Jul 13, 2009
Shebulba
Status
Pre-Dental
I have a few questions for anyone with knowledge on this topic any input would be great.

1. How hard is it to get hired at a site you want to work for?

2. Do you make a decent salary on top of the 50k pay back for 2 years of service?

3. Do Scholarship receivers not make the same salary?

4. Can you work at the site for 4 years and get 100k paid back?

5. If one did the loan repayment option and 50k was taken off of the principle could one refinance the debt at that time for a lower monthly payment?

6. Do you receive any experience at all in running a practice at one of these sites?

7. While working at a NHSC site can a doctor moonlight?

Msmouth

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2010
Earth
Status
Dental Student
Excellent thread! I hope someone can answer these questions!

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Feb 25, 2011
Status
Dental Student
I have a few questions for anyone with knowledge on this topic any input would be great.

1. How hard is it to get hired at a site you want to work for?
It depends where you want to work. It is based on need at a particular location and from what I understand this changes a lot.

2. Do you make a decent salary on top of the 50k pay back for 2 years of service?
I believe it is 120k right now
3. Do Scholarship receivers not make the same salary?
I believe they receive the same salary. It is a better deal if you can get the scholarship because you have no loans and a stipend during dental school but they are getting very competitive (I remember reading something about 120 for 1400 apps in 2011 somewhere and I think the pool may include physicians and PA's/NP's). IIRC, there were only like 400 apps 5 years ago for the same amount of positions.

4. Can you work at the site for 4 years and get 100k paid back?
It depends if the classification for the site changes and if there is money to be given out still

5. If one did the loan repayment option and 50k was taken off of the principle could one refinance the debt at that time for a lower monthly payment?
Yes, through the private sector you will be able to do this but you may end up with a variable interest rate. I am not sure through the public sector.

6. Do you receive any experience at all in running a practice at one of these sites?
not sure
7. While working at a NHSC site can a doctor moonlight?
I believe they can, and I believe you receive 30 days vacation that you could work during as well
I tried to fill in some of the questions I knew...others I don't know. I would suggest asking similar questions either on Dental Town or on the dentist's section of this board.

I also wanted to add that I think the amount is 40k now instead of 50k and the amount is subject to change with funding for the program. I also talked to a doc that it took 10+months for his first repayment to come through and he knew of other people that their site ran out of money and they weren't getting the repayment for that given fiscal year. It sounds as if its a little bit of a gamble that the repayment will go through so you should only do this if you are interested in serving the underserved for the 120k salary + benefits like vacation days. If you get the repayment its to be viewed as gravy.

lnngu

Team Doc Toothache
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2010
Status
Dentist
Actually, see above. Sac's answers are better.

Jun 14, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Only 50 NHSC scholarships are awarded annually to dental students. I was very blessed to receive one this year. However, unless they extend section 117(c)(2) of the tax code before the New Year, we have to pay income tax on the award (stipend is already taxed but still comes out to about $1200 a month in addition to annual reasonable expense fee, which is a big chunk of change)

So please do me and all the NHSC scholars, current and future, a favor and write/email/call your representatives and tell them to extend Section 117(c)(2) so I don't have to take out loans to pay tax on my scholarship to dental school. It would be absolutely absurd. I mean, military scholars don't have to pay tax, why should we?! And we're attempting to provide a much greater service to our country to boot!