Nice locations with good medical centers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, there is some major SEC pride bubbling to the surface in this thread.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm from the state just to Dre's north, which I think is absolutely stunning. Did you know the central Appalachian plateau is the most biodiverse area in the entire world outside of the Amazonian basin? That's right, you didn't. Although I'm not quite ready to go minting tourist literature just yet, I have gotten to live and travel through a significant portion of the globe and do wish there was a way to come back. It is just a wonderful place to be from.

And even though my college town was very lovely, family-friendly, and teeming with blooded horses, we actually (begrudgingly) thought Knoxville was a little hipper.

Members don't see this ad.

shorts.
Birmingham would be a good option as well. I'm sure there are places in the Midwest that people like, I just can't imagine why personally.
Because they were born and bred and there, and don't know any better. :D

Sorry, no offence to Midwesterners out there. My husband is from Midwest, and he is actually missing -30 F winters and 90F summers with 80% humidity. Just something you grow up with, I guess - like "comfort climate":)

Wow, there is some major SEC pride bubbling to the surface in this thread.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm from the state just to Dre's north, which I think is absolutely stunning. Did you know the central Appalachian plateau is the most biodiverse area in the entire world outside of the Amazonian basin? That's right, you didn't. Although I'm not quite ready to go minting tourist literature just yet, I have gotten to live and travel through a significant portion of the globe and do wish there was a way to come back. It is just a wonderful place to be from.

And even though my college town was very lovely, family-friendly, and teeming with blooded horses, we actually (begrudgingly) thought Knoxville was a little hipper.

Unfortunately, I'm not in Tennessee anymore. But I shall return, God willing, when I complete my residency. I will always bleed orange, and talk trash about any school that isn't Tennessee. Big ups to the Vols.

From my part of the world and maybe places you hadn't thought of.

Maine Medical Center - Portland, ME is a really sweet city if you're a fairly open minded. Don't know too much about the medical center.

UVM (Fletcher Allen)- Burlington, VT is also a sweet city with a gorgeous lake (Champlain) and a solid medical center

Dartmouth- Lebanon/Hanover, NH is a cool place to raise a family. Especially nice if you like to ski. Gorgeous hospital. MUCH MUCH smaller than the above cities.

You probably know about most of these places if you've schooled in Boston.

Agree, agree and agree. I matched in anesthesia at Vermont. The PD had said that they are trying to start categorial programs for next year.

The no1 place for location and cush training BY FAR is Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in CA.

There really isnt a place I think that is comparable, at least not anymore.

C-U-S-H can not really describe it. Its like going to work at the Four Seasons Spa or some crap.

they only have limited residencies tho and its crazy competitive from what I hear.

I can echo that, LADoc. We've sent a couple of people out there for prelim years and they've been the envy of their med school classes as soon as the word gets out.

From my part of the world and maybe places you hadn't thought of.

Maine Medical Center - Portland, ME is a really sweet city if you're a fairly open minded. Don't know too much about the medical center.

UVM (Fletcher Allen)- Burlington, VT is also a sweet city with a gorgeous lake (Champlain) and a solid medical center

Dartmouth- Lebanon/Hanover, NH is a cool place to raise a family. Especially nice if you like to ski. Gorgeous hospital. MUCH MUCH smaller than the above cities.

You probably know about most of these places if you've schooled in Boston.

Would HIGHLY recommend Maine Med - it has a great EM program (I rotated there, interviewed there, and can say it probably has some of the happiest residents anywhere), and I also rotated through Anesthesia, and the residents seemed very happy as well. It's a bit smaller, more community feel, but they see a variety of patients, and Portland is a beautiful place to live.

Fletcher Allen has no EM residency program, neither does Dartmouth. PM me if you have any questions about Maine Med!

Best of luck!

The Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee has a beautiful hospital and Milwaukee seems like a nice fun city, and it's only 1.5 hrs away from Chicago.

There's actually a PGY-3 Surgery position available at Cottage (advertised in the Open Positions forum), for anyone needing a pedicure and massage with their residency. :D

:laugh: Funny you should mention it. But, there is a "wellness" benefit that can be used for spa treatments or the in house massage therapist that comes into the hospital. But seriously, we're hard core.

And I do (am admiring my pedicure as I type this), but I coulda used a massage much more during residency. Besides, even if I can afford them, I have to pay for them, as they are not included in my current health plan.:p

Don't you make more in two months than I make in a year?

Yeah... :)

Ok, I wasn't looking for sympathy, but you gotta admit, a residency health plan with coverage for spa treatments and massages? That's pretty nice, even if I can pay for them now.

Ah, I missed that part. Yes, if massages were covered by the residency program? That would be sweet!

UT Knoxville (last I heard) is getting an EM program. Was told they start either this year or next.

I agree with Dr D about TN- it's awesome. That said, in the SE these other places are great for training: Wake, Vanderbilt, both
USC Columbia/Palmetto Health and MUSC. When I told my classmate I matched at SC, he almost clawed my eyes out- he was je-a-lous.

I think Kentucky is great, but don't have personal (interview) experience.I live in the southeast and I have been all over the place, but never to Gainsville. No one will go there with me, or allow me to go there. Lots of dire warnings to stay the heck away.

As far as AZ goes, also check out Tucson (U of AZ).

Switching climates completely, Portland OR is wonderful-but I think too competitive for your situation (tons of AMG's wanna be there). I'd live there over Seattle any day.