Nicest rejection letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boston University's letter was both apologetic and direct. They went out of their way to make it sound even nicer than it should have been. Plus they have nice letterhead. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Mayo's wasn't too harsh! I think it's just the context of the letter (robbing applicants pre-secondary, hahaha) that is bad.

Last year I got one from Wash U post interview that stated, "despite your academic accomplishments we could not afford you a spot in our class, we hope that you chose our fine hospital and facilities for your post graduate training". It was nice to see that they assumed you would be accepted from somewhere else and do well enough to train at Wash U. They really have a top notch admissions process for applicants, even if they seem to pride themselves on having the highest MCAT/GPA numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost started this thread after getting the UCSF rejection letter. I wanted to call them up and tell them, "Its okay, I understand..."

Jeffy said:
Boston University's letter was both apologetic and direct. They went out of their way to make it sound even nicer than it should have been. Plus they have nice letterhead. :thumbup:

I agree that they were nice, but they still rejected me!

Last year they were the nicest of all the rejection letters I got. They make you feel kind of good about yourself while gently letting you down. The other schools should have a look at their letter.

You guys actually read your letters? I wish my letters came with a subject heading like: You're in, You're rejected, or You're kinda in so call us in 6 months.

Better yet, color coded letters so reading them really was optional. Unless there is a personal hand written note, I'm skimming for info.

On the subject of BU, I'd like to hear anything from them at this point...

Reckoning said:
You guys actually read your letters? I wish my letters came with a subject heading like: You're in, You're rejected, or You're kinda in so call us in 6 months.

Better yet, color coded letters so reading them really was optional. Unless there is a personal hand written note, I'm skimming for info.

On the subject of BU, I'd like to hear anything from them at this point...

i honestly don't think 'd find any rejection letter nice..the underlying message says it all no matter how pretty they paint it :thumbdown:

Psycho Doctor said:
i honestly don't think 'd find any rejection letter nice..the underlying message says it all no matter how pretty they paint it :thumbdown:

Way to turn this thread really negative, dude :thumbdown:

Don't hate. That's what the "Everyone" section in the Drs. Lounge is for.

Cat's Meow said:
Way to turn this thread really negative, dude :thumbdown:

Don't hate. That's what the "Everyone" section in the Drs. Lounge is for.

i'm not hating anything except rejection letters, and i'm only being honest.

i also didn't realize the 'Everyone' section was for hate. i don't hate anyone.

Psycho Doctor said:
i'm not hating anything except rejection letters, and i'm only being honest.

i also didn't realize the 'Everyone' section was for hate. i don't hate anyone.

Have you read some of the comments in the 'Everyone' section? Yikes. Anti-Arab and anti-foreigner and anti-gay comments galore. A lot of hating there.

I'm going to agree with Psycho Doctor and say that no matter how nicely the adcom has padded a rejection letter with condescending BS, it's still a rejection.

Pinkertinkle said:
I'm going to agree with Psycho Doctor and say that no matter how nicely the adcom has padded a rejection letter with condescending BS, it's still a rejection.

True. But some schools do it better than others and are more respectful to the applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinkertinkle said:

Well, I realized early on that I would most likely get about 20 or so rejections over the course of the application cycle, regardless of where they come from. With that expectation in mind, I could kinda care less about these rejections, as long I get a couple acceptances. So, rejection letters don't really phase me. I dunno, it just kinda seems obvious to me.

No need to get butt-hurt over these things. :thumbup:

i just got my first from pritzker. i thought it was nice cause it kept saying my name making it seem less impersonal... you know, it wasn't just a copy they sent to everyone. i think once you get an acceptance you don't mind anymore. in fact, if i get rejected from everywhere else i won't care. i mean, i want those cali interviews, but other than that, send the rejections my way! i just want to know one way or the other already!

Jeffy said:
Yeah, I was just at BU for an interview, the one dean for admissions that talks seems like a pretty nice guy (if not a little odd). However, I wouldn't sweat getting the rejection letter...you aren't missing much. Out of the 10 schools I have been to so far, I have to say BU is last with a bullet. Even if it came down to only getting in there, I don't think I would go. I really disliked just about everything about the place: curriculum, facilities, students, etc.

Psycho Doctor said:

I have to agree and have to laugh that we would actually try to convince ourselves that **** smells differently based on it's wrapping paper. I get a kick out of our rationalization techniques.... not to imply I don't employ them myself. ;)

Cat's Meow said:
Have you read some of the comments in the 'Everyone' section? Yikes. Anti-Arab and anti-foreigner and anti-gay comments galore. A lot of hating there.

well i've read some of it; i'd like to deceive myself and think that most people just have strong opinions in their discussions and don't really hate anyone...i know that is really true for me.

Last year, NJMS let me down nicely. They even said they'd look forward to seeing my application next year.

