NHSC scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

laird

does anyone have info. on the national health service corps scholarships? (full scholarship + stipend in exchange for working in underserved areas for every year you took the scholarship) where do i get the application? is it worth it?
thanks
~ana

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the URL for the website: <a href="http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/Pages/toc.htm" target="_blank">http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/Pages/toc.htm</a>. When I e-mailed them about more info, here is what they replied with.

•••quote:•••

Thank you for visiting the National Health Service Corps Web site. If you are interested in the Scholarship Program, please call 1-800-638-0824.

Thank you, National Health Service Corps
•••••Hope that helps.

i called that number and already filled out the application and returned it. The deadline is March 29 for the application, notice of good standing or acceptance (which needs to be submitted by your school), release of information form, and the contract.

I would say that if you are interested in working in an underserved area it is a great program. I would also suggest that if your school costs less than $20,000 per year you would be better off paying for it with loans and then going through the NHSC loan repayment program. As I understand it, the loan repayment program allows for $20,000 in loan forgiveness for every year you work in an approved spot. So if you go the loan repayment way you can keep your options open in case you change your mind. Of course, how many schools are less than $20,000 per year?!

And the monthly stipend is a nice added benefit.
As i recall, one of the moderators in the the osteo (or pre-osteo) forum is on an NHSC scholarship.

Also keep in mind that you don't hear about whether you have been granted an award until August and you don't see any money until October. This means that you still have the pleasure of participating in all of the student loan fun!

Good Luck!