NHSC Scholarship App. -- Question on EFN Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanS32122

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:
I am filling out the NHSC Scholarship Application, and have a two questions.

(1) Number 11a asks if you were ever the recipient of an EFN Scholarship or were elligible. I looked up the definition of EFN, and I fit it (EFC < $5000 on FAFSA), but I am getting the impression from the verb tense used on the application that these scholarships are no longer available? Anyone know concretely about this?

(2) Also, 11b, how would I find out if I qualify for "disadvantaged status?" What are the criteria used? Any help is appreciated.

My financial aid office doesn't seem to know what's going on, so I thought I would ask the experts on SDN!!

Thanks guys.

Ryan.

Members don't see this ad.

RyanS32122 said:
Hello:
I am filling out the NHSC Scholarship Application, and have a two questions.

(1) Number 11a asks if you were ever the recipient of an EFN Scholarship or were elligible. I looked up the definition of EFN, and I fit it (EFC < $5000 on FAFSA), but I am getting the impression from the verb tense used on the application that these scholarships are no longer available? Anyone know concretely about this?

(2) Also, 11b, how would I find out if I qualify for "disadvantaged status?" What are the criteria used? Any help is appreciated.

My financial aid office doesn't seem to know what's going on, so I thought I would ask the experts on SDN!!

Thanks guys.

Ryan.

A) There is no longer an EFN program. This program was done away with by Congress in 1996.

B) For the disadvantaged letter, which I was able to secure, I sent my mom's tax documents, and mine, to my financial aid office of my med school. They used a criteria to see if I would be eligible for Scholarships/Loans for Disadvantaged Students or the Primary Care loan. If you would, then they write the letter. Ask your school about this.

Hope this helps :)

Hey:
Just a quick question regarding the answering of the questions. My ultimate goal is rural, underserved practice, but I am willing to practice in an urban area. In Section D-2, they ask for "Community Practice Preferences." Some questions, such as a preference for "racial/cultural diversity" or "differing lifestyles" does not characterize a rural area, so I am thinking of bubbling more on the undesirable side, but this seems to indicate that I am closed-minded to the option of urban practice. What have you guys done about this -- I wish to give the most accurate impression of myself for accurate evaluation.

This also goes for Section B-3, when they ask if you'd like a practice that is ethnically-diverse. I certainly would not mind this type of practice -- I am very open to this -- but I am thinking I should put "undesirable" just to indicate my desire for a rural area. But again this seems to indicate that I am closed-off to the idea of an urban practice, which is not true.

Any ideas are appreciated -- thanks, guys, particlularly Dr. BBasket!

Regards,

Ryan.

Hey Ryan,

I was actually in a similar situation when I was filling out my app (I am also a fellow UNECOM 2010 class member!!). As I filled out the app for this cycle I can only tell you what I did, and not whether or not it worked :)

As the app is scantron, I think bubbling in two areas may screw it up. I went for the rural as preference and then mark those atributes that reflect a rural community as having highest preference (or w/e the wording). Then, I marked those that reflect an urban community I marked with the second highest preference. Then, for the rest of the app, I showed that I was flexible while committed, in general, to seeing things through. That is what I did, certainly not the rule, but I hope it helps!

Jess

Edit: I re-read your post and realized you did not mean to mark two under one question... haha, I am pretty tired, I guess :)