Nice GPA, good MCAT, extraordinary schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMrSrMrsMs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, name's Khodi and I attend VTech.
I'm in the graduating class of '11, but I'm only taking 2 classes my "senior" year to fill out my major.

*I'd like to point out that while my school isn't exactly considered GREAT it is ranked 71st, not too shabby.

Major Biochemistry
cGPA 3.991
sGPA 3.978
Class rank 1 (Hoping to keep that valecdectorian status!)
MCAT Score: 41 (15,14,12)

EC's
VA Runner's club
Ran 10 K for Artificial Heart Research (5 years-ongoing)
Running Club (Not track but rather leisure running)
President of MSA (Muslim Student Assoc)
VP of ASA (Asian Student Assoc)
President of PSA (Pakistani Student Assoc)
Under Secretary General (Model United Nations, like VP)
1500 hours non-clinical volunteering
750 hours clinical volunteering

Research
- Helped with biochem professor in attempt to make artifical muscle cells from nonorganic matter mixed with bird cells (Ongoing, partially sucessful, 3 studies published)

- Collaborated with UVa's research on cardiovasular deep vein thrombosis and it's "activeness" in the prescense of various drugs.

Other's
URM - Pakistani
First Gen Student

Schools that I will be applying to
Mount Sinai (Excellent school,, 3rd choice)
JHU (1st choice, obviously)
Harvard (4th choice)
Duke (2nd choice)
Washington Uni (5th choice)
VCU (Sort of like a "safety", if such a thing exists when speaking of med school)
UVA (6th choice)
Eastern VA (Not a good school, last resort)

Thanks in advance!!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

You look to have a very, very nice application. I think I'd give you the triple crown for stats, community service, and leadership. Maybe another one if your research involvement was 2+ year, considering all the pubs.

I think you have an extremely good chance at an acceptance at some of the listed schools, assuming strong LORs, intriguing PS, and good interview skills. Well done.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, for the record I am not a troll. VTech was the school I chose over UVa, because I wanted a somewhat relaxed learning environment. Whereas UVa is almost impossible, VTech is average, and though you have to work some long nights, it's totally possible to attain the GPA that I have. I've basically worked my butt off these last 3 or so years in hopes of getting into an accredited Medical School.

I had a really bad HS experience, averaging only a 3.602 UW (3.9 W), so I made it my number one priority to get good grades in college.

The Tech experience has been awesome and, keeping my GPA in mind, I know I made the right decision of taking Tech over UVa, even though UVa had been my dream school.

Catalystik, thank you so much for your review. I'm a little anxious about applying and hope that all works out in the end!

More advice is always welcome!

Welcome to Harvard.

Amazing application.

Thank you, you don't how much reassurance that gives me. Pre-Med students are pretty hardcore, and since I didn't go to a top 50 Uni, I thought that might put me out of the running. I'm excited to get into the admissions process and hope things work out. Harvard is an excellent school and I believe it will be tough to gain admission there, but my hope is alive!

You're the reason why it's terribly difficult for the rest of us pre-meds to get into top schools.

Thank GOD we're not applying in the same cycle.

Kudos to you on your awesome app! I don't think you have much to worry about.

Umm.. you are not URM if you are Pakistani. Trust me.

You'll probably have your pick of schools as long as your PS is not a doozy, and you have decent interviewing skills. Congratulations!!! Seriously, nice work.