So far, I have to say that UCSF had the nicest letter. They sounded genuinely sorry that they couldn't have me attend there school. It's ok, I was sorry too, but I didn't really want to go to California anyway. So, it's cool!

DianaLynne said:
So far, I have to say that UCSF had the nicest letter. They sounded genuinely sorry that they couldn't have me attend there school. It's ok, I was sorry too, but I didn't really want to go to California anyway. So, it's cool!

What's wrong with California that you wouldn't want to go :confused: ?

FaytlND said:
Yeah, I was just at BU for an interview, the one dean for admissions that talks seems like a pretty nice guy (if not a little odd). However, I wouldn't sweat getting the rejection letter...you aren't missing much. Out of the 10 schools I have been to so far, I have to say BU is last with a bullet. Even if it came down to only getting in there, I don't think I would go. I really disliked just about everything about the place: curriculum, facilities, students, etc.

I can't believe you wouldn't go to a quality school if you only got in to one place. That's ******ed.

FaytlND said:

What are the other 9 schools that you are comparing it to?

LauraMac said:
i just got my first from pritzker. i thought it was nice cause it kept saying my name making it seem less impersonal... you know, it wasn't just a copy they sent to everyone. i think once you get an acceptance you don't mind anymore. in fact, if i get rejected from everywhere else i won't care. i mean, i want those cali interviews, but other than that, send the rejections my way! i just want to know one way or the other already!

pritzker's left a mark. perhaps it was my first, but it broke my young heart. the stationary was so cool looking! there is this part in the film "bottle rocket" where someone insults owen wilson's clothes. luke wilson tries to cheer him up by saying "yeah but did you see what he was wearing" and he gets all despondent and says "yeah...it was pretty cool..." well thats how i felt. goddamn u chicago, i put your gpa and mcat average to shame so you can eat me.

stinkycheese said:
I can't believe you wouldn't go to a quality school if you only got in to one place. That's ******ed.
******ed? First, to my knowledge there is at least one other regular poster here who got into another school last year and is reapplying this year. Also, I am entitled to my opinion about the school, and I would not got somewhere where I think that I would be miserable for 4 years Not to say that it is like that for everyone...I am sure that there are people that love BU. I am not taking anything away from them, I just don't think it is right for me.

As for where I am comparing it to, its a wide range of schools...some top 10, but also places like AECOM, Ohio State, and NYU.

stinkycheese said:

Please don't use "******ed" to as a derogatory term. I know you probably don't mean anything by it, but it is still offensive to those of us who are close to people who have developmental disablities. Thank you. :)

FaytlND said:
******ed? First, to my knowledge there is at least one other regular poster here who got into another school last year and is reapplying this year. Also, I am entitled to my opinion about the school, and I would not got somewhere where I think that I would be miserable for 4 years Not to say that it is like that for everyone...I am sure that there are people that love BU. I am not taking anything away from them, I just don't think it is right for me.

Hey, I don't care if you hate BU, but you shouldn't wait until you have an acceptance there to withdraw. You know you wouldn't go if you got in only there? Then withdraw. Let someone else have the chance. It's stupid to turn down an offer of admission, not because you should necessarily go to a school you don't like, but because you should withdraw before you get that acceptance anyway.

stinkycheese said:
Hey, I don't care if you hate BU, but you shouldn't wait until you have an acceptance there to withdraw. You know you wouldn't go if you got in only there? Then withdraw. Let someone else have the chance. It's stupid to turn down an offer of admission, not because you should necessarily go to a school you don't like, but because you should withdraw before you get that acceptance anyway.
Uhh...I did withdraw. I never said I was going to wait and see if i got an acceptance. I was simply using that as a way to describe theway I felt about the place.

I don't EVER read my rejection letters. I look at the first sentence and throw it away.

Mathilda said:
I don't EVER read my rejection letters. I look at the first sentence and throw it away.

Haha, my friend started throwing thin envelopes directly into the garbage. Turns out one of her acceptances came in a thin envelope, and she only later found out she got in online!

Homer Simpson said:
Haha, my friend started throwing thin envelopes directly into the garbage. Turns out one of her acceptances came in a thin envelope, and she only later found out she got in online!

You realise this post is like 3 years old! :scared:

sonyvaio2700 said:
You realise this post is like 3 years old! :scared:

I find it very odd an acceptance would come in a thin envelope. At least schools don't give false hope and give large packets with rejection letters lol.

Schools should totally send "rejection packets" just to screw with people's minds. Man, if I were a dean of admissions I'd totally do it...

acrobat said:
I find it very odd an acceptance would come in a thin envelope. At least schools don't give false hope and give large packets with rejection letters lol.
my friend said that a bunch of her acceptances last year came in thin envelopes (with packets to follow a few weeks later). so don't throw those away!!! :eek:

Homer Simpson said:
Wow way to bring back a thread from the dead. I'm prolly the only OP who isn't long gone.