NHSC Scholarship (help please)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebola95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, any feedback (both good and bad please!) out there about the National Health Service Corp Scholarship. Should I apply, is it a rip-off, how bad are the placement sites. Anything would be appreciated.

------------------
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
- Shawshank Redemption

Members don't see this ad.

Go to http://www.bphc.hrsa.gov . Click on Programs in the upper right. Then click on National Health Service Corps. It's a great program, if your are interested in working with underserved.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by togo (edited 01-15-2000).]

The NHSC may or may not be a good idea for you. The main problem involves residency
choice. Unless things have changed, you must choose primary care, (FM, general IM,
Peds, OB-GYN or psych). Choosing any other specialty will subject you to repayment,
plus a VERY stiff penalty (something outrageous like 1-2 times the amount loaned).
Also, be aware that the NHSC offers a loan repayment option after residency. If you
are ABSOLUTELY certain about your career choice look into the scholarship, otherwise
just take your school loans and keep your options open. If you end up choosing primary
care you can always apply for the loan repayment plan.

Deb
MS-3

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any experience with other loan repayment programs?

I assume different states have different offerings. I was not able to find much with a web search.

What was that web site again? I clicked on the hyperlink...but it didn't get me the web page.....

Okay, let's try that again. the website should be http://www.bphc.hrsa.gov/

That should work. Sorry about that.

Okay, I tried it myself, and it worked. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by togo (edited 01-15-2000).]