NHSC Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiovt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the NHSC scholarship. I will be starting med school in the fall and want to apply for this scholarship. One of the requirements is a form that says we are in "good academic" standing. I emailed the medical school I will be attending (unless I get off a waitlist) and they said they can't fill the form out until I enroll. The form is due before I can enroll, I think (the deadline is May 8th).

Any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't it be from your undergrad since that's the last school you were in?

Are you referring to http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/goodstandingverification.pdf ?

This Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing certifies that the student identified below has been accepted for admission OR is enrolled in good standing for the 2012-2013 school year (i.e., July 1, 2012 – June 30, 2013) as indicated. Please note all information will be verified for accuracy. (To be completed by a school official only)

It looks to me like they just have to verify that you have been accepted. Try talking to the admissions staff again, but if they insist on holding off till you enroll, perhaps wait till next year?

I'd read all the threads on NHSC before you apply (if you haven't already). They've been reality helpful in helping me determine whether it was something I wanted to do or not (I ultimately decided against it). One thing you need to keep in mind is that the government can change the rules whenever it wants which it tends to do (such as increasing the minimum score a site needs, thereby decreasing the number of potential jobs, and forcing you to go into less and less desirable locations).

From what I hear there are lots of other loan repayment systems out there if you are interested in Primary Care. Most states, and even hospitals have their own, with less harsh requirements. At the end of the day, even someone who is 99% sure they want to do primary care might change their mind after rotations.