NHSC - What are the options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAMed

VCOM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In looking for information about the NHSC's financial aid assistance, I was slightly confused as to the different options that are available. Am I correct in saying that there is a SCHOLARHIP program (which pegs you to primary care, but also provides additional stipend assistance), as well as a TUITION REIMBURSEMENT program?

If anyone knows anything about what the NHSC has to offer, I would love to know what the breakdown is, and to hear it from another student would be great (or to-be student).

Members don't see this ad.

so- the options as I understand them are:

scholarship
loan repayment program

scholarship pays your tuition/fees and provides a stipend each month that you are in school. for each year that you take scholarship you owe one year of primary care service in a HPSA after your residency- which must be in a primary care field. and there is a minimum committment of two years... i just got this scholarship so I am still learning about the program but I'll try to answer questions from my perspective if you have any others.

if you do not participate in the scholarship program and you are a primary care health care provider in a HPSA, you can apply for the loan repayment program. that program pays you some money to be applied to your student loans for each year that you serve- but I am a scholar so I am less familiar with this program and its details.

Ok, once YOUR residency training (presumably in primary care) is complete, what are your options for geographical placement? Is there a list that you can choose from? Are you assigned? Within continental United States only?

Also, are primary care specialties, such as hospitalist, or other pseudo-primary care specialties (such as emergency medicine) fulfill the commitment for repayment? In other words, do you HAVE to do GENERAL internal medicine or the like?

I hear there is some signifcant competition for scholarship spots. True? What are things they look for in candidates? How much is this "stipend" that they provide each month?

Thanks SO much for taking the time to answer these questions. It is truly a huge help to hear it from someone who is IN the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
96sable--
Hope you are doing well. I see that you received the nhsc scholarship as well...congrats. i sent my info in by the due date. have you heard from them about info on the weekend seminar? im a bit concerned about not hearing from them yet..please let me know....look forward to hearing from you..
cyoussef03

Hey-
My understanding below...

Ok, once YOUR residency training (presumably in primary care) is complete, what are your options for geographical placement?
goegraphical placement is up to you assuming you are proactive and able to secure a job before the placement cycle closes- if you don't, seems like you go where they want you to go.

Is there a list that you can choose from? on the website, you must search according to your status=- ie scholar

Are you assigned? above

Within continental United States only? and territories, alaska, hawaii, etc

Also, are primary care specialties, such as hospitalist, or other pseudo-primary care specialties (such as emergency medicine) fulfill the commitment for repayment? NO
In other words, do you HAVE to do GENERAL internal medicine or the like? YES

I hear there is some signifcant competition for scholarship spots. True? YES, I think one in seven is their quote but seems more competitive than that from the forum

What are things they look for in candidates? commitment to PC

How much is this "stipend" that they provide each month? $1100

You can get a ton of info if you read the advice on NHSC thread from applicants and scholars.... do yourself a favor and read it before going any further with the applicaiton process

Thanks SO much for taking the time to answer these questions. It is truly a huge help to hear it from someone who is IN the process.

96sable--
Hope you are doing well. I see that you received the nhsc scholarship as well...congrats. i sent my info in by the due date. have you heard from them about info on the weekend seminar? im a bit concerned about not hearing from them yet..please let me know....look forward to hearing from you..
cyoussef03

Hey-
I heard back just yesterday in the form of a simple letter that confirmed my participation in NHSC. It basically told me more info to come and gave me the name of a public health analyst that will be my primary contact throughout my NHSC in-school period. No info on the conference, which I was looking forward to getting too... if i get anything I'll post it.

I am going to put this on the other NHSC forum and put my replies there, I like the idea of everything being in one place and not starting a second thread and creating confusion...