the loans, scholarship from the school, etc. that result from completing FAFSA and filling out loan promissory notes... but I let the financial aid office know I was waiting to hear back on NHSC and made sure not to "cash in on" (i.e. didn't move from their holding spot with the school into my bank account) any of the loans that had been earmarked for me. And then the financial aid office folks weren't surprised and had an easy time un-doing the federal loans etc. when I came back and said I had gotten NHSC and had to return everything.

I also had to give my billing office at my school the heads up that I would be months late on tuition and ask politely that they waive the late fees, because this wasn't a sure thing until... late September?? Far, far after fall tuition is due.

Reactions: 5 users
Ahhh.. this is like waiting for an acceptance call all over again:(

Reactions: 5 users
not yet, feels like pulling teeth with no lidocaine.

Reactions: 6 